5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought one can reuse the existing fuel pump. That's a big expense.

I also thought a crossmember is required to install the fuel tank skid plate. Following is what I researched before I dismissed the fuel skid plate idea due to the compromised ground clearance:

68348386AB - Frame cross member
4x 06508646AA and 6x 06104416AA - hardware to install the cross member, 4 retainer nuts and 6 bolts
Only the 26 gallon tank has a common fuel pump.

jakev

Reaction score
I thought one can reuse the existing fuel pump. That's a big expense.

I also thought a crossmember is required to install the fuel tank skid plate. Following is what I researched before I dismissed the fuel skid plate idea due to the compromised ground clearance:

68348386AB - Frame cross member
4x 06508646AA and 6x 06104416AA - hardware to install the cross member, 4 retainer nuts and 6 bolts
My understanding is when you go from 23 to 33 you need a different fuel pump. Apparently the 26 and 33 tanks share a different pump from the 23. Do I still need those cross memebers if I already have a skid plate for the 23 gal tank?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My understanding is when you go from 23 to 33 you need a different fuel pump. Apparently the 26 and 33 tanks share a different pump from the 23. Do I still need those cross memebers if I already have a skid plate for the 23 gal tank?
I think you may be confusing the tank's shield with the ORG skid plate. They're two different things.

barrak

Reaction score
I think you may be confusing the tank's shield with the ORG skid plate. They're two different things.

Yes... to be sure, I was referring to the gas tank skid plate. I opted against it because it shaves 3 inches off the ground clearance in that area according to the video below. The other OEM skid plates and the Skeerdy Cat skid plate sit much more flushed to the frame rails and crossmembers.

FestivalBro

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten dealer prices for the swap recently? I’m going to call tomorrow but I’m assuming they are wildly out of control since they tried to charge over $800 for a remote start installation on my wife’s jeep.

Also, for those of you that have already swapped tanks. What is the difficulty level 1-10. By all account this only seems to take 2-3 hours.
I tried two dealers and they couldn't figure out how to quote it.

Reactions: JRD

Bubs Ram

Reaction score
I swapped out tanks tonight.
It took about an hour and a half by myself. It was a whole lot easier than pulling out the telematic module (unrelated to the fuel tank - it was another mod I did before the tank swap).

I only needed the four parts I listed above. Even the canister fit without any issues. It was pointed out in an earlier post that the white thing on the end that the hose connects to is oriented differently between the 26 and 33 gallon tanks. That is incorrect. In the photo that demonstrates this, the module is just twisted because that's how you remove it. Mine was the same as it is on the 33 gallon tank. The subtle shape difference is of no concern. The brackets on the tank hold the 26 gallon canister perfectly, without compromise.

I didn't use any 3rd bracket and don't intend to use one. I could hang off of the front of the 33 gallon tank and it doesn't move or flex. It's stout. Of course, that is only my opinion. If my truck had the provisional bracket for the strap, I'd install it. It doesn't, so I won't.

I set the fuel capacity to 125 liters with AlfaOBD, filled my tank with about 2.5 gallons from a jug, then went down to the gasoline station and filled it up. It took 30.7 gallons.

I did reuse the heat shield. It was under the truck when I took the pictures.

View attachment 166342

View attachment 166343

View attachment 166344

View attachment 166345
View attachment 166357

View attachment 166358
@cskindt Now that it has been a few months since you swapped your tank, have you had any issues with the truck since you didn't switch the canister? I am planning on doing the swap myself and don't want to buy unnecessary parts. Any issues with filling the tank with the hose shutting off or anything?
Thanks.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Yes, if they charge $425 for the 33 gal upgrade I'd hate to see what they want for it all by itself - through parts.
Complete rip off, profit center for the greedy. In 2013 when I ordered my 1500 RAM, the 32-gallon upcharge was $75.00 ($99.24 in today's dollars).

I was curious, $584.97 for the fuel tank.

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I have the 26g tank and a quad-cab.
I only bought 4 parts:
68408875AF - 33g gasoline tank
52030443AC - fuel line bundle
52029908AB - purge hose
57008588AA - vapor tube (might be specific to quad-cabs)

I plan on reusing everything else.

i put the four parts on my Christmas list….
i will be doing the swap in jan
or spring if winter hits hard in detroit.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@cskindt Now that it has been a few months since you swapped your tank, have you had any issues with the truck since you didn't switch the canister? I am planning on doing the swap myself and don't want to buy unnecessary parts. Any issues with filling the tank with the hose shutting off or anything?
Thanks.
I've had exactly 0 problems.
It makes no practical sense why there is a different canister for different sized tanks.
Everything has been normal and surprise-free.
You can fill it with a fire hose.

Last edited:

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i put the four parts on my Christmas list….
i will be doing the swap in jan
or spring if winter hits hard in detroit.
Nice. That's better than a lump of coal.
Just note that I have a quad cab. If you don't, you might need a different part number for the vapor tube.

Good luck!

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice. That's better than a lump of coal.
Just note that I have a quad cab. If you don't, you might need a different part number for the vapor tube.

Good luck

Checked and the length does not seem to matter for vapor tube….
But now i am confused about something else….
I thought those four parts would be universal….
but it only says they fit v8 models.
Nothing about v6 models…..

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Checked and the length does not seem to matter for vapor tube….
But now i am confused about something else….
I thought those four parts would be universal….
but it only says they fit v8 models.
Nothing about v6 models…..
I don't know why anything other than the vapor tube would be different between the V6 and V8.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The tanks MAY be different, due to differences in emissions systems. One may have more hoses to it than the other. It MAY just be a different part number for a V6. It is an available option though, so you need to do more research.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found four parts all called vapor tube…
how do i know what each one is/does? View attachment 171981
Good question.
I found a post in this thread where someone compared different tubes and asked another user that also has a quad cab which part they used. I still felt like it was a leap of faith when I ordered the parts.
I think most will say the same.

Storm Tech

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I took the time to read through it. I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Rebel with the 26 gallon tank. My old RAM had the 33 gallon tank and I miss it.

I decided to bite the bullet and do the swap. Luckily for me a salvage yard about a hour away from me had a 33 gallon tank on the yard. Was able to pickup the 33 gallon tank with the vapor canister and heat shield for $180.

I ordered the other parts needed. Once they arrive and I install the new tank i’ll post my completed parts list. Thanks for everyone who’s posted and done this, thus far! Looking forward to doing the swap and getting back to the bigger tank!

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpeg
    IMG_0073.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread