5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reverse lighting upgrade

zlman

Reaction score
Guys - isn't there something simple like swapping out the rear white light bulb versus have to cut into a wire? They do look sharp but for those not want to splice in a wire hoping for another option..
That's why you buy the harness adapter for the trailer plug, no worries splicing into that.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe the curt 56584 adapter can be used instead of splicing into the factory harness.

TheBigRedGinja

Reaction score
Nice informative post. This is always one of my first upgrades for how much I back up my truck. How many of us back up to park, day and night- every time? So thanks for this breakdown on some tools to make the job easier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was very cold and windy today but I managed to install a set of these lights using the curt adapter linked above. I used the blue wire for reverse power and the white for ground, no splicing of the factory wiring required.

I did notice that since the lights have a metal frame they don’t sit completely flush with the plastic trim they are installed in, I have ordered some silicone rubber gasket material in 1/16” and 1/32” thickness and plan to cut out a gasket to install behind them to help cure my ocd.

Huge improvement in the backup camera at night and visibility in the side mirrors when reversing. Thanks for the idea.

Nick57

Reaction score
I added back up lights on my 18 so I could see at night Esp when backing up a trailer. With my 21 the backup lights in the sideview mirrors have been good enough for me to not want to do this. Just posting to give people another option. The 21 and up tow mirrors have back up lights built into them. :)

Garyindiane

Reaction score
That's wired, I just bought one and it doesn't have lights in the mirrors. Maybe just the power folding mirrors?

Nick57

Reaction score
That might be. mine are the power folding tow mirrors.

JC4041

Reaction score
I added back up lights on my 18 so I could see at night Esp when backing up a trailer. With my 21 the backup lights in the sideview mirrors have been good enough for me to not want to do this. Just posting to give people another option. The 21 and up tow mirrors have back up lights built into them. :)
Yeah but you have to click them on each time. A $40 (ish) investment for the lights and harness, plus you can wire them to turn on by just a switch when you don't really need the truck in reverse.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does anyone have video of install using either the Curt harness or posi taps?
Don't recall a video but here is a compilation of previous posts. Best of luck.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the curt adapter you just unplug the trucks harness from the back of the trailer plug at the rear bumper just behind the spare tire. Only one locking tab you can just push in by hand, plug the truck harness into the curt adapter and the plug it into the trailer plug. Blue wire is reverse and white is ground.

Nick57

Reaction score
Yeah but you have to click them on each time. A $40 (ish) investment for the lights and harness, plus you can wire them to turn on by just a switch when you don't really need the truck in reverse.
no you don't. you can leave the bed light on which will then turn them on when you go in reverse if you have them set to be turned on through the radio. ;)

JC4041

Reaction score
no you don't. you can leave the bed light on which will then turn them on when you go in reverse if you have them set to be turned on through the radio. ;)
hmmmm maybe I need to go play with the radio.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Love the Rebel EcoD and it's 25mpg around town, but one glaring (pardon the pun) inadequacy is the reverse lighting. Looked at the cube addons that some have used and the hitch receiver frame mounted lights, but wanted something less conspicuous. Settled on these and decided to mount them on the inner bumper valance adjacent to the sensor. If for some reason wanted to return to stock appearance, these valances are like $17 apiece so not a big deal.

View attachment 112308

Pair of these on Amazon for $22: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087JMB616?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Tied into the hitch harness reverse wire with Posi-tap for the 12v and grounded each light locally to a bolt which fastens the valance to the bumper.

View attachment 112311

Mounted along with before/after from rear camera.

View attachment 112312 View attachment 112313 View attachment 112314
Nice job. I had hoped mine would fit in that valance, but had planned on a hitch mount from the get go. Mine are pretty inconspicuous when you take a step back and look like they should be there. Plus, 1800 legit Lumens and a lifetime warranty.
Got a couple pics of how I wired them. Black wire on the 7 pin. Squeeze from the back and pull it through the opening. Grounded to existing ground bolt on the frame.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know how many lumens the stock LED bulbs are? I wouldn't mind having them a bit brighter and it seems like it's pretty easy to replace them.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know how many lumens the stock LED bulbs are? I wouldn't mind having them a bit brighter and it seems like it's pretty easy to replace them.
I’d you have the factory led bulbs they cannot be replaced. Replacing standard bulbs with led aftermarket bulbs would be a decent improvement.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
There's a good sized thread here on reverse light add-ons, I followed that pretty close 2 yrs ago, lots of good options.
I like your install, very clean.
I went with with these, found them at Walmart, almost 2 yrs use, work great!
View attachment 112992
What did you use for lights and do you have a link for them?

Mr.Laramie

Reaction score
Just went with the

LPR 1800LM LED REVERSE LIGHT SYSTEM 5500K WHITE​

Can’t wait for the sun to go down. Anything can be an improvement from stock reverse lights.

Users who are viewing this thread