5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

frisby5

Reaction score
Im getting ready to install my 33g tnk . It doesnt look like the inside of.my tank has the splash gaurd with hinge aa some people has described in this thread. Is this the right tank? Pics attch.
Bump..

frisby5

Reaction score
What does it look like from the outside? Take the cover off the fill-hole and look inside. Do you see a flap or is it an open port to the tank?
I posted pictures on the last page #740 i believe

frisby5

Reaction score
I saw those pictures. That's the inside of the tank.
So i was wondering if there is supposed to be a splash gaurd inside of it ? Some members said their tank had a splash guard with a hinge inside. So is my tank
Ok or is it missing something?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So i was wondering if there is supposed to be a splash gaurd inside of it ? Some members said their tank had a splash guard with a hinge inside. So is my tank
Ok or is it missing something?
I think you're referring to the check valve.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1000014660.jpg I just went out and looked inside my tank. This looks like yours. I stuck something in it to demonstrate the valve.

frisby5

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20240206_103649.jpg
    20240206_103649.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 28

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UzzVokhAx9.png

Pop that yellow cover off and look inside. You'll see the valve.
It looks like a 33-gallon tank to me.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All, I just swapped the 33 gallon tank over this afternoon with one of my mechanic buddies and everything is working as it should for the most part. Truck starts, runs, and drives fine but I am getting a check engine light and error code P0460 stating there is an error with the Fuel Level Sensor. Has anyone ran into this before? The check engine light came on immediately upon starting and everything appears to be correct from what we can see. The only issue is the fuel gauge on the cluster is not reading whatsoever. It shows completely empty. I confirmed that the tank capacity was updated properly with AlfaOBD, and I filled the tank after hoping it would clear up the issue but no dice. I can clear the code but it returns immediately. Anyone encounter anything similar or have ideas? Going to drive and burn off some of this fuel before we drop the tank again on another day to dive back into it, but was hoping someone might have some additional insight. Thanks.

View attachment 176518
Finally got this sorted out, and we were actually able to identify the issue really quickly. After dropping the tank for a second time, we decided to start with the fuel pump harness given the nature of the trouble code. Everything appeared okay at first glance, but when inspecting the connector we came across a damaged wire (blue w/ white tracer). The wire broke inside the connector at the physical pin, and when we gave each wire a pull during our inspection, this wire pulled right out of the connector.

Again, we were super careful while we did this project and we never allowed the tank to hang freely or create tension on the harness, but I guess at some point we managed to do something that this wire didn't agree with.

We disassembled the connector, replaced the pin, and repaired the broken wire. Check engine light is gone and the fuel gauge is reading properly!

Not an ideal situation, but a very quick and painless repair. Officially in the 33 club!

IMG_1741.jpeg

Last edited:

frisby5

Reaction score
Guys i have two extra wires with no where to plug into?

Attachments

• 20240219_141041.jpg
    20240219_141041.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 32

frisby5

Reaction score
Guys i have two extra wires with no where to plug into?
This 23 g has a extra plug near the fuel pump on the old fitting but not on the new 33g one?

Attachments

• 20240219_145909.jpg
    20240219_145909.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 26

frisby5

Reaction score
The fuel line bundle is 52030443AC , I haven't received yet but that's what I was told, as you can see by mic pic the 22 gallon has no such electric part, in fact yours is the first one i have seen with it, is your diesel?
I have the 5.7 and i have that same issue but i didnt see any response and im not sure what to do im in limbo with the 33 g tank ready to install

frisby5

Reaction score
Looks like the same issue this guy talks through. Start at the 8:00 minute mark. Same situation?

Yes same situation , he spliced his hose with makeshift rubber. Not sure if i need to do that, i dont want to cut the new one though lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online