5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reverse/Back Up Lights with Camera at Night

ewmyers76

Reaction score
Agree about the cargo lights. Just saw a new gen F150 at my parking garage and they seem to be bright white LEDs like the reverse lights, instead of the crap yellow tint lights on the RAM. Can someone confirm they are indeed halogen? Very disappointed if that's the case.
Yes they are halogen I just replaced mine with these. Glad to know i am not the only one out there that noticed this. My neighbors thought i was crazy! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX4FMD1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

shauste

Reaction score
Ya I havent checked out the lighting but it could be the camera type. Some work better in low light conditions. How bout those nice low power crap bulbs they put in the roof for the bed? It’s a notch above a cigarette lighter..............maybe. Seriously who missed that ?
Ha! I replaced mine with some LEDs...

RamNeophyte

Reaction score
My Bighorn came with the Premium LED Lighting Group which, according to the sticker, includes LED tail lamps. The sticker says nothing about the backup lamps. Can I assume that the backup lamp is the standard 921? The Owners Manual also lists a premium backup lamp as a part number 7440/W21W. Based upon how dim my view in the backup camera is at night, I'm assuming that I have the standard 921 lamp. I'd love to install those LED lamps that someone above gave a link to Amazon. Anyone have any idea what backup lamps are installed with the Premium Lighting Group package?

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Bighorn came with the Premium LED Lighting Group which, according to the sticker, includes LED tail lamps. The sticker says nothing about the backup lamps. Can I assume that the backup lamp is the standard 921? The Owners Manual also lists a premium backup lamp as a part number 7440/W21W. Based upon how dim my view in the backup camera is at night, I'm assuming that I have the standard 921 lamp. I'd love to install those LED lamps that someone above gave a link to Amazon. Anyone have any idea what backup lamps are installed with the Premium Lighting Group package?

If I remember previous comments correctly, the Premium LED Tails Lights are not serviceable by the end user, it is a sealed unit.

For the LED tail lights you are looking at the VLEDS or a LED Tailgate Bar

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are talking about two separate lights. The lights people are replacing are the cargo lights

Here is a before and after example

Before: 2427AF3E-0ADE-4AEE-97D5-DE46B0EA1550.jpeg 2427AF3E-0ADE-4AEE-97D5-DE46B0EA1550.jpeg and here is after

F96ED2B7-692E-4037-BBFF-705103746737.jpeg

drad5757

Reaction score
I'm going to install a headache rack with separate lighting. Does anyone know if there is a blank plate available to replace third brake light assembly? Thanks.

myram2019

Reaction score
i did drive a non surround camera truck for 2 months and the backup camera quality and picture at night was amazing. When i got my new truck with 360 i was shocked at the quality of the picture and even more disappointed after i saw the quality at night. Felt like i went back in time to the 80's.

Dave07

Reaction score
Any new solutions for this problem? My backup camera is horrible at nighttime.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree the lights next to the third brake light are awful. Anyone figure out how to swap them out for something better yet?
There are many threads for adding LED cargo and third brake lights.

Reverse lights on my Limited are LED and they work well at night. I guess I could also turn on the cargo lights if I needed more illumination, but I haven't been disappointed with night performance.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Any new solutions for this problem? My backup camera is horrible at nighttime.
Mine are fine most of the time, except when pitch black, where I find it lacking. I tried the LPR until it started rubbing on my tailgate when down, so ended up returning it. Some have upgraded their stock bulbs (or LEDs, depending on trim), for brighter offerings). Other options are the 60” LED bars that have the added benefit of having not just reverse, but brake light and turn signals in a single package. Many options out there, and as usual, YMMV... ;)

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been out in the boondocks all summer (Michigan farm country). I back into the in law's driveway (about 150 ft) having to squeeze by my car trailer all the time and find no issues with the reverse lights. To be honest, I don't pay attention to the camera. I use the mirrors.

Also, as far as lighting, I haven't used highbeams either. Low beams with the fogs are plenty good out on the back roads that have zero street lights.

Klute

Reaction score
I installed an LED tailgate light strip that includes white backup lighting(along with brake and turn signals) works great. Kind of a pain to fasten under tailgate (with the backup camera and locking wires) but worth it.

mharringer

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how bad these lights are! I live in Alaska and haven't had to use my headlights/backup lights much since I bought the truck.

Winter is coming.

Damion

Reaction score
I too found the reverse lights non existent. My 16 was better but only marginally. Having the LED tails, my reverse lights are sealed and can't be changed.

So I put 2 4" led cubes under my bumper and wired them into my trailer reverse circuit. Works great and now I have all sorts of light back there while looking in my camera at night. The cubes are kinda tucked up so they are not noticeable in the daytime at all.

KSOTI

Reaction score
I used this SIMPLE and CHEAP fix as a quick way to get more light. It actually works really well, comes on with the reverse lights, needed ZERO skill and took literally 10 seconds to install.
View attachment 7907
Thats genious! At fir
I used this SIMPLE and CHEAP fix as a quick way to get more light. It actually works really well, comes on with the reverse lights, needed ZERO skill and took literally 10 seconds to install.
View attachment 7907
GENIUS!

Zeeya

Reaction score
Have any of you checked www.vleds.com ? Don’t laugh They sell a small light bar that fits across the to of your license plate. Utilizes those two screws to mount. Ran wire behind license plate and tied power into black wire of 7 pin plug. The black wire is reverse light for 7 pin. The white wire is ground. I have had this light a little over a year, year n a half now. Took it off of 17 KR when I traded it in and installed on this truck. I will try and get a picture at night and share.
I can see cars in the next drive clearly at night when backed out on the street.
No drilling, took about 30 minutes to install with wrapping wiring back up on back of 7 pin and tie wrapping excess up.

Last edited:

Griff

Reaction score
Have any of you checked www.vleds.com ? Don’t laugh They sell a small light bar that fits across the to of your license plate. Utilizes those two screws to mount. Ran wire behind license plate and tied power into black wire of 7 pin plug. The black wire is reverse light for 7 pin. The white wire is ground. I have had this light a little over a year, year n a half now. Took it off of 17 KR when I traded it in and installed on this truck. I will try and get a picture at night and share.
I can see cars in the next drive clearly at night when backed out on the street.
No drilling, took about 30 minutes to install with wrapping wiring back up on back of 7 pin and tie wrapping excess up.

Check out this thread: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/license-plate-reverse-light.4787/

Salty

Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea. So i comes on only when you put the truck in reverse? Is that correct?

spaightlabs

Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea. So i comes on only when you put the truck in reverse? Is that correct?
Yes, but read the entire thread. Fitment issues can cause some rubbing on the bottom of your tailgate. I believe some redesign is in the works.

Users who are viewing this thread