5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

Biesty

Reaction score
I found four parts all called vapor tube…
how do i know what each one is/does? View attachment 171981
This may help you

This may help also

NGEN

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
We currently have a used one for sale if anyone is interested. We can ship it but will likely not be cost effective. If you are in the Greater Houston area, you can pick it up from us.

nc3

Reaction score
Hi everyone -- I have a '22 Rebel that I'm looking to do the 23 gal → 33 gal upgrade on. I called my local dealer to check my parts list. They said they had an official bulletin from Chrysler saying to not do this because the 33 gal tank is not compatible for trucks with the 23 or 26 gal tanks because of an incompatible safety check valve that could be dangerous in the event of a vehicle rollover.

Did anyone get this pushback? For those that installed, do you see this being an issue? I was thinking that any such valve could be reused?

rentrad

Reaction score
Great Thread only took me 1 day to go over it.. I bought a 22 Ram Ecodiesel CrewCab with the 26g now that I am commuting about 180 miles a day for work and 30 minutes of traffic, I can get to the 4th day needing to fill up. My range is just about 720 miles or so, averaging 32mpg with light traffic and about 28mpg with heavy traffic.. I am going to need to get this upgrade done as it will improve my quality of life.. LOL..

What I didn't see was anyone with Eco trucks doing the swap.. Should I use the same parts as someone that has a Crew Cab? I am going to start ordering the parts soon I want to make sure I get everything right. Also I will get the Alpha OBD as I don't want to rely on the dealer for anything.

Storm Tech

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Finally got the 33 gallon fuel tank swapped out and installed a few days ago! My friend who’s a mechanic did the install for me. I know there’s a few parts list going around on here and everyone has used different parts. Figured I’d share everything I bought vs. everything I actually needed and used. I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Rebel Quad Cab 6.4 bed that had a 26 gallon tank for reference.

I purchased:
  • 52030443AB BUNDLE - FUEL LINE
  • 52029891AB STRAP - FUEL TANK x2
  • 68307831AA TUBE - VAPOR
  • 52030458AB STRAP - FUEL TANK
  • 68267057AB HARNESS - VAPOR PURGE
  • 68408875AC TANK - FUEL (called a local salvage yard and got lucky purchasing a used tank with a vapor canister already!)
Above is everything I purchased. Nothing more, nothing less. Below is the parts I did NOT use and will be returning to the store. Pretty much everything but the fuel tank and bundle hose. My mechanic and I were able to re-use almost everything that was already there. Getting the used tank from the salvage yard with the vapor canister and hoses already was a huge help for me.
  • 52030458AB STRAP - FUEL TANK x2 (original straps work no need to buy new ones)
  • 52029908AB HOSE - PURGE (original worked)
  • 68267057AB HARNESS - VAPOR PURGE (original line worked)
  • 68307831AA TUBE - VAPOR (original worked)
  • 52030458AB STRAP - FUEL TANK ( I do not have the mounting points for the third strap. Talking to RAMMIT’s buddy about possibly fabricating one. So far no issues running with two straps).
I updated the trucks computer from 98 liter capacity to 125 liter capacity with AlfaOBD. I love having the bigger tank on the truck. Averaging about 400-425 range now And filling up every other week instead of every week!

All in all this forum was a great help to get this done, I appreciate everyone’s input and information. I strongly recommend finding a local shop you trust or grab a buddy and do this install for anyone looking to do this. As well as finding a used tank from a salvage yard (as most will come with the vapor canister and other hoses!). For me, parts and install total out the door was around $350 to complete.

I wish I would have done it sooner! ….. P.S if anyone wants to buy a stock 26 gallon tank let me know! 😂

Last edited:

Meen318

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Finally got the 33 gallon fuel tank swapped out and installed a few days ago! My friend who’s a mechanic did the install for me. I know there’s a few parts list going around on here and everyone has used different parts. Figured I’d share everything I bought vs. everything I actually needed and used. I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Rebel Quad Cab 6.4 bed that had a 26 gallon tank for reference.

I purchased:
  • 52030443AB BUNDLE - FUEL LINE
  • 52029891AB STRAP - FUEL TANK x2
  • 68307831AA TUBE - VAPOR
  • 52030458AB STRAP - FUEL TANK
  • 68267057AB HARNESS - VAPOR PURGE
  • 68408875AC TANK - FUEL (called a local salvage yard and got lucky purchasing a used tank with a vapor canister already!)
Above is everything I purchased. Nothing more, nothing less. Below is the parts I did NOT use and will be returning to the store. Pretty much everything but the fuel tank and bundle hose. My mechanic and I were able to re-use almost everything that was already there. Getting the used tank from the salvage yard with the vapor canister and hoses already was a huge help for me.
  • 52030458AB STRAP - FUEL TANK x2 (original straps work no need to buy new ones)
  • 52029908AB HOSE - PURGE (original worked)
  • 68267057AB HARNESS - VAPOR PURGE (original line worked)
  • 68307831AA TUBE - VAPOR (original worked)
  • 52030458AB STRAP - FUEL TANK ( I do not have the mounting points for the third strap. Talking to RAMMIT’s buddy about possibly fabricating one. So far no issues running with two straps).
I updated the trucks computer from 98 liter capacity to 125 liter capacity with AlfaOBD. I love having the bigger tank on the truck. Averaging about 400-425 range now And filling up every other week instead of every week!

All in all this forum was a great help to get this done, I appreciate everyone’s input and information. I strongly recommend finding a local shop you trust or grab a buddy and do this install for anyone looking to do this. As well as finding a used tank from a salvage yard (as most will come with the vapor canister and other hoses!). For me, parts and install total out the door was around $350 to complete.

