5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roll n Lock m series vs. retraxONE MX

Bayou

Reaction score
Anyone have experiences with either/both? Looking for affordable security in a retractable.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have been searching for a replacement to my Extang Black Max. I have been in contact with Luke from Truck Alterations and has given me info on my preferences. His name comes up often on the 5th gen forum and all are positive. He is knowledgeable, quick to respond and no games played with pricing.
One website I had to explain to the "salesman" about the cover material on the Extang Exceed. He was appreciative of the info and I was left unimpressed.
From what I can see from the forum posts an my own experience, Luke is the best resource for determining what will fit your needs/options and budget.

This is a compilation of Tonneau covers. Don't know if this helps in your situation.

Last edited:

FL Laramie

Reaction score
I read all the reviews and comparison threads on here regarding the roll covers. I ended up buying the Truck Covers USA brand. https://www.truckcoversusa.com/american-roll-cover/ The main reason I chose this over the Roll n Lock brand is that the canister is smaller on the Truck Covers brand. My boss has the Roll n Lock and can't fit anything underneath the canister, basically a lot of dead space under there. I've got more room underneath and use that area to store a Home Depot DeWalt toolbox with all my toe straps, jumper cables, etc. inside of it. I'm very satisfied with Truck Covers USA and would purchase it again. Hope this helps.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Luke from Truck Alterations made my decision easy with his knowledge on bed covers. Very easy to work with those guys. Had an issue with a small broken piece when shipment came in but they took care of it without any questions and had replacement parts shipped next day.

Jako

Reaction score
Luke from Truck Alterations made my decision easy with his knowledge on bed covers. Very easy to work with those guys. Had an issue with a small broken piece when shipment came in but they took care of it without any questions and had replacement parts shipped next day.
Agree, he makes it easy.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with the the RetraxPRO MX retractable Premium Aluminum Series cover.

I plan on keeping this truck for awhile and want the bed cover to last.

Pros:
(1) It has a lock to keep the cargo secure.
(2) Easy to access the bed you can open and close it with one hand.
(3) Paint is baked on so it will hold up to the elements.
(4) Able to put Decals on the bed... :cool:

Cons:
(1) Expensive: Price: $1,829.00
(2) In heavy rain or washing the truck get some leakage around the tailgate. :cry:

RAM_Patriot-Top.jpg

Jako

Reaction score
I went with the the RetraxPRO MX retractable Premium Aluminum Series cover.

I plan on keeping this truck for awhile and want the bed cover to last.

Pros:
(1) It has a lock to keep the cargo secure.
(2) Easy to access the bed you can open and close it with one hand.
(3) Paint is baked on so it will hold up to the elements.
(4) Able to put Decals on the bed... :cool:

Cons:
(1) Expensive: Price: $1,829.00
(2) In heavy rain or washing the truck get some leakage around the tailgate. :cry:

View attachment 52670
Truck looks great and I like the cover. Thinking about doing the lower and fender flares but with either the granite color or black as per your Ram, not sure.
So many tonneau cover choices today. Really have to figure what you will use it for and how much you are willing to commit $$$ wise.
How much of the bed is lost and what does it take if you wanted to remove it?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck looks great and I like the cover. Thinking about doing the lower and fender flares but with either the granite color or black as per your Ram, not sure.
So many tonneau cover choices today. Really have to figure what you will use it for and how much you are willing to commit $$$ wise.
How much of the bed is lost and what does it take if you wanted to remove it?
Thanks!!!

To be honest with you if I did not have the 6'4" bed, I would have gone a different route.

The Roll-up takes 13.5" of your bed. So to put it in perspective my Quad Cab with a 6'4" bed I have 5'275" left to load and it would be a major pain in the butt to remove. (Especially by yourself)

If you have the Crew Cab it will leave you with 4'575" to load. Of course you can access the area underneath the roll-up but that is only 9" of head room.

I have been able to load some lumber underneath it for example.

Jako

Reaction score
Thanks!!!

To be honest with you if I did not have the 6'4" bed, I would have gone a different route.

The Roll-up takes 13.5" of your bed. So to put it in perspective my Quad Cab with a 6'4" bed I have 5'275" left to load and it would be a major pain in the butt to remove. (Especially by yourself)

If you have the Crew Cab it will leave you with 4'575" to load. Of course you can access the area underneath the roll-up but that is only 9" of head room.

I have been able to load some lumber underneath it for example.
I received my Ram 11/24/18. The last time I looked at tonneau covers was 2001 when there was limited selection. I bought an Extang Black Max back then and it served me well although the snaps are a draw back at times. When it came time to put a tonneau on the 2019 I was overwhelmed with choices to the point I just bought the Black Max as an interim measure.

Had hernia surgery which caused me to be shut down physically but enabled me to read up on the tonneau covers. It is amazing how the market reacts with so many choices and prices. Sometimes it takes careful reading to get the full picture of what you are buying.

Mikent

Reaction score
I’ve had both covers, the first rolling cover was a Roll n Lock, it was ok. I tried a Retrax on my next truck and have had Retrax on my next three truck. The quality of Retrax is far better than any brand cover I’ve used. I would recommend the aluminum slats rather than the plastic or lexan. Retrax also stands behind their product, i had an issue with one cover after the warranty had expired and they replaced the rolling insert.

WilburNJ

Reaction score
I read all the reviews and comparison threads on here regarding the roll covers. I ended up buying the Truck Covers USA brand. https://www.truckcoversusa.com/american-roll-cover/ The main reason I chose this over the Roll n Lock brand is that the canister is smaller on the Truck Covers brand. My boss has the Roll n Lock and can't fit anything underneath the canister, basically a lot of dead space under there. I've got more room underneath and use that area to store a Home Depot DeWalt toolbox with all my toe straps, jumper cables, etc. inside of it. I'm very satisfied with Truck Covers USA and would purchase it again. Hope this helps.
Hi FL Laramie,

I have a quick question regarding your American Roll Cover. Did the cover come with rails that completely replace the rails that came with your Laramie? Any pictures of how the cover is attached to the bed would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much,

WilburNJ

FL Laramie

Reaction score
Hi FL Laramie,

I have a quick question regarding your American Roll Cover. Did the cover come with rails that completely replace the rails that came with your Laramie? Any pictures of how the cover is attached to the bed would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much,

WilburNJ
Really sorry. Just saw this request. Not sure I understand what you mean about replacing the rails. The cover clamps on to the thin sheet metal lip that runs down both sides of the bed.

Attachments

• 20201227_141042.jpg
    20201227_141042.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20201227_141050.jpg
    20201227_141050.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 40
  • 20201227_141023.jpg
    20201227_141023.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20201227_141155.jpg
    20201227_141155.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 44

FL Laramie

Reaction score
There are 4 of these clamps on each side. They fit above the bed utility rails.

Attachments

• 20201227_141033.jpg
    20201227_141033.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20201227_141050.jpg
    20201227_141050.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 19

FL Laramie

Reaction score
My buddy's Retrax rolls a little easier when closing the cover. My main reason for going with the Roll-N-Lock is that the canister is 7.25" x 7.25". The Retrax i believe is 10" x 10". So the few inches of extra usable bed length and space under the canister is what sold me.

Users who are viewing this thread