5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resonator delete only?

EXQQQME

Reaction score
I did the muffler delete and left the resonators on. The droning noise was pretty bad so I wrapped the pipes with fiberglass header wrap to help with that. I just cant imagine that removing the resonators would cause that much droning noise since they are so far back, but maybe so. I'll try to upload a video of the sound of the exhaust after I deleted the muffler. Then I'll upload a couple photos of the wrapped pipe.

EXQQQME

Reaction score
I did the muffler delete and left the resonators on. The droning noise was pretty bad so I wrapped the pipes with fiberglass header wrap to help with that. I just cant imagine that removing the resonators would cause that much droning noise since they are so far back, but maybe so. I'll try to upload a video of the sound of the exhaust after I deleted the muffler. Then I'll upload a couple photos of the wrapped pipe.
Photos of the wrapped pipe

Attachments

• 20190729_164419.jpg
    20190729_164419.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 271
  • 20190729_164354.jpg
    20190729_164354.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 263

Scjon03

Reaction score
I have Flow Masters Super 44 installed and just got the resonators removed. It sounds sooooooo much better and yes louder too. The drone isnt bad at all. I left the resonators on when I first got the exhaust installed and the resonators had this "slapping/flapping/clapping" type of sound. It was horrible.

Marky Mark

Reaction score
I actually did both Muffler and Resonator delete and it sounds BAD ***....Heres a video:

Thanks for this video! I did the muffler delete and was like okkkkk but no! I am for sure going to do this in the next few days!

BGaero

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the resonator on a ‘19 2500 with something different than stock? That thing is huge and in the way. I’m not looking for a sound as I like quiet but that monster has to go even if I have to delete it altogether.

JMEEKS

Reaction score
I have Flow Masters Super 44 installed and just got the resonators removed. It sounds sooooooo much better and yes louder too. The drone isnt bad at all. I left the resonators on when I first got the exhaust installed and the resonators had this "slapping/flapping/clapping" type of sound. It was horrible.
Scjon03 I read your post regarding resonators removed. I too have the Super 44 installed but I am completely on the fence with the resonator removal. You mentioned drone isn't bad. On a 1-10 scale how much would you say the drone increased?

dlrsavannah

Reaction score
I just did a muffler delete this past Saturday and it sounds great. I was considering doing the same with the resonators but I don’t want to hear any constant drone. I’ll try plugging the weep holes to see the difference but I’m happy with it now.

HemiDad_20

Reaction score
I can confirm these trucks do great keeping sound outside of the truck. A muffler swap didn’t do much for me until I deleted the resonators. Went from a Super 40 to the Carven TR with resonator delete. My wife could tell the difference but doesn’t bother her at all. We all know women will voice an opinion lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoustonRam504

Reaction score
I can confirm these trucks do great keeping sound outside of the truck. A muffler swap didn’t do much for me until I deleted the resonators. Went from a Super 40 to the Carven TR with resonator delete. My wife could tell the difference but doesn’t bother her at all. We all know women will voice an opinion lol.

Hey man I’m new here. When you did muffler delete did you delete resonators too? If so I’m seeing some people the trucks have 2 and others say 3 I have a 20 Rebel but only see 2 resonators. I did the muffler delete but not impressed with the sound at ALL. Any recommendations

HemiDad_20

Reaction score
Hey man I’m new here. When you did muffler delete did you delete resonators too? If so I’m seeing some people the trucks have 2 and others say 3 I have a 20 Rebel but only see 2 resonators. I did the muffler delete but not impressed with the sound at ALL. Any recommendations

I didn’t do a muffler delete I installed a Carven TR and deleted the resonators. Difference is a bit more sound but my wife couldn’t tell any difference lol. I’m very happy now. My 2020 only has 2 resonators in the back which were removed. Here are 2 links of my cold starts with and without resonators Carven TR muffler swap.

With resonators

Without resonators

TristanS

Reaction score
I didn’t do a muffler delete I installed a Carven TR and deleted the resonators. Difference is a bit more sound but my wife couldn’t tell any difference lol. I’m very happy now. My 2020 only has 2 resonators in the back which were removed. Here are 2 links of my cold starts with and without resonators Carven TR muffler swap.

With resonators

Without resonators

I was looking at the Carven TR as well. Since you've already have pretty much the same setup I'm looking at, I have two questions

1) How was the TR with the resonators left on (is there a noticeable difference between stock and muffler swap alone?)

2) with the muffler swap AND the resonator delete, how's the drone? and how much louder is it.

Basically, I just want something that is deeper in tone, slightly louder but since I work in a hospital and leave at weird times (ex. 4:00 am), I don't wanna **** my neighbours off lol.

HemiDad_20

Reaction score
I was looking at the Carven TR as well. Since you've already have pretty much the same setup I'm looking at, I have two questions

1) How was the TR with the resonators left on (is there a noticeable difference between stock and muffler swap alone?)

2) with the muffler swap AND the resonator delete, how's the drone? and how much louder is it.

Basically, I just want something that is deeper in tone, slightly louder but since I work in a hospital and leave at weird times (ex. 4:00 am), I don't wanna **** my neighbours off lol.

1. TR with resonators left on is a bump up from stock. Slightly deeper and more sound. Plug the weep holes and it sounds good.

2. I’d say not much louder in the cab. The MDS drone is only slightly louder. The drone is tolerable.

Day 1 I did just the muffler shop and drove it for a few hours. Day 2 I wanted more, removed the resonators which cleaned up a lot of the sound. My wife didn’t notice any difference. She doesn’t like loud cars/trucks. I had a 2020 Charger RT with modded exhaust as well which she never liked to ride in lol. Just try both out man is all I can say.

JLaw297

Reaction score
Looping back around toward the original posters question.. will a resonator delete with stock muffler get rid of the crackly sound when driving around normally? Sounds like someone is rubbing a mint wrapper between their fingers then after 4k rpm it sounds good.

HemiDad_20

Reaction score
Looping back around toward the original posters question.. will a resonator delete with stock muffler get rid of the crackly sound when driving around normally? Sounds like someone is rubbing a mint wrapper between their fingers then after 4k rpm it sounds good.

Yup... plugging them with electrical tape or JB weld if you want to test it first

dc51786

Reaction score
FWIW I originally had this idea too but couldn't really find any good info. So I just had a 14" maganaflow welded in and plugged the resonator weep holes and I'm completely happy. Costed $150 for everything.
Any sound clips? Might copy your setup!

Users who are viewing this thread