I wish I would have done it sooner! ….. P.S if anyone wants to buy a stock 26 gallon tank let me know! 😂
I hope that used tank is the updated version. I see that it has the green filler neck on it. The one I bought new had a grey filler neck. I replaced my 26 gallon tank that had filling issues and it had the green filler. Not sure if that has anything in common or not but just an observation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107_005941_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107_005941_Gallery.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 59

Boatman22

Reaction score
We currently have a used one for sale if anyone is interested. We can ship it but will likely not be cost effective. If you are in the Greater Houston area, you can pick it up from us.

Morning, do you still have the tank for sale?

frisby5

Reaction score
I want to put in the 33 gallon tank upgrade. Anyone know where i can get the fuelpump for cheaper than $500 ? I have the 23 gallon seems alot just for the pump and i still have to buy everything else.

Meen318

Reaction score
I want to put in the 33 gallon tank upgrade. Anyone know where i can get the fuelpump for cheaper than $500 ? I have the 23 gallon seems alot just for the pump and i still have to buy everything else.
I bought a used one on Ebay for $50 for a spare just in case I broke mine during the swap. But checking today seems like the used ones doubled in price. Not sure how you feel about installing a used fuel pump for around $100 but it is another option.

frisby5

Reaction score
I bought a used one on Ebay for $50 for a spare just in case I broke mine during the swap. But checking today seems like the used ones doubled in price. Not sure how you feel about installing a used fuel pump for around $100 but it is another option.
Yeah i was looking at ebay but if im going to do all the work i would rather put in a new one. Cant believe they want that much for that one . The 23g pump is only 175 , its mostly plastic doesnt cost them much to make

frisby5

Reaction score
What parts can i use from the 23 gallon tank so i dont need to buy for the 33g.
Thx

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What parts can i use from the 23 gallon tank so i dont need to buy for the 33g.
Thx

Maybe the mounting bolts lol.. might wanna reread this thread and check the part list several have posted. 23 to 33 requires more… 26 to 33 well they can at least reuse the fuel pump cutting cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

frisby5

Reaction score
I finally installed my 33 gallon tank used the recommendations by jsandgren10 earlier in this thread using steel bar and the earlier bracket retrofit kit. It actually took me longer to fabricate the bracket and drill the frame than it did to drop and reinstall the tank. Was really easy. Pic shows bracket installation in progress. View attachment 98143
What measurements did you use to mount bracket? Im going to mount one for my tank its missing on my truck.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All, I just swapped the 33 gallon tank over this afternoon with one of my mechanic buddies and everything is working as it should for the most part. Truck starts, runs, and drives fine but I am getting a check engine light and error code P0460 stating there is an error with the Fuel Level Sensor. Has anyone ran into this before? The check engine light came on immediately upon starting and everything appears to be correct from what we can see. The only issue is the fuel gauge on the cluster is not reading whatsoever. It shows completely empty. I confirmed that the tank capacity was updated properly with AlfaOBD, and I filled the tank after hoping it would clear up the issue but no dice. I can clear the code but it returns immediately. Anyone encounter anything similar or have ideas? Going to drive and burn off some of this fuel before we drop the tank again on another day to dive back into it, but was hoping someone might have some additional insight. Thanks.

IMG_1670.jpeg

Last edited:

frisby5

Reaction score
All, I just swapped the 33 gallon tank over this afternoon with one of my mechanic buddies and everything is working as it should for the most part. Truck starts, runs, and drives fine but I am getting a check engine light and error code P0460 stating there is an error with the Fuel Level Sensor. Has anyone ran into this before? The check engine light came on immediately upon starting and everything appears to be correct from what we can see. The only issue is the fuel gauge on the cluster is not reading whatsoever. It shows completely empty. I confirmed that the tank capacity was updated properly with AlfaOBD, and I filled the tank after hoping it would clear up the issue but no dice. I can clear the code but it returns immediately. Anyone encounter anything similar or have ideas? Going to drive and burn off some of this fuel before we drop the tank again on another day to dive back into it, but was hoping someone might have some additional insight. Thanks.

View attachment 176518
Im following , iam in the process of swapping from 23 to 33 , just waiting on fuelpump and 3rd bracket

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im following , iam in the process of swapping from 23 to 33 , just waiting on fuelpump and 3rd bracket
I’m swapping from the 26 to 33 so it shouldn’t be anything fuel pump related. We were very careful with removal and when installing the pump to the 33, but I think that’s where we are going to start. All of the other connections appear to be correct from what we could see while we still had daylight. I searched the forum and didn’t see any search results for that P0460 code so I’m not really sure where else to begin.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

View attachment 176518
lets tag @Jimmy07
and see what they think

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After chatting with another member that recently finished his own tank retrofit, he believes it could be where the physical float is connected to the fuel pump assembly. Small chance it was disturbed during the removal or install. Sounds like he ran into a similar issue where his slightly disengaged from the groove that it clicks into, but he managed to catch and correct during install. I'm leaning towards something like that being the culprit, or the connector itself not being fully seated or something. We are planning to dig back into it this Friday or Saturday.

Last edited:

frisby5

Reaction score
Im getting ready to install my 33g tnk . It doesnt look like the inside of.my tank has the splash gaurd with hinge aa some people has described in this thread. Is this the right tank? Pics attch.

Attachments

• 20240213_103824.jpg
    20240213_103824.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240213_103928.jpg
    20240213_103928.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread