5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reverse/Back Up Lights with Camera at Night

J-Rad

Reaction score
Picked up my '19 Laramie with Black Appearance package a few days ago. It replaces a '14. Overall, love the updates. However, one thing I found to be a HUGE step backwards are the reverse lights at night. They're virtually non-existant. The camera is good (ie. high resolution, etc.). However, there is no illumination, which makes it almost worthless. Quite frankly, I'd go so far as to even call it dangerous. It's strange because headlights used to be an achilles of the 1500. That's no longer the case - the new LED headlights kill it!

Wondering if this an issue specific to my truck, the black appearance package, or if it's a common issue?

J-Rad

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think the camera is the issue. I think it's lack of illumination from the reverse lights. If the surrounding area is dark, it's a real problem.

RBRK

Reaction score
Ya I havent checked out the lighting but it could be the camera type. Some work better in low light conditions. How bout those nice low power crap bulbs they put in the roof for the bed? It’s a notch above a cigarette lighter..............maybe. Seriously who missed that ?

J-Rad

Reaction score
:) I don't know about those because I have the factory bedliner package, which includes some very nice LED bed lighting. Because I have a tonneau cover, that's all I can really speak to. Which is what makes this all the more mysterious to me. All the other lighting I've noticed is excellent.

RBRK

Reaction score
I have a Bakflip cover too, but the lights are still an embarrassment for a new truck. The headlights are awesome. Along with the interior mood lighting.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't complain about rear lighting. Similar to what I had with my F150 I traded in with a better camera than the F150. I've been staying in Michigan for a while and it's out in the boondocks with no extra lighting around and I can easily see what I need backing up a 150-200' driveway.

immersivenc

Reaction score
:) I don't know about those because I have the factory bedliner package, which includes some very nice LED bed lighting. Because I have a tonneau cover, that's all I can really speak to. Which is what makes this all the more mysterious to me. All the other lighting I've noticed is excellent.

I think @RBRK is referring to the cab lights on top of the cab next to the brake light, which are indeed crap. All LED lighting and they stuck some yellow halogen bulbs in there.

jimwjones

Reaction score
I also noticed that the view from the backup camera leaves a LOT to be desired. My first time backing up in a dark field was very uncomfortable. I also had the auto braking slam the brakes as I was looking at the screen trying to see if any thing was back there. Shouldn't need supplemental lighting on a brand new truck! Also, incandescent bulbs next to the 3rd brake-light are a joke.

Echance01

Reaction score
Agree the lights next to the third brake light are awful. Anyone figure out how to swap them out for something better yet?

RBRK

Reaction score
There are a lot of led bulbs out there. They probably are a 921, but I haven’t looked yet. Some nice CREE bulbs should work good. Fleabay has a lot for cheap. I just need to remove one and see the bulb type that is in there.

J-Rad

Reaction score
I checked this out a bit more the other night and RBRK may be right...it may be the camera. The reverse lights aren't ideal in their design; they're on an arc that blocks light to the center area behind the truck. That said, they seem to put out enough light to see. The camera simply doesn't pick up the light at night. Significant downgrade from the camera image in my '14.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Agree about the cargo lights. Just saw a new gen F150 at my parking garage and they seem to be bright white LEDs like the reverse lights, instead of the crap yellow tint lights on the RAM. Can someone confirm they are indeed halogen? Very disappointed if that's the case.

Disappointed Ram

Reaction score
I also noticed that the view from the backup camera leaves a LOT to be desired. My first time backing up in a dark field was very uncomfortable. I also had the auto braking slam the brakes as I was looking at the screen trying to see if any thing was back there. Shouldn't need supplemental lighting on a brand new truck! Also, incandescent bulbs next to the 3rd brake-light are a joke.

Ya, what was Ram thinking. Every night I back into my driveway I hate my new 2019 Limited. I cant see a thing. My 2014 worked great at night.

cjmst23

Reaction score
I used this SIMPLE and CHEAP fix as a quick way to get more light. It actually works really well, comes on with the reverse lights, needed ZERO skill and took literally 10 seconds to install.
Screenshot_20181110-081852.png

cjmst23

Reaction score
Forgot to add that it simply plugs right into the 7-pin connector

Reactions: MJB

SuperShortMag

Reaction score
That's pretty slick
For that price I think I'd take a chance and most folks don't have a trailer hooked up 99% of the time, so would seldom be a problem

cjmst23

Reaction score
That's pretty slick
For that price I think I'd take a chance and most folks don't have a trailer hooked up 99% of the time, so would seldom be a problem
Yep... And for $15 ain't worried about theft

Users who are viewing this thread