5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road noise- interior

davidn0021

Reaction score
Would I be able to install this seal if I also have the Protection Group? I tried looking underneath and there are metal plates blocking access. My cabin noise isn't that bad, actually but if I'm unable to install the horizontal seal I'll have to go with the other option of putting in panel.

bonebro

Reaction score
Would I be able to install this seal if I also have the Protection Group? I tried looking underneath and there are metal plates blocking access. My cabin noise isn't that bad, actually but if I'm unable to install the horizontal seal I'll have to go with the other option of putting in panel.
Yes no problem. The plate covers the bottom of the fuel tank, which you’ll have to reach up and around the fuel tank.

GeoRam

Reaction score
I got my seal installed on Wednesday. I told dealer the part number and what was happening, so they ordered the part before I even came in. Huge difference. I still think I hear some noise at highway speeds, but I'm definitely listening for it much harder. For all I can remember, my 2012 Ram was 10X noisier.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
At some point no matter what, you will hear some road noise. For some reason right now I didn't hear much road noise on the way to work. Very odd

Ram1

Reaction score
Has anyone changed out the OEM tires and went with a Michelin which is known for being quiet. I swapped out the cheap Goodyears on my Patriot and put new Michelins on it was night and day difference. Also, is the road noise more heard on the 22inch tires or 20's ? I have the 22" which are low pro.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are looking for quiet, nice riding all season tires, the Michs are fantastic. It was night and day difference on my f150. I can imagine it's the same on the Ram.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are looking for quiet, nice riding all season tires, the Michs are fantastic. It was night and day difference on my f150. I can imagine it's the same on the Ram.
I have a Rebel and switched out 18" OEM wheels for Fuel Hardline 18" but kept the original 33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac and I rarely notice tire noise with them. My truck is a July build and is very quiet inside. It does have the horizontal cab/box gap noise seal from factory that some members don't have. Only issue I have with entire truck at 3,000 miles is squeaky console when passenger rests arm on it. Not a big deal until time for other service needed .

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Rebel and switched out 18" OEM wheels for Fuel Hardline 18" but kept the original 33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac and I rarely notice tire noise with them. My truck is a July build and is very quiet inside. It does have the horizontal cab/box gap noise seal from factory that some members don't have. Only issue I have with entire truck at 3,000 miles is squeaky console when passenger rests arm on it. Not a big deal until time for other service needed .
Yeah these things are pretty dang quiet. I'm running falkens and it is way quieter than my f150 was with Michelin LTX.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
For those that are looking to take steps in adding sound deadening material to their trucks, like I plan to...Don Sambrook of www.soundeadenershowdown.com has no nonsense explanations and solutions on matierials and methods to address various noise issues including rear cab panel. Unfortunately, he retired this month and is no longer selling products. However, his information seems spot on. More so than all the hyperbole that is out there from marketing.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My cabin is quiet, but I feel there is excessive wind noise coming through both passenger doors at highway speed, especially if it is a windy day.

For example, yesterday it was very windy outside and I sat in my truck during my lunch hour and it was extremely quiet. When I got out of the truck, I couldn't believe how loud the wind was howling because I literally couldn't hear a thing while inside the truck. However, when driving home on the freeway doing 70 - 75, I feel like the wind noise is excessive for a brand new truck.

It is most noticeable coming from the passenger front door, and the rear passenger door to some extent. The doors appear to be mounted flush, and the gaps appear to be fairly consistent all the way around.

On two separate occasions, the wind noise was very excessive, like whistling through the cabin. I had to roll the passenger front window down then up and it went away.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I being overly critical? When I drive in other people's vehicles I try and listen to see if they are as noisy as mine is, and now it's all I can notice, even when I turn the radio up.

You hear how quiet the cabins on these new RAMs are supposed to be, and I agree when it comes to road noise, but wind noise-- not so much.

I have a feeling that the dealer is going to say its normal.. should I insist that they try to adjust the doors and/or replace the door seals? My fear is that it's only going to get worse if they start messing around with it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those that are looking to take steps in adding sound deadening material to their trucks, like I plan to...Don Sambrook of www.soundeadenershowdown.com has no nonsense explanations and solutions on matierials and methods to address various noise issues including rear cab panel. Unfortunately, he retired this month and is no longer selling products. However, his information seems spot on. More so than all the hyperbole that is out there from marketing.

Anyone who is thinking of trying to further reduce noise needs to visit this site. This is the way to do it. It's a lot of work, but it's very effective.

Slapping a ton of dynamat on doors actually doesn't do much to reduce noise. You need absorbers and barriers.

19longthorn

Reaction score
So I've been rather upset with the excessive cabin noise especially at highway speeds and used the information from this post to start my investigation. I've attached a photo of one of the vents which was hard to capture but you can see a faint glare of daylight from outside. I took a video but could not upload it showing that at idle in my driveway and the heater blower on any speed including low, the flaps shutter open and close and i can clearly hear the engine and some exhaust noise. Of course taking on a drive is much worse. I am calling chrysler to start a case for this as I feel it is a poor design. I have not put in the missing seal between the cab and bed not have i added the missing sound mat at this time.

Attachments

• 20190226_163022.jpg
    20190226_163022.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 217

JayMann

Reaction score
Seeing this thread... it makes more sense why my local dealership shoved a black piece of insulation foam you'd see on copper line sets etc down in between my cab and bed.

They must've seen I was missing this seal and instead of installing the correct part, they just did a quickie fix. Kind of frustrating if you ask me. I will have to go back and ask them to put in the correct item - just have to find time to get it done haha

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Just stumbled across this thread. If I understand it, some trucks have a seal between the bed and cab towards the bottom?

Seems to me that would be a great catcher of organic debris. Maybe that's why they stopped installing it?

Btw...my truck quiet as a church mouse. No seal, running DuraTracks.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Just stumbled across this thread. If I understand it, some trucks have a seal between the bed and cab towards the bottom?

Seems to me that would be a great catcher of organic debris. Maybe that's why they stopped installing it?

Btw...my truck quiet as a church mouse. No seal, running DuraTracks.
I installed mine and that's exactly what it doing. Going to have to use a leaf blower to clean it out. Can't win.

grooves12

Reaction score
I noticed a sound related issue while I was doing my stereo install this week. I removed the rear seat and back insulation cover and there are two vents on the back wall that release pressure from the vehicle when the AC is on. There is significantly more road noise when they are open.

Is it possible those of you comparing to the test drives had the AC off vs. now with the systems on? It makes a pretty big difference.

Yedi

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to have this missing seal installed under warranty? Kind if suprised how many guys are just buying this. If there is a legit noise/issue and the missing seal fixes the problem it's a no brainier for the dealer to do this for you.

I guess I'll find out when I get my first oil change scheduled along with the 2 recalls, gonna have then get this seal and install it.

Ram1

Reaction score
I asked them if they would even cover just the seal under warranty and I would install it myself. The look I got back from the service person made me look in the mirror to make sure I didn't have horns growing out of my forehead. I have to learn not to ask questions that I already know the answer too.:mad:

wwalljr

Reaction score
I asked them if they would even cover just the seal under warranty and I would install it myself. The look I got back from the service person made me look in the mirror to make sure I didn't have horns growing out of my forehead. I have to learn not to ask questions that I already know the answer too.:mad:

That’s unfortunate, but not surprising. At least it’s inexpensive.

Gtbrown

Reaction score
I'm supposed to pick up my Limited today, and I picked up the seal yesterday from dealer's parts dept. Paid $21 for it......

Users who are viewing this thread