5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Flowmaster FX direct fit

jabara572

Reaction score
I have the FlowFX and i think its pretty quiet for an aftermarket muffler, even my dad who hates loud exhausts asked "didnt it always sound like that?" Its louder than stock for sure, a nice rumble and mild roar when you get on it, but otherwise its very unobtrusive for long trips.

For those saying it "Drones".... mine absolutely does not "drone" with MDS on. It changes sound and gets a bit louder in MDS but that is not drone. Drone is a resonance that vibrates the car interior and your brain. If you think the flowFX drones you havnt had any truly loud/no muffler exhaust systems.

I think the FlowFX is perfect for someone who wants some rumble and 25-30% more volume than stock but not annoying yourself or neighbors.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I recently installed the flowmaster fx (Monday actually)... I like it, but not sure I love it.

Initially I was a bit disappointed... it seemed too muffled - like a pillow is stuffed in there... on the other hand, I can't stand overly raspy exhaust note (which this is definitely not).

After driving with it for a couple days, its growing on me... it's a relatively mellow exhaust but obviously meatier than stock (anything is). If it had a bit more grunt (without rasp), I'd be more enthused.

As time goes on, I might grow to like it more... or maybe it will gain a little grunt over time? For now, I like it enough to keep it - just dont know if I'll ever fully love it.

jabara572

Reaction score
I recently installed the flowmaster fx (Monday actually)... I like it, but not sure I love it.

Initially I was a bit disappointed... it seemed too muffled - like a pillow is stuffed in there... on the other hand, I can't stand overly raspy exhaust note (which this is definitely not).

After driving with it for a couple days, its growing on me... it's a relatively mellow exhaust but obviously meatier than stock (anything is). If it had a bit more grunt (without rasp), I'd be more enthused.

As time goes on, I might grow to like it more... or maybe it will gain a little grunt over time? For now, I like it enough to keep it - just dont know if I'll ever fully love it.

I think mine got a bit louder as i put miles on it. Not a ton, but i notice it louder on startups now than it was

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I think mine got a bit louder as i put miles on it. Not a ton, but i notice it louder on startups now than it was
I think you're right... Mine got a little meatier too.

I might consider resonator delete - not just for sound, but my Mopar bed step is hitting it - which is weird, because it cleared when I first installed it.

J92JRamsport

Reaction score
I've had mine on for about a year now and I think it's the best mix of a bit more noise without going crazy.

It makes good noise when you are on it and pretty quiet when out of it. There is a bit of MDS drone but not that bad IMO.

(I do have the stock resonators on FYI)

chrisnack

Reaction score
I put a Borla S-Type on Thursday night, remove it yesterday. It was crazy loud and had a bad drone/pulse in the cab. I was thinking about the Flowmaster, but that doesn't look positive either. B2 was on the list and looks like feedback is good on that, so I'll probably grab one of those.

Srchris2010

Reaction score
I have arh 1 7/8 headers with high flow cats and carven competitor series, it’s really loud during hard acceleration and I would say average during regular acceleration and while it’s cruising it’s barely audible.

Bubba33

Reaction score
I have the flowmaster fx and don't see how the mag b2 could sound any different.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did the magnaflow 14” muffler with the B2Fabrication bolt on kit. As stated above they are using their own muffler now instead of the magnaflow but I’m guessing it sounds similar to the magnaflow. I have since done the resonator delete by B2Fabrication. Essentially you cut off the tailpipes with the resonators and replace them with bolt on straight pipes (the muffler remains). I didn’t realize how much of a difference it makes. It is so much cleaner sounding and less annoying. A lot of the low end “drone” (which is a bit subjective and people define it differently) comes from when mds kicks in and you have the resonators. It bothers many people and not others. It didn’t bother me that much before I removed the resonators but now I realize just how much cleaner the sound is and like it much better.

Is it louder without the resonators? IMO not really, just deeper and cleaner I would say. Bottom line is if you like your truck quiet and the cab quiet, leave it stock. It’s designed well stock for what it is. If you know you want some additional growl but not crazy loud and to save some money, go with an aftermarket muffler, like b2fab/magnaflow/borla/etc but IMO do the resonator delete. If you have the extra $$ and want to do it clean, do a full catback. I personally don’t find it to be loud either outside or inside the cab. Doesn’t annoy neighbors, it’s not obnoxious, YMMV. If you want loud and aggressive then some of these catbacks, like the borla atak will kick it up a few notches for sure. My two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread