5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Report a member...keeping for the lessons learned.

Mbasile24

Reaction score
Just popping into to confirm that the person who OP is talking to is not me. To my knowledge this person hasn’t used my account at all, just claimed to have my username from an email address that I do not know.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hate it for the OP.

I've bought and sold stuff on truck and car forums for years and never had a problem. What I do:

1. Contact the person directly through the forum. If someone on here advertises they have a bumper for sale, I send them a PM and make first contact that way.

2. Once I've made contact with the person - I can see the same person advertising has PM'd me back - I ask for a direct cell phone number, which I will then text and have some conversation with them to be sure the number is real and related to the sale. I also get a real name and address.

3. I send money only using some kind of credit card so it can be disputed for fraud if necessary. Paypal, Stripe, Square, something like that. If they don't have any kind of electronic payment portal that takes credit card, then no dice. If I have to pay the CC fee so be it.

4. I call them and speak to a real live person before sending the money. You can pretty quick figure out if something's legit or not that way.

To date, I've never actually been scammed. I've bought a part or two that wasn't quite what was represented, but always got something back for my money. On balance it's worked out pretty well - most people are honest and if you just take some basic precautions your chances of being scammed goes way, way down.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a better edit to the OPs first post:

"I started this thread because I thought I had an issue with a forum member when I tried to buy some wheels from him.

A third party got in between the two of us and tried to scam me.

For the record, Mbasile24 is a forum member in good standing and I apologize for mistakenly thinking he was involved in anything less than honorable.

What happened was this: Mbasile24 and I pm'ed about my purchasing his wheels. Then, I received an email...that I thought was from Mbasile24, but was NOT him.

I got scammed by whoever this emailer was. Thinking I was emailing Mbasile24 (when I really was not) is what led to this thread.

Again, Mbasile24 is a standup member of the forum."

^^^
Something like that will make it MUCH clearer to anyone who trips into this thread...

gmantwo

Reaction score
Here's a better edit to the OPs first post:

"I started this thread because I thought I had an issue with a forum member when I tried to buy some wheels from him.

A third party got in between the two of us and tried to scam me.

For the record, Mbasile24 is a forum member in good standing and I apologize for mistakenly thinking he was involved in anything less than honorable.

What happened was this: Mbasile24 and I pm'ed about my purchasing his wheels. Then, I received an email...that I thought was from Mbasile24, but was NOT him.

I got scammed by whoever this emailer was. Thinking I was emailing Mbasile24 (when I really was not) is what led to this thread.

Again, Mbasile24 is a standup member of the forum."

^^^
Something like that will make it MUCH clearer to anyone who trips into this thread...
Edited to reflect bumper, and done. Thanks

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll add a couple comments, I can think of quickly.

1. We've seen accounts get hacked on various forums, use a complex password
  2. We've seen scam accounts established for some time and with fake transactions with other scam accounts to build false trust
  3. Stop posting your email address in public forums
  4. Stop putting your Phone number, VIN, etc. on public forums
  5. Use the forum PM only at least until you establish trust
  6. Don't respond to first touch PM's asking to contact via email
  7. Use a protected payment option

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've purchased a lot of things on forums, but I won't do business with a new member. They need to have an established history for me to trust them. Tayediggs5087 has only been a member for one week and has one post...that would be a big red flag for me.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've purchased a lot of things on forums, but I won't do business with a new member. They need to have an established history for me to trust them. Tayediggs5087 has only been a member for one week and has one post...that would be a big red flag for me.
Good point, I forgot that one. Doing business with someone established is a great way to protect yourself.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That username is a red flag too. 😄

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
30 more seconds with google and there's this:

another account created Gzebe63 - asking to email tayediggs5087 @ gmail.com - which is listed as SPAM from IP Address 69.174.103.218

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread