5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retraxpro XR vs RetraxONE XR which one?

O Captain My Captian

Reaction score
Retrax PRO XR is on my 2020 Ram with MFT and works great,
I was considering this as well but the Retrax dealer said it would NOT work with the MFT on my truck. I would like to hear if there have been any issues with fitment or leaks? Do you have any pics to share? Thanks in advance.

I have a 2020 Ram Limited, 5x7 box with RamBox and MFT.

O Captain My Captian

Reaction score
I added a couple of washers to move the rails away from the rambox lids a bit and it seems to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you add washers along the bedrails themselves or is it with the Retrax rails? Just curious as to how your got it to fit and seal so nicely when others with RamBoxes have had issues getting a water-tight seal.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Did you add washers along the bedrails themselves or is it with the Retrax rails? Just curious as to how your got it to fit and seal so nicely when others with RamBoxes have had issues getting a water-tight seal.

I added them to the Retrax hardware that goes on the silver rails that comes with the rambox

ppowell1983

Reaction score

Sorry for how long it’s taken to get back to you. I added them on top of the rail mounts to lift up the Retrax Rails.

Look better. The factory rails and the Retrax rails. You will see a washer there.
a2593f223d3cfeae7fcb83d5d31d1f15.jpg

Trailer Swift

Reaction score
Sorry for dusting this one off, but any comments on the loss of bed space from the canister? I really want some racks for surf and SUPs, but a 4'6 box is turning me off.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry for dusting this one off, but any comments on the loss of bed space from the canister? I really want some racks for surf and SUPs, but a 4'6 box is turning me off.
You will lose bed space of about 12" from the canister. However, the canister sits several inches above the bed floor so you can still slide items up to the front cab if they aren't too tall. I can take some exact measurements if you'll find them useful.

I LOVE Retrax (this is my third one) and there is no better cover on the market if you are willing to spend a bit more.

Trailer Swift

Reaction score
That's great to hear! I'll be using the truck to tow a travel trailer, and there aren't that many options when it comes to longer items.

brakervan

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first truck, a black 2018 F-150 XLT. I have been trying to find a tonneau cover that allows me to put my bike and other things on a rack above my truck bed and the Retrax XR versions seem to be the way to go. My question is, is it worth it to upgrade to the pro version? It's about a $600 difference Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox .

Last edited:

Trailer Swift

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first truck, a black 2018 F-150 XLT. I have been trying to find a tonneau cover that allows me to put my bike and other things on a rack above my truck bed and the Retrax XR versions seem to be the way to go. My question is, is it worth it to upgrade to the pro version? It's about a $600 difference.
I have the same question. I think someone in this thread said the main difference is the weight capacity.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the same question. I think someone in this thread said the main difference is the weight capacity.
Main difference is that the cover on the costlier unit is thick heavy gauge solid aluminum panels versus a polycarbonate material. It is both weight and overall durability.

Last edited:

Spendo81

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Still undecided. Taking a rode trip in a month. I really need to hurry up and buy something. :oops:
I'm in the same situation. I have decided to go Retraxpro XR for the aluminum as opposed to polycarbonate. I like the ability to hold more weight and better security for items in back.

mark-e-mark

Reaction score
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any updates to their cover. I've heard gripes about water leakage and rattling. Anyone have additional feedback? Would like a decent waterproof cover that is retractable....

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any updates to their cover. I've heard gripes about water leakage and rattling. Anyone have additional feedback? Would like a decent waterproof cover that is retractable....
I had it on my 2019 and my 2021. Best cover on the market by far. ZERO rattles and only leaked where the tailgate is like 100% of all other covers based on the tailgates design. You can seal it up with rubber gaskets that you can buy on Amazon. If anyone says it rattles, they did not install it properly. Highly recommend!

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Like securityguy, I’ve had Retrax covers (both Pro XR) on my 2019 and 2021 Rams, and had no rattles at all. Minor water ingress near the tailgate, but that’s all. I’ve take my trucks on road trips through heavy rain, and my stuff stayed dry. Anything that I absolutely don’t want getting wet, I’ll put in plastic bins, but that’s just an extra precaution.

mark-e-mark

Reaction score
I had it on my 2019 and my 2021. Best cover on the market by far. ZERO rattles and only leaked where the tailgate is like 100% of all other covers based on the tailgates design. You can seal it up with rubber gaskets that you can buy on Amazon. If anyone says it rattles, they did not install it properly. Highly recommend!
Like securityguy, I’ve had Retrax covers (both Pro XR) on my 2019 and 2021 Rams, and had no rattles at all. Minor water ingress near the tailgate, but that’s all. I’ve take my trucks on road trips through heavy rain, and my stuff stayed dry. Anything that I absolutely don’t want getting wet, I’ll put in plastic bins, but that’s just an extra precaution.

Thanks for the follow up! Would you guys still go with the Aluminum over the Poly material? I don't plan on putting any material on the cover itself. I'm trying to justify the extra $$$.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
One more bump.
I'm about to commit to the purchase of a Retrax Pro XR because I want the secure cargo space without the height of a full topper.

I currently have a Roll N Lock on my Frontier with custom Yakima Hardtop Rails that I drilled and tapped directly into the outer part of the track. I've been very happy with the Roll N lock as far as function, security and water rejection. I wouldn't call it water-tight, but it's decent. I wanted to try the Retrax, I also like that it comes with the T-slot rails, so I'll be able to swap my Yakima racks over.

I'm going to go with the Aluminum, I take it the Pro is worth the upgrade?
How well does it reject water? I'm not expecting completely waterproof, but enough to keep suitcases dry when driving through a rainstorm.
Can anyone compare Retrax to Roll N lock?
How is the quality after several years? Still Slide/retract well? Lock well? Reject water well? Still looks good?

Thanks.

nAQaNJZ.jpg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
As stated previously...LOVED my Retrax Pro and never had any significant water intrusion...nothing is water tight! Personally, I had a Roll-n-lock in the past and the Retrax blows it away. I also like the more flush mounted look of the Retrax. Far better quality and rolling mechanism IMPO.
ram.jpg
Ram2.jpg

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I echo what @securityguy said: my Retrax Pro XRs have been excellent. I had two of them: first for a 5’7” bed, now 6’4”.

There is another option I’d consider if I were buying today: the EGR Rolltrac. It only comes in electric, and it’s significantly more expensive than the manual Retrax ($2,800, plus they recommend professional installation, and that’s the only way to have the warranty honored). Fortunately for me and my wallet, they only make it for the short bed.

But an electric cover is an extravagance; the manual Retrax is still very easy to use.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll be ordering today. I really haven't used my bed because it rains every day.

Users who are viewing this thread