5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Flowmaster FX direct fit

U

User_21361

This is by far the shortest lived mod ive done. I installed on Thursday. I specifically didn't tell the family about the change because I wanted an unbiased opinion about the sound level and knew I could return to stock pretty easily. As you read, keep in mind that sound levels are very subjective. YMMV.

The install was easy. About 5 min prep. 15 min making sure I wanted to cut a new truck. 40 min the take the old one off (the hangers are hard to remove). And 10 min to install the new one.

Within .25 miles my family knew the truck was "broken" (hahaha) and asked what I did.

A few notes
- The exhaust is definitely louder than stock, maybe twice as loud. The idle has a nice growl to it. It echos a lot in the garage. It can be heard in the house from the garage.
- my wife could hear me from our house about .25 miles down the road when I was babying the throttle. Not sure how disturbing this is to neighbors. I live in a tight packed neighborhood.
- the MDS sound is annoying
- the acceleration sound especially up hill is incredible
- on the highway I had some slight repeating droning noise. It was most noticable at about 45 where the road noise was less.
- it's definitely louder in the cabin but not by a lot. I didn't have to adjust my music volume except for on hills. I live on a plateau, so lots of hills to go up.

Long story short, I have an appointment to go back to stock hahaha

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes I have been there, done that, but with (4) exhausts lol. So now it’s back to stock paired with Mopar 5” polished tips. All is well with the family, and I can actually come back inside the house ha ha ha.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ANC doesn't always play nice with modded exhaust. You could try unpinning it and see if the droning goes away. As far as MDS, I typically turn mine off.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Try driving it without the MDS on, I makes a huge difference because the drone will pollute the sound to the point it hurts your head. There is probably only one exhaust that I know of that doesn't drone with MDS, the Borla ATAK.

Damion

Reaction score
Thats weird, the only time mine sounds different is when the MDS kicks out, other than that while driving I can't really hear it as it quiets down to a mellow growl.

I have zero drone as well. The girlfriend even thinks it sounds good. My dad who I didn't tell that I put the flow master on while driving asked if my truck had more rumble than normal but that was it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thats weird, the only time mine sounds different is when the MDS kicks out, other than that while driving I can't really hear it as it quiets down to a mellow growl.

I have zero drone as well. The girlfriend even thinks it sounds good. My dad who I didn't tell that I put the flow master on while driving asked if my truck had more rumble than normal but that was it.

It's a pretty well known issue for those with aftermarket exhaust that MDS causes a bad sounding drone when it switches to 4 cylinders. How many good sounding exhaust systems do you know that comes from 4 cylinder cars?

It's the reason why many of us actively turn off our MDS. Did you activate your Eco light in the dash? This will allow you to see when your MDS is active and you will be able to distinguish when it's on 4 cylinders or 8.

Damion

Reaction score
It's a pretty well known issue for those with aftermarket exhaust that MDS causes a bad sounding drone when it switches to 4 cylinders. How many good sounding exhaust systems do you know that comes from 4 cylinder cars?

It's the reason why many of us actively turn off our MDS. Did you activate your Eco light in the dash? This will allow you to see when your MDS is active and you will be able to distinguish when it's on 4 cylinders or 8.

Yes eco light is active, although unless changed from 4th gens, the eco light isn't an indication of MDS being active, just that you are driving in an economical manner. ( Usually when your live mpg is a bit lower than the avg )

None the less, I have zero drone in my truck with the flowfx installed. The only odd noise it makes is when it kicks out of MDS and thats only for a second or two then its business as usual.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s a tough spot to be in, is the Ram your only vehicle?

U

User_21361

That’s a tough spot to be in, is the Ram your only vehicle?
The Ram is the only vehicle big enough for long family rides. We plan to upsize from our X3 at the end of our lease in a year. I'm tall which makes most cars with any rear facing car seats difficult. That means the exhaust is likely stock for a year. Turning off the MDS helped a LOT, but she still hates the acceleration noise on hills. We went on a mountain drive (and do those a lot) and it was annoying to her. It's all subjective. There is plenty of space under the truck, maybe I'll hire someone to put in both with a switch and I'll call the stock exhaust, family mode....

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Ram is the only vehicle big enough for long family rides. We plan to upsize from our X3 at the end of our lease in a year. I'm tall which makes most cars with any rear facing car seats difficult. That means the exhaust is likely stock for a year. Turning off the MDS helped a LOT, but she still hates the acceleration noise on hills. We went on a mountain drive (and do those a lot) and it was annoying to her. It's all subjective. There is plenty of space under the truck, maybe I'll hire someone to put in both with a switch and I'll call the stock exhaust, family mode....
I understand, my wife hates the ATAK I installed so much so that I took her out and bought her a 19 Cherokee so now she has hers and I have mine to do what I want. The bonus is we rack up the miles on hers as we take it whenever we go anywhere more than a few miles and I put maybe 20-25 miles a week on the Ram going to work and when I want to terrorize up the neighborhood.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yes eco light is active, although unless changed from 4th gens, the eco light isn't an indication of MDS being active, just that you are driving in an economical manner. ( Usually when your live mpg is a bit lower than the avg )

None the less, I have zero drone in my truck with the flowfx installed. The only odd noise it makes is when it kicks out of MDS and thats only for a second or two then its business as usual.

Yup, on the 5th gen, the Eco light only turns on when MDS is active. On my Flowmaster Outlaw, it's very obvious when the system switches over.

ironking

Reaction score
I have the Flow FX also. I get a mild drone while MDS is engaged. That is to be expected in my opinion. No aftermarket exhaust is going to be drone free with MDS on. Honestly, I think it’s more annoying when you’re in MDS and it kicks back to 8 cylinders and the truck jolts. That being said, this muffler is too quiet in my opinion. Sounds decent when you get on it but i’m swapping it out here soon for the Corsa extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damion

Reaction score
The magna flow and the flowfx are made the same way, so I would assume the tone / sound would be very similar . I haven't heard the magna flow in person just videos but they do sound alike.

reggiejp3

Reaction score
I have the b2 magnaflow and dont hace any drone. I was worried after reading all the posts regarding the pesky mds drone, but pulled the Trigger and am pleasantly surprised how perfect the sound is. Very low rumble and everyone that rides in my truck loves the sound.

WR986

Reaction score
@seribralcrow ...buy the B2 Magnaflow and you will have FAR better experience!

I am researching my choice for a muffler replacement. I was looking at this one but its taking a bad rap.
Looked for the B2 Magnaflow but dont see it. Do you have the part number/
Thanks

Truck.jpeg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am researching my choice for a muffler replacement. I was looking at this one but its taking a bad rap.
Looked for the B2 Magnaflow but dont see it. Do you have the part number/
Thanks

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score

^^^^^^^^^^^
That is wrong one

Here is is the one for 5th Gen RAM

Users who are viewing this thread