5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road noise- interior

Rich

Reaction score
I also installed the seal today in about 5 minutes. The road noise is now minimal! Can you say Happy Camper! Thanks for the help RAM PEOPLE!!

Has anyone thought to ask a dealer to find out why the seal was omitted on new builds?

I spoke to a representative at the Boston auto show (not about the missing seal) and he mentioned that some items on current trucks are old stock because their suppliers can't keep up with demand. Could they have left off the seal instead of holding up production?

Last edited:

NDanecker

Reaction score
I am shocked how quiet this truck is but i am used to diesels and I am half deaf from target shooting without proper ear protection.

Seriously though, i do hear increased road noise at highway speeds coming from the rear seats. My guess the noise is coming through the cab vents which I am guessing are behind the seats.

Not going to be an issue for me once I get the Borla Atak installed. Lol

John Hable

Reaction score
Bonebro,
I had time this weekend to work on the sound detener on the rear cab panel. My truck according to the vin was suppose to have a detener on the rear cab. I purchased the factory one from ram and I did not like it, it did not have an adhesive back on it so I purchased some Dynamat Xtreme and used the factory one as a template. The first photo is the rear panel with nothing, the second photo is the rear cab panel using the factory detener as a template, the third photo is me taking it farther. The cab seal shut what sound like a open window, adding the sound detener quieted the cab. I was surprised by the difference. It even made the subwoofer sound better. It doesn’t sound like it’s thumping against a tin can. The only thing I can do to make it even better is to do something with the cab corner on both sides. You can see in the third photo on the far side where you can see the white paint and the wires running up. I think if I put some foam in there I think it would finish it up. 1CF5633E-80DB-494D-9F48-3B2724B05251.jpeg 05BFB331-0A14-48FA-9453-2D070A5242A1.jpeg 4CCD1662-DC09-4DF6-B99C-4F71DD123D2E.jpeg

bonebro

Reaction score
Bonebro,
I had time this weekend to work on the sound detener on the rear cab panel. My truck according to the vin was suppose to have a detener on the rear cab. I purchased the factory one from ram and I did not like it, it did not have an adhesive back on it so I purchased some Dynamat Xtreme and used the factory one as a template. The first photo is the rear panel with nothing, the second photo is the rear cab panel using the factory detener as a template, the third photo is me taking it farther. The cab seal shut what sound like a open window, adding the sound detener quieted the cab. I was surprised by the difference. It even made the subwoofer sound better. It doesn’t sound like it’s thumping against a tin can. The only thing I can do to make it even better is to do something with the cab corner on both sides. You can see in the third photo on the far side where you can see the white paint and the wires running up. I think if I put some foam in there I think it would finish it up. View attachment 14149 View attachment 14150 View attachment 14151
@John Hable you are the man! Thanks for sharing. That is more of a project than I was imagining! Mine does not have the sound deadener on the rear cab wall either. Looks like a fun project to tackle some snowy weekend :) do you think the vents inside the rear door jamb connect to the vertical wire channel you are referring to??

John Hable

Reaction score
@John Hable you are the man! Thanks for sharing. That is more of a project than I was imagining! Mine does not have the sound deadener on the rear cab wall either. Looks like a fun project to tackle some snowy weekend :) do you think the vents inside the rear door jamb connect to the vertical wire channel you are referring to??

I shined a flash light down the hole the seat belt is in and there is a divider between the seat belt pocket and the vent in the door jam with spray foam.

NoRamForUconnect

Reaction score
Bonebro,
I had time this weekend to work on the sound detener on the rear cab panel. My truck according to the vin was suppose to have a detener on the rear cab. I purchased the factory one from ram and I did not like it, it did not have an adhesive back on it so I purchased some Dynamat Xtreme and used the factory one as a template. The first photo is the rear panel with nothing, the second photo is the rear cab panel using the factory detener as a template, the third photo is me taking it farther. The cab seal shut what sound like a open window, adding the sound detener quieted the cab. I was surprised by the difference. It even made the subwoofer sound better. It doesn’t sound like it’s thumping against a tin can. The only thing I can do to make it even better is to do something with the cab corner on both sides. You can see in the third photo on the far side where you can see the white paint and the wires running up. I think if I put some foam in there I think it would finish it up. View attachment 14149 View attachment 14150 View attachment 14151
What the part# on the factory one you did not like? nice work.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bonebro,

How hard was it to pull that back panel out? I flipped my seats forward and pulled it about 1/4 over to access the sub, but would definitely damp the rear wall if that panel comes out easily.

If you really want to kill road noise from that back wall, run a sheet of MLV across the back as well. That stuff works wonders for diffusing the whirr of wind and road noise.

NoRamForUconnect

Reaction score
How hard was it to pull that back panel out? I flipped my seats forward and pulled it about 1/4 over to access the sub, but would definitely damp the rear wall if that panel comes out easily.

If you really want to kill road noise from that back wall, run a sheet of MLV across the back as well. That stuff works wonders for diffusing the whirr of wind and road noise.
MLV?

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone thought to ask a dealer to find out why the seal was omitted on new builds?

I spoke to a representative at the Boston auto show (not about the missing seal) and he mentioned that some items on current trucks are old stock because their suppliers can't keep up with demand. Could they have left off the seal instead of holding up production?
Maybe they only put them on trucks with factory ordered tonneau cover. My July built Rebel is very quiet and has the center horizontal seal, but I did order the factory trifold soft tonneau. Someone on these forums said something about air currents acting differently between the bed and cab when a tonneau is installed and maybe keeping rear cab vents open from air pressure. (????) Just a wild a## theory.:D

JV77

Reaction score
Maybe they only put them on trucks with factory ordered tonneau cover. My July built Rebel is very quiet and has the center horizontal seal, but I did order the factory trifold soft tonneau. Someone on these forums said something about air currents acting differently between the bed and cab when a tonneau is installed and maybe keeping rear cab vents open from air pressure. (????) Just a wild a## theory.:D
Unfortunately, I don’t believe this is the case. It seems there is a specific date that they stopped installing them on all trucks, based on what I have seen. My truck has the factory installed trifold cover and did not ship with the seal (Oct. build). I added the seal and it helps significantly in my experience.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Can Rebels rear seat backrests be released with loop cable also or is that just the reclining Limited seats? Just wondering.

RAMREB

Reaction score
Can Rebels rear seat backrests be released with loop cable also or is that just the reclining Limited seats? Just wondering.

The rebels seats are fixed and would have to be unbolted to access the rear vents

Lize

Reaction score
Think I read a post that said there can be a faulty seal round the bed/high level brake light which caused water ingress on one, it was very easily rectified and could perhaps be the cause of wind noise? Worth getting it checked out ASAP incase of water ingress as that post said the headlining had been stained.

UPDATE:
Dopey me, I thought I was at the end of the thread and was only half way through the pages, will leave this comment on here though for anyone investigating rear bulkhead type issues.

Last edited:

drad5757

Reaction score
I'm half deaf, but I can't get over how quiet the RAM is. I had a V6 Colorado before this RAM, and the RAM is noticeably quieter.

silverbullet

Reaction score
My 19 Laramie has the seal. I'll have to check the build date FYI. I'm pretty sure I have an early build. Had my truck since Memorial Day weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread