5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

Tommy R

Reaction score
I already picked up a 3.5 gallon Rotopax "jerry can" for road trip and overland trips. If a 33 gallon retrofit becomes available for a reasonable price, it would make the horrible economy much more bearable. FCA, you listening? :)

U

User_7672

If this could be done for $500-600, all-in, I'd absolutely retrofit a 33 gallon tank into my Rebel. I absolutely love my truck, but the economy is atrocious and I do road trips with friends towing our Jeeps. I would undoubtedly be "that guy" who has to stop for fuel at nearly every opportunity. I would carry a jerry can with me just in case I push it too far, but it'd be nice to simply have the larger tank to extend the range.
I like the jerry can idea.

vargona09

Reaction score
Bumping to follow and see if anyone has had success yet. Just bought my 2019 and could not find one with the 33gal upgrade option with all the other features I was looking for.

Hym8nce

Reaction score
Bumping again to see if there are any updates? Has anyone been able to do the swap yet?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I went to the one dealership they were clueless. The first thing they wanted were the last 8 of my vin. Then they looked and said your truck isn’t set up for that. I explained to them what’s different about it that wouldn’t allow it to work. They told me my bed was too short. Then they said my gauge wouldn’t read up to 33 gallons. Lastly was told the cost to do that would be too prohibitive. Lol obviously they’ve not met me ...

Thumper

Reaction score
I was also interested in doing the tank swap on my Laramie. If anyone gets this done please post all the info so the rest of us can see it as well. My F150 had the 37 gallon tank and I really miss the extra distance I could get.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I went to the one dealership they were clueless. The first thing they wanted were the last 8 of my vin. Then they looked and said your truck isn’t set up for that. I explained to them what’s different about it that wouldn’t allow it to work. They told me my bed was too short. Then they said my gauge wouldn’t read up to 33 gallons. Lastly was told the cost to do that would be too prohibitive. Lol obviously they’ve not met me ...
......no room for bigger tank because of all the exhaust upgrades...... :ROFLMAO:
IMG_3020.jpg

Thumper

Reaction score
I will do this at some point. I will install it myself and have the dealer flash the new sales code or whatever it is called. After having the 32 in my 11 Hemi I can't stand the 8 gallon tank in my 19.
Have you done this yet?

jaychris

Reaction score
FWIW, on my last truck I had an aftermarket (50 gal; diesel) tank installed. I never did any flashes or updates and so the gauge just stayed at Full until the the fuel level dropped down far enough for the sending unit to start reading something other than Full. It's just a bucket, IMO.

If I can buy the 33 gal tank and it'll fit with all the same parts that the current tank uses, then I don't really care whether the gauge reads continuously or not.

Does anyone have any idea if it will fit into the same space/mounts the smaller tank uses (i.e., it's just a swap)?

canative

Reaction score
Anyone know how feasible swapping gas tanks would be? My mileage thus far has been pretty terrible and I’m kinda regretting not getting the larger gas tank.

I would think it could dropped in and replace/recalibrate the fuel level sensor.
What kind of mileage you getting? I have a 32 gallon tank in my '19 Big Horn and so far I've gone about 450 miles on a full tank.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope to do some research on this as well. I can’t believe they would put 23 gallon tanks in these trucks with the etorque.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
At ~$700 it would be a no brainer for me to go from 26 gallons to 33 gallons.

I would not be surprised if you can just swap over tanks and have the fuel gauge read correctly. I doubt the actual fuel pump and floater are any different in the 33-gallon tanks. I'm pretty sure the 33 gallon is just longer (not taller or wider) than the other tanks. So as the fuel level goes down the level still reads the same as a 26-gallon tank would. Meaning it doesn't care how many gallons it has. It only knows that the level arm is getting lower in the tank. I'm not sure I'm explaining correctly, but I've done lots of fuel pump swaps that involve the level sensor and sender.

I do believe the MPG reading would be off though. That's probably where a software flash would be needed.

Last edited:

Bram2019

Reaction score
Reasonably sure tank number is 68408875ac which is $700.00 list. The pump and sending unit are probably the same. Fuel lines, don't know. Whether the truck can be updated to show the new size tank is questionable. That requires an update of the vehicle configuration, otherwise mileage and range would probably not be correct.

bcpsw

Reaction score
At ~$700 it would be a no brainer for me to go from 26 gallons to 30 gallons.

I would not be surprised if you can just swap over tanks and have the fuel gauge read correctly. I doubt the actual fuel pump and floater are any different in the 33-gallon tanks. I'm pretty sure the 33 gallon is just longer (not taller or wider) than the other tanks. So as the fuel level goes down the level still reads the same as a 26-gallon tank would. Meaning it doesn't care how many gallons it has. It only knows that the level arm is getting lower in the tank. I'm not sure I'm explaining correctly, but I've down lots of fuel pump swaps that involve the level sensor and sender.

I do believe the MPG reading would be off though. That's probably where a software flash would be needed.
I just had the dealer where I bought the truck install a 33 gallon tank. They told me it could not be done but after the head mechanic looked at a new Ram with the 33 gallon tank he thought it could be done. I know I overpaid on this but it is installed and works great. I pull a 28' enclosed car trailer and the extra 7 gallons makes a difference.

I am attaching the invoice that has all the part numbers needed to do the swap. You could shop the parts and install yourself to really save some cash.

Attachments

• 2019 Ram 33 gallon fuel tank parts list.PNG
    2019 Ram 33 gallon fuel tank parts list.PNG
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,180

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had the dealer where I bought the truck install a 33 gallon tank. They told me it could not be done but after the head mechanic looked at a new Ram with the 33 gallon tank he thought it could be done. I know I overpaid on this but it is installed and works great. I pull a 28' enclosed car trailer and the extra 7 gallons makes a difference.

I am attaching the invoice that has all the part numbers needed to do the swap. You could shop the parts and install yourself to really save some cash.
Great information and thanks for sharing. Did they have to update the software to get it to register correctly on the fuel gauge. Also, I see it lists fuel line. Did the fuel line need completely changed? If you don’t mind sharing some costs, please do.

Users who are viewing this thread