5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resonator delete only?

boltbarge

Reaction score
FWIW I originally had this idea too but couldn't really find any good info. So I just had a 14" maganaflow welded in and plugged the resonator weep holes and I'm completely happy. Costed $150 for everything.
Do you have any videos of the flowmaster muffler with plugged weep holes?

j517

Reaction score
Nice sounds good.

I like ur steering wheel cover I have the same 1

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
I actually did both Muffler and Resonator delete and it sounds BAD ***....Heres a video:

Did you have just the muffler delete before also deleting the resonators? If so, was there a big difference in volume between the 2? In the video it doesn't sound a ton louder than mine with just the muffler gone, just sounds a bit more aggressive, which is what I want.

Pshep

Reaction score

I found this video on YouTube where they delete the resonator and leave in the stock muffler. - Enjoy

dragon285

Reaction score
Did you have just the muffler delete before also deleting the resonators? If so, was there a big difference in volume between the 2? In the video it doesn't sound a ton louder than mine with just the muffler gone, just sounds a bit more aggressive, which is what I want.

There was a difference to me, I mean i was already set to take out the resonators anyway because of so many posts of people saying that the resonators whistled, and prevented it from going louder. AWD all i can tell you is that the video doesn't do the sound any justice. I think the only way you can truly tell is if you turn up your volume on your PC to appreciate what my phone tried to capture in sound when i mad that recording. I say go for it, you will definitely be thanking me. GOOD LUCK

dragon285

Reaction score
^^^^Rear resonators look to be still on both clips

That's not a 2019 ram either. I've heard that the 4th gen Rams have a more aggressive sound to begin with. All i know is that my 2019 sounds like that with the muffler and resonator delete.

dragon285

Reaction score

I found this video on YouTube where they delete the resonator and leave in the stock muffler. - Enjoy

That's not a 2019 ram either. I've heard that the 4th gen Rams have a more aggressive sound to begin with. All i know is that my 2019 sounds like that with the muffler and resonator delete.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s my bad, I was quick to respond and then reliazed that wasn’t a ‘19 by looking at the rear resonators(y)
Yes, more aggressive for sure as 4th gens have duals running direct out of muffler.

Rebel Ion

Reaction score
I installed the direct fit flowmaster outlaw on mine. Muffler sounds great but I cant stand the "puffing" noise from the weep holes on rear resonators. I am going to try and fill them to see if that helps but may just delete them?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your best bet is to have a muffler shop install a Flowmaster, Magnaflow, etc. muffler to replace the giant sound insulating stock one. That will make the most difference.

You then have 3 resonators to play with the sound. One in front of the muffler and the two at the end. However, as mentioned, most people keep those resonators to avoid highway drone.

I went with a custom installed Flowmaster Outlaw, kept all the resonators in place, cost me $270 out the door and sounds great. Burly and mean around town, but no drone on the highway.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
B2 fabrication kit all the way. Your choice of muffler or straight pipe to replace the stock muffler. It's DIY in about 30-45 minutes. Magnaflow is just right.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lohman124

Reaction score
^^^ good real world info. Curious on what the truck really sounded like with out them and stock muffler.
What kind of flowmaster was he quoting for that price?
Just installed the flowmaster delete kit today. Sounds exactly the same with a stock muffler. However should make a big difference with an aftermarket muffler. Have a Carven on order. Will post a clip when it's on

Sandhu

Reaction score
I installed a flowmaster super 10 muffler on my 19 rebel. Im looking to make it louder. if i delete the resonators, would it make a difference?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I installed a flowmaster super 10 muffler on my 19 rebel. Im looking to make it louder. if i delete the resonators, would it make a difference?

Yes, but you may get a drone as well.

Typically you want the muffler replacement to be louder and keep the resonators to prevent drone. I recommend you go with a Flowmaster Outlaw instead. They are $95 just for the muffler, shouldn't cost you too much to cut out the Super 10 and replace it.

The cost to remove the resonators will be cheaper of course, but not that much more. Factor in probably the drone and it may not be worth the effort.

Rustin5

Reaction score
Just installed the flowmaster delete kit today. Sounds exactly the same with a stock muffler. However should make a big difference with an aftermarket muffler. Have a Carven on order. Will post a clip when it's on
How’s the drone with just the resonator delete?

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Yes, but you may get a drone as well.

Typically you want the muffler replacement to be louder and keep the resonators to prevent drone. I recommend you go with a Flowmaster Outlaw instead. They are $95 just for the muffler, shouldn't cost you too much to cut out the Super 10 and replace it.

The cost to remove the resonators will be cheaper of course, but not that much more. Factor in probably the drone and it may not be worth the effort.
I recall someone using J-B Weld to plug the weep holes to see if that helped give it a little more growl without the drone yet still allowed to drill back out if they didn't like it. Anyone actually do that, and if so, what's your opinion on doing that?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I recall someone using J-B Weld to plug the weep holes to see if that helped give it a little more growl without the drone yet still allowed to drill back out if they didn't like it. Anyone actually do that, and if so, what's your opinion on doing that?

The weep holes usually won't help magnify the sound, they just take away the "airy" sound at idle. You can plug them up, you won't hear the air rushing out of the holes, but you will reduce the service life of the resonator since it's more likely to rust internally now. There are also weep holes on the exhaust tips as well.

Users who are viewing this thread