5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REV vs Ramcharger - who would buy a REV?

Arth

Reaction score
Does it have a sensor that can detect if the gas is going be?

It should. They already have a system in place for the 4xE Wranglers and Grand Cherokee's. Being an owner of a few Wrangler 4xE's thus far I deal with this already.

When the system decides the oil gets deluded or gas is going bad it'll put the vehicle in FORM (Fuel oil refresh mode). It will force the ICE to run until certain parameters are met.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ram used the exact same function.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't know when the engine actually kicks in. My guess here is that you still have to charge it normally as an EV. Then at some point maybe 30-40% charge left, the engine kicks in to charge it...but not completely charge the battery.

Don't think that the engine would be designed to fully charge the battery. Its to just supplement the battery when it gets to a specific battery level.

If it can charge the battery at all, why would it NOT be able to charge it to full?

Like this says:

Here’s an article that explains more about towing, drive modes, and power distribution.
While nobody is ever going to do this, you can technically drive throughout the entire ownership of the ramcharger without ever plugging it in to charge the battery. And, on the other hand, it’s possible to go without ever using any fuel.

In theory, you could drive it all the time and never plug it in (and still be able to drive it on electricity only when you want).

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it can charge the battery at all, why would it NOT be able to charge it to full?

Like this says:

In theory, you could drive it all the time and never plug it in (and still be able to drive it on electricity only when you want).
Kinda defeating the purpose of the ev part if your just gonna put gas in it for the engine. Not really efficient in my eyes.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda defeating the purpose of the ev part if your just gonna put gas in it for the engine. Not really efficient in my eyes.

But nobody is ever going to do that. Under normal circumstances, people are going to run it full electric throughout their daily routines (up to ~145 miles), and plug it in to charge at home, in which case, they’ll rarely use any fuel if at all.

Then, if they decide to go out on, say, an 800 mile road trip pulling the camper, they can do the entire trip without having to stop anywhere to plug in to charge the battery, only to fuel up the gas tank.

Sure, it would be inefficient if a ramcharger owner continually runs through the full ~690 mile fuel/electric range between each fill up/full charge.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fast forward to 1:08:50 and they interview the chief engineer for propulsion for the Ramcharger -

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fast forward to 1:08:50 and they interview the chief engineer for propulsion for the Ramcharger -

Just went over it. It will have a smaller battery and a 26 gallon gas tank. Your gonna hear the v6 engine running when charging the truck, and it will have an exhaust, which I can't imagine gonna sound that good. He said the exhaust will "rev match" what your doing with the petal. Lastly....goodbye to that frunk...engine has to go somewhere.

I get what they are trying to do with range on the rev, I just think they could have gone the "ram rev hybrid" route. Stick the i6 turbo in there (which is the primary power source) with all of the full drivetrain , smaller ev battery. You can switch between gas only, electric only (but short distance) or hybrid to combine it. Towing uses gas and electric no matter what. Kinda like your traditional hybrid

They kinda did it backwards and they are trying to get folks on that mpg range. But in reality, your adding more servicable components to the rev, losing some feature with the frunk, adding a gas tank which he stated you won't want to use ethanol because it can cause corrosion. They still want you to charge the battery, so your gonna have to sit there and charge it at lower charging speeds too. Get gas, then charge battery to full charge to get the full 600+ miles

It's a nice marketing strategy, but I'm not sold on it. But I'm sure some folks would buy into it on the " I'm gonna get gas then charge my EV" feeling is just kinda weird to me in general.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just went over it. It will have a smaller battery and a 26 gallon gas tank. Your gonna hear the v6 engine running when charging the truck, and it will have an exhaust, which I can't imagine gonna sound that good. He said the exhaust will "rev match" what your doing with the petal. Lastly....goodbye to that frunk...engine has to go somewhere.

I get what they are trying to do with range on the rev, I just think they could have gone the "ram rev hybrid" route. Stick the i6 turbo in there (which is the primary power source) with all of the full drivetrain , smaller ev battery. You can switch between gas only, electric only (but short distance) or hybrid to combine it. Towing uses gas and electric no matter what. Kinda like your traditional hybrid

They kinda did it backwards and they are trying to get folks on that mpg range. But in reality, your adding more servicable components to the rev, losing some feature with the frunk, adding a gas tank which he stated you won't want to use ethanol because it can cause corrosion. They still want you to charge the battery, so your gonna have to sit there and charge it at lower charging speeds too. Get gas, then charge battery to full charge to get the full 600+ miles

It's a nice marketing strategy, but I'm not sold on it. But I'm sure some folks would buy into it on the " I'm gonna get gas then charge my EV" feeling is just kinda weird to me in general.

Why do you feel you would need to charge the battery when getting fuel? And why at s owner charge rate? The Ramcharger is not the REV. Two different platforms. It's actually brilliant the way they did this. Less drivetrain components means less maintenance and more room for the batteries. Same concept as the diesel/electric locomotives that have been in use for decades. The pentastar is a proven engine that is already in wide use. Smaller than the Hurricane so it's easier to connect the generator and parts readily available.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They still want you to charge the battery, so your gonna have to sit there and charge it at lower charging speeds too. Get gas, then charge battery to full charge to get the full 600+ miles
You seem to be misunderstanding the use/operation of this vehicle. You technically don’t ever have to charge the battery by plugging it in. As long as there is fuel in the gas tank, you can drive the truck.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why do you feel you would need to charge the battery when getting fuel? And why at s owner charge rate? The Ramcharger is not the REV. Two different platforms. It's actually brilliant the way they did this. Less drivetrain components means less maintenance and more room for the batteries. Same concept as the diesel/electric locomotives that have been in use for decades. The pentastar is a proven engine that is already in wide use. Smaller than the Hurricane so it's easier to connect the generator and parts readily available.

But isn’t the ram charger still using the rev platform? To make room for the engine, they made the battery smaller. Still using the electric motors and power train.

2022 Ram 1500 Back Country
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You seem to be misunderstanding the use/operation of this vehicle. You technically don’t ever have to charge the battery by plugging it in. As long as there is fuel in the gas tank, you can drive the truck.

My assumption here is that the main propulsion of this truck is the electric power. The engine only kicks in when you need a charge. Still need to charge the battery…you can do it in different ways that’s all. The engine isn’t the main source of power here.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
But isn’t the ram charger still using the rev platform? To make room for the engine, they made the battery smaller. Still using the electric motors and power train.

Batteries never go in the engine compartment...
The problem with the batteries in the weight, tons of places you can put them on a truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

No, have you not seen the pictures?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, have you not seen the pictures?
100% did. According to moparinsider "The 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger is built on the cutting-edge STLA Frame platform, purpose-designed for full-size electric vehicles with a body-on-frame architecture"

In that link, it uses the electric platform, and designed the engine as a generator around the electric portion.

Are you seening the same picture I do? Same electric frame with an engine on it

950d65f76cd1c58468ee26e0d4a69b75.jpg

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I'll take the pentastar as the generator thanks. Turbos just add even more complexity, as long as the v6 has enough grunt to power the generator then that's perfect.

The idea with this truck is that you plug it in at home, drive to work like a regular EV. But when towing or taking long trips, you can avoid public charging and all the range anxiety that goes with it.

I would not trade my hemi in for this, I'll drive it till the wheels fall off. But its the better option than pure EV's by a long stretch. Its definitely more complex, but the v6 is a known entity with very few issues (biggest one seems to be oil filter mount which cracks and needs replacement, a few have heads issues, but its a really solid motor).

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
debating something with no infrastructure in place to support it. People are too busy to do anything more than drive to and from work so its getting to be anything to save gas money. When they admit that oil is plentiful and cheap why would anyone want an electric vehicle with the complexities and limitations associated with charging it. Just got back from Vegas and every single Tesla that was an Uber would barely have the AC going - couldn't risk the battery drain and take them out of commission for the night.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
debating something with no infrastructure in place to support it. People are too busy to do anything more than drive to and from work so its getting to be anything to save gas money. When they admit that oil is plentiful and cheap why would anyone want an electric vehicle with the complexities and limitations associated with charging it. Just got back from Vegas and every single Tesla that was an Uber would barely have the AC going - couldn't risk the battery drain and take them out of commission for the night.
Because it’s better to sacrifice energy independence and national security, to appease big tech and the deep state. It’s about money, not about the planet.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread is about the ram rev and the ramcharger. Stick to the subject or post somewhere else. We do love your "positive" attitude towards the future, but this post is about the ramcharger.

Users who are viewing this thread