5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RESOLVED -------2019 Ram 1500 12k miles, Mandatory UConnect Update-12" screen dead----RESOLVED

Jrex

Reaction score
Watch out for Unconnect Mandatory Update.

About 4 months ago, got a UConnect update notification, I postponed it.

This Tuesday got a Uconnect Mandatory update notification, that in a half hour the Uconnect system will be updated will mandatory updated in 30 minutes, with only option to change time. I changed to 60 minutes later.

Notification said to park the truck and leave it powered off for an hour, while update is concurring. Did not drive the truck, the rest of the day.

Next morning went out to move truck and 12" Uconnect screen is dead. side buttons worked but nothing on screen. Called Uconnect and opened case, they told me to take it to a dealer.

Made appointment, tech verified the entire 12" uconnect system has to be replaced. So from Wednesday thru Friday the dealer has been playing Hide and seek phone tag with STAR (Chrysler), as dealer can not directly order the 12" unit replacements directly. Talk about wasteful red tape, leaving customers without vehicles.

Its sad, its a really nice truck, but the customer services and delay in repairs, its gone as soon as its fixed.

The saddest thing about the entire sob story, is the Chrysler Case manager confirmed the parts are available, but because the dealer and STAR incompetence and broken red tape processes, been 4 days and the unit is still not ordered yet.

Last edited:

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Wow that sucks man! I really hope they will make it up for you!
Try reaching out to @RamCares , they will help you escalate the case to a higher level...

Jrex

Reaction score
Appreciate feedback.

RamCares, is that the Mopar.com site? or what is URL link?

thanks

Jrex

Reaction score
Ah, got it, there on the site. Good to know.

I opened a customer care complaint here also.

which you can get to from mopar.com/contact us/email us.

I called Uconnect right away and they opened a case and a Chrysler case manager contacted within a half a day. These people have been great. But the case magager is claiming he cant do anything until the dealer and STAR get on same page, which has not happened for 3 days.

The malfunction is between the dealer and STAR. Supposedly the dealer cant directly order a replacement for the Uconnect 12" unit without STAR getting certain info off the broken part and STAR's audio department approving the replacement.

I am lucky enough I can drive my son's car, as he does not start school until 8/31/2020. But I could not imagine if the truck was my only car and needed a truck for work and they cant get a part that in stock ordered for 3 business days and they are going to offer you a rental of chevy malibu. Its not very good customer service. I take the Infiniti QX80 in for oil change and tire rotation, they are givng the same loaner to go drive to stores, while maintenance is done.

FCA has alot to learn about customer service.

Last edited:

Bram2019

Reaction score
What you need is the module, not the whole system. If your problem had happened a few weeks ago, the exchange module was not on restriction and could have been freely ordered. . That is not the case now. It is restricted by Star. But if the tech did his job correctly, Star should have released the module to the dealer so it could be ordered. But the problem does not end there. I think they are on back order.

Jrex

Reaction score
Yeah I figured it was the dealer side, the service advisor seemed completely clueless when I was talking to them about.

So the process changed, the dealer/service tech was not aware, then they played phone tag for 3 days. That the basic story I got from dealer and uconnect rep.

Supposedly there is now a ticket or case active in STAR systems for STAR audio to approve the new part required.

So hopefully Monday, I am sitting there like WTF! How hard is it to get a part, that has been confirmed available by Chrysler case manager.

thanks for input, really clarified why this is happening and helped.

Appreciate it.

Jrex

Reaction score
Yeah, its crazy, 4 business days and word yet when it will be resolved.

Is this normal to take this long to even get a part ordered.

Last edited:

Bram2019

Reaction score
Something is not right here. Usually what happens is the Star agent asks the tech to do some tests first while the vehicle is in the shop. Assuming the tech did what was asked by Star and since your screen is dead at this point as a result of an update, the Star agent should have authorized the module and either ordered it for the dealer or released it so the dealer could order it. Someone does not know what they are doing. My guess is the tech did not do what Star asked and now the Star agent is being a prick about it. The big problem here is this will tie up a tech for hours and if he is working flat rate, he won't want to do that. It is not your problem but you can see the issue here. Hope you get the help you need. If they jerk you around further, I would go to another dealer and not mention the previous attempt. If they ask ultimately, you can tell them what happened.

Jrex

Reaction score
how do you end this dis-functionalism with dealer tech and STAR? I call uconnect/chrysler, have case # and case manager, he claims he cant do anything until the part is ordered. The dealer claims the part cant be ordered by them, there is a STAR ticket/incident/case open and STAR Audio group noted the module needs to be replaced, per STAR notes in case, read by Unconnect rep on phone, but nothing approved, no order number....etc. no date of when part will arrive.

Is there anyone else to escalate to?

If not, I will give it until end of Wednesday, thats a full week the dealer has had the truck. Pick it up and take to the dealership 45 minutes south of here, who has a 4.6 star rating compared to the 3.3 star rating, the current dealer I am using has.

Bram2019

Reaction score
If Star says the module needs to be replaced, Why is it not ordered. I can tell you exchange modules are on back order. New units are available but cost 3 times as much. I do not know what Star wants to authorize. They may be waiting for the exchange units to come off of back order. The dealer is correct. He can not order the part. Star does this. It would be better if someone from FCA was more transparent with you. Thats about all I got. Sorry.

Jrex

Reaction score
on window sticker cost is:
Uconnect® 4C NAV with 12–Inch Display $1,295.00

What is the cost of new replacement module vs cost of exchange module?

Myvibeworks

Reaction score

Let me know what happens, my xm locks up after the update and they tried to reflash the software didn't help

Chuck Thomas

Reaction score
my 2020 ram limited with 12" display intermittently after starting the vehicle, hit the left screen button audio and sirus has the message says loading and it never loads also phone calls happen but you cant hear the caller nor they hear you. climate works, nav works, just audio and sirus dont work. its very intermittent and not all the time however i think it happens when it is very hot inside the cab

thoughts?

Myvibeworks

Reaction score
my 2020 ram limited with 12" display intermittently after starting the vehicle, hit the left screen button audio and sirus has the message says loading and it never loads also phone calls happen but you cant hear the caller nor they hear you. climate works, nav works, just audio and sirus dont work. its very intermittent and not all the time however i think it happens when it is very hot inside the cab

thoughts?
Same thing with mine! I thought the same thing about the heat, but kept my car in a nice cool spot and it was 3am and same thing, locks up! Very pissed

DakotaRam

Reaction score

68317978AH I believe is the module part number

Jrex

Reaction score
So after almost 2 weeks, I gave up, went and got the truck and told the dealer to call when new module comes in. That was Friday 8/28.

What I was going to do, is go to 2 other dealers and get unsuccessful repair attempts. In Florida, after 3 unsuccessful repair attempts, you can lemon law the auto/truck. Chrysler gets one last attempt to fix it by a certain date, other wise you get full purchase prices back + any purchased upgrades minus so much a mile. I had to lemon law a viper that kept overheating and engine eventually blew up. But everyone kept saying nothing was wrong, other that warp cylinder head leaking exhaust into coolant, causing the engine to over when driving hard.

Anyways, Monday 8/31, dealer calls around lunch and says STAR wants the truck back at the dealer, no explanation. Today, Tuesday 9/1, at 2pm, got email invoice and voicemail saying it was fixed.

Here are the notes from the receipt:

CUSTOMER STATES UCONNECT MANDATORY UPDATE HAPPENED ,ON ITS OWN. NOW RADIO WILL NOT COME ON. CHECK AND ADVISE (General Concern 1).
Cause: verified concern THE RADIO IS OFFLINE, I TRY AN UPDATE, WOULD NOT ON RESET. UNIT IS DEAD/UNRESPONSIVE.

UNPLUGED THE RADIO, NO CHANGE . THEN TRY A DIFFERENT REPLACEMENT RADIO, THAT DOES NOT FIX THE ISSUE .

NEXT REPLUG, THE ORIGINAL RADIO, IT COMES ON AND IS WORKING NOW. THE SOFTWARE IS AT 34.1
Correction: NO PROBLEM FOUND . 85-41-69-01 .5

Translation, Tech tried to hard reset on original radio in truck and a power disconnect/reconnect within short period of time.. STAR had sent a replacement module and it did not fix the problem, when the tech reconnected the original radio that had been disconnected from power for a long period of time (probably giving up), it magically worked again and software was updated to version 34.1.

If mine is any indication of other issues or glitches, just un-connect both your positive and negative battery cables overnight and then reconnect them in the morning and see if your issues are resolved. That's all that seems to have happened with mine, and its working perfectly again, except I lost all my presets and Bluetooth setting.

Good Luck,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread