5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road noise- interior

ccookson

Reaction score
I do get some road noise....what about "creaks" coming from ontop of center stack above radio the black plastic. I have real problem with that going over small bumps in the road very annoying...

2019 Ram sport group Canada

Jayman

Reaction score
Ccookson do you have the 12” screen? I have noticed in my truck driving gravel that the trim pieces on the side of the radio will get a little loose and cause a rattle like sound that seems to come from the top of the radio. If I push the trim piece on both sides then it will quit for a few days but will eventually come back.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I notice a little wind noise at highway speed, but even so it’s the quietest interior I’ve ever experienced. I think the bed cover helps reduce some air turbulence at the rear, as it is noticeably improved. I’m wondering if it could the open rear wheel wells with air funneling through at speed. Will report back once my liners are installed.

ccookson

Reaction score
Ccookson do you have the 12” screen? I have noticed in my truck driving gravel that the trim pieces on the side of the radio will get a little loose and cause a rattle like sound that seems to come from the top of the radio. If I push the trim piece on both sides then it will quit for a few days but will eventually come back.
I actually have the 8.4. I’ll try and record the sound and see if we have the same noise. I’ve been in and out of the dealership with issues... the turning clunk. Glove compartment. Center consol sqeek. Speaker issues. Everything has been fixed but I don’t wanna go back lol

Jayman

Reaction score
This is the piece of trim I’m talking about. Gravel roads will get it to move just a little and start to rattle. Just a simple push and it sits tight again and stops making noise.

ccookson

Reaction score
View attachment 20687
This is the piece of trim I’m talking about. Gravel roads will get it to move just a little and start to rattle. Just a simple push and it sits tight again and stops making
Hmmm interesting no mine is here 79C94CA8-50DC-496E-9351-FB86200B93FA.png
View attachment 20687
This is the piece of trim I’m talking about. Gravel roads will get it to move just a little and start to rattle. Just a simple push and it sits tight again and stops making noise.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
View attachment 20687
Easy to fix.
1) remove rubber tray above the screen and remove the two screws. Pull the screen console back gently, yet firmly. Very scary! There is a post on here also on how to do.
2) Apply Anti-Squeak tape to the offending area. 3M makes one and can get at any auto store or on line. I got a roll from O’Reilley’s Auto store in RI area.
3) Reseat the console back in. Goes in very easy and solidly.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Easy to fix.
1) remove rubber tray above the screen and remove the two screws. Pull the screen console back gently, yet firmly. Very scary! There is a post on here also on how to do.
2) Apply Anti-Squeak tape to the offending area. 3M makes one and can get at any auto store or on line. I got a roll from O’Reilley’s Auto store in RI area.
3) Reseat the console back in. Goes in very easy and solidly.

Here's my how to:
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/how-to-remove-12-screen-fixed-brake-controller.4715/

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know, I wish there were a way to see if the system is working correctly or not. Some kind of test?

I was watching old retro reviews of "Motor Week" on YouTube last night. (Geez, I used to video tape that show using the Beta tape format when it was originally broadcast on PBS - guess I'm showing my age). Some of the cars from the 80's that John Davis was testing had SPL readings of 60 dB at 60 mph. When I tested mine I got 58 to 61 dBA at 55 mph. So, is my 2019 RAM which brags about quietness not any quieter than a car from the 80's?

Most of the test reviewers who have done video reviews on the 2019 RAM 1500's state how quiet they are as well.

I never owned a truck before this one. Are the other brands really loud and noisy?

It's really not fair to compare interior noise levels of '80s vintage cars to modern trucks, although I find it a little hard to believe 60dB was an across the board average back then. Keep in mind that noise recordings for vehicles usually have the sensor in the geographical center of the cab.

I have now been in a new Silverado and an F-150. the F-150 was the loudest to my ear and I thought the Chevy was a little louder as well. It was really noticeable after I got back in mine.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 011847 miles.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a '19 Limited (late July build) WITH the subject lower horizontal seal piece, and the wife now drives a '19 Longhorn (late October build) WITHOUT the seal. The Longhorn is quiet, but perceivably not quite as quiet as the Ltd. I intend now to order the piece (thanks J.H., for the Part #) for the Longhorn, for maximum vehicle quietness.
My question is, will it be possible (without disconnecting the box from the cab) to install the seal piece? I am not at all mechanical (I'll ask my dealler to install it), but it sure looks like there is a lot of componentry blocking the way at the bottom.
J.H. (or anyone), could you please tell me HOW logistically this seal could be positioned & retro-fitted into place?

My other question, was there a good reason WHY the seal piece was eliminated?....
Was it accumulating/trapping leaves, mud, & contaminant down in the crevasse?
Was it deemed ineffective and/or needless?
Or, was this purely a cost-cutting step?

I have a 2019 Laramie Quad Cab, build date 25 May 2018, and it has the bed-to-cab interface seal. But, I still think it is noisier than the Big Horn I test drove with most of the noise coming from the rear. I've checked the door sealing and it appears the outer weather seals on the rear doors are contacting the body when closed. There are times when I think the noise is not there, making me suspicious that the rear cab vents are opening too soon or staying open.

I hate to block them since that could cause other issues.

regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 011847 miles.

Vic

Reaction score
Because I read the posts on this forum, I hear noise coming from the rear of my cab now. I didn't notice it before, and most people who ride with me make a comment at some point about high quiet the truck is.
:cautious:

Saints

Reaction score
Because I read the posts on this forum, I hear noise coming from the rear of my cab now. I didn't notice it before, and most people who ride with me make a comment at some point about high quiet the truck is.
:cautious:
Lol sometimes ignorance is bliss my man. Don’t ever get into audio and video and go to avsforum because if you learn about a flaw in your tv that you never noticed and then you do, there is no way to unsee it and your pockets will get lighter.

19longthorn

Reaction score
Had my truck in for service to look at the excessive road noise. They said they think it’s due to the rear seal (mentioned on here). They said I would have to pay almost $200 to have it fixed since it’s not an included part. Anyone else have to pay the dealer for this?

Had my truck in for service to look at the excessive road noise. They said they think it’s due to the rear seal (mentioned on here). They said I would have to pay almost $200 to have it fixed since it’s not an included part. Anyone else have to pay the dealer for this?

I went in to have the seal and wannabe sound mat installed and had to show the tech how to even fold down the back seats in which I then had to tell him to kindly not put all of his weight on them like he was as there is a harness which could break. He explained how he did not know how to put the sound mat in so I told him not to bother as I will be installing a full and better quality sound mat later. I did have to open a star case to have them ordered at which time the Chrysler star case account manager stated there was no midyear change in the seal and that it and the sound mat should have been included. I am also now having a light popping sound when turning at low speed. Sounds like another common mystery which my local dealer just gave me an excuse on. Another star case will be opened...

Pkrash

Reaction score
Installed bed-cab seal and tonneau cover...rear noise has been reduced.
Still some coming from rear door area. My 2012 has the extra seal between front and rear doors which they deleted on the 2019.
Going to try some extra seals in the doors.
Wondering if there is an issue with the active noise cancelling as the noise seems to be different in different seating positions.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Just FYI on the lower cab to bed seal. 4th gen owners found that seal to wear off paint on the bottom of the cab over time. Some removed it as they were concerned about rust and had some rust beginning due to it rubbing off paint.

While you're under there or before you put it on, consider adding something to protect the bottom of the cab. Maybe they changed the design so that the leaf does not contact (similar to the side vertical seals).

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just FYI on the lower cab to bed seal. 4th gen owners found that seal to wear off paint on the bottom of the cab over time. Some removed it as they were concerned about rust and had some rust beginning due to it rubbing off paint.

While you're under there or before you put it on, consider adding something to protect the bottom of the cab. Maybe they changed the design so that the leaf does not contact (similar to the side vertical seals).

No, it contacts hard. Nothing like the side seals.
I think I'm going to look into some protection there.

wirles

Reaction score
My 9/8/18 build does not have it and I suspect it is also the cause of dirt getting into the cab as I outlined here. I've got one ordered so we'll see how it works out but I do not have any appreciable road noise without it.
My build date 9/11/18 Limited does have the seal. But I did notice my rear driver side door is not flush. Very noticeable from the back (now that I am looking for these things). It goes in to the dealer on Friday for the recalls and the door.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score

I wish I had seen this post as well as the one below it. In the process of canceling the seal I ordered last night, I didn't even think of this. I'm sure all kinds of junk gets trapped between that seal and the cab, and becomes a polishing agent as the seal moves. Same thing happens when you put the rubber bumpers on a bug shield instead of directly to the hood of the car.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish I had seen this post as well as the one below it. In the process of canceling the seal I ordered last night, I didn't even think of this. I'm sure all kinds of junk gets trapped between that seal and the cab, and becomes a polishing agent as the seal moves. Same thing happens when you put the rubber bumpers on a bug shield instead of directly to the hood of the car.

Now this is a theoretical observation but there are some videos demonstrating how stiffer the DT frame is over the DS and what they point out is that the DT has far less flex. When it was driven over some alternating bumps the bed and cab seemed to not move opposite each other at all whereas on the DS, you could easily see the two parts moving independently.
That tells me that this polishing action would be far less on a DT - but is still an area of concern for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online