5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing my TOW mirrors with Power Folding - 10% Cyber Monday

dil

Reaction score
I've been following this thread and have been feverishly looking for a solution to get the SurroundView system post-factory. I have a Ram 1500 Limited with the Level 1 technology package and (unfortunately) tow package.

Have elevated this to FCA as I have some contacts within the organization and currently talking to the Operations Manager. The Sterling Heights (where new Ram platform is built) plant manager wasn't able to help. Will keep you all posted.

Other options are to request it from Infotainment. I've filled out the below and if enough people do it maybe they'll put together a package.

Otherwise I'm loving my new truck (with some modifications): IMG_2665.jpg

gbp12

Reaction score
This may be a long shot but...I've been looking for a VIN to give to the dealership to get standard mirrors to replace the tow mirrors. If anyone has a VIN with for the following, it would be greatly appreciated.

Power folding
Color match for Delmonico Red
Heated
Blind Spot
LED puddle light (not sure if this is standard on all mirrors)

I think that is all I need for it, thanks.

awpratt79

Reaction score
really hate the fact that the power folding tow mirror option is no longer available, had it on my 2017 and now the new 2020 can't have it.

ryanJ

Reaction score
Bought some electric folding mirrors off of eBay, replaced the modules and switch. Using the tazer to activate them. It works about half the time, the right mirror sometimes starts significantly slower that the driver mirror and about half the time it fully opens but the motor continues to turn and it makes a slight jolt and clicking noise.
Drivers side mirror has done it only once Since I installed two days ago.
wondering if anyone has any thoughts

Xoexpireu

Reaction score
Bought some electric folding mirrors off of eBay, replaced the modules and switch. Using the tazer to activate them. It works about half the time, the right mirror sometimes starts significantly slower that the driver mirror and about half the time it fully opens but the motor continues to turn and it makes a slight jolt and clicking noise.
Drivers side mirror has done it only once Since I installed two days ago.
wondering if anyone has any thoughts
Did u ever find a resolution to this problem I have same problem but both mirrors do it everything I read this far is it's a bad mirror needs to be replaced.

awpratt79

Reaction score
So does this mean they'll never be able to do a power folding tow mirror kit? I'd really like to keep my tow mirrors, but hate that they're not power folding.
Yeah really not sure why they changed this feature I had the tow mirrors with power fold/heated/turn signal and puddle lights on my 4th Gen and love that feature but alas the New 2020 cannot have this on the tow mirror I tow a 30' travel trailer so the tow mirrors are really a must

GreenvilleRam311

Reaction score
I'd be willing to trade my power folding "Sport" mirrors for Tow Mirrors. Off a Black 2020 Built to Serve Ram 1500

kjn86

Reaction score
I'd be willing to trade my power folding "Sport" mirrors for Tow Mirrors. Off a Black 2020 Built to Serve Ram 1500

Don't do it. If anything buy some used tow mirrors and keep the factory ones. You can find a ton of used tow mirrors for barely nothing.

awpratt79

Reaction score
Not sure how true this info is but on a 4th Gen Ram trucks site I had another poster tell me the 2021's are getting power folding tow mirrors. supposedly once FCA makes the parts available we'll be able to upgrade to those too. If that is indeed true maybe my ordered truck I'm still waiting for might get built with them already.

revolutionz

Reaction score
That would be outstanding.

Not sure how true this info is but on a 4th Gen Ram trucks site I had another poster tell me the 2021's are getting power folding tow mirrors. supposedly once FCA makes the parts available we'll be able to upgrade to those too. If that is indeed true maybe my ordered truck I'm still waiting for might get built with them already.

MPJ

Reaction score
After looking at the 2018 4th gen power folding tow mirrors it is clear the base mounting is different from the 5th gen 19-20. However the arm & mirror look the same and have the same measurements. Has anyone looked at taking these apart and swapping the mounting bases and motor mech?

LoLo

Reaction score

I’m looking to trade my tow mirrors for power folding mirrors if you’re still interested. Sending you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

navynate88

Reaction score
Just joined today and went through this entire thread (great read by the way) and have a few questions. I bought a 2019 Ram Longhorn and it unfortunately has these dreaded tow mirrors. I just went on the RAM site to build out a '21 and they do now officially offer the POWER FOLDING tow mirrors which also have 360 capability (both features deleted from the truck I bought due to tow package IAW window sticker). Here is my question: has anyone been to a dealer to ask if it is possible to change out these power fold and 360 camera capable mirrors with the ones on the '19?

Also, in-case the previous question falls through - any updates from those that used the Infotainment option? Priced at $1799 right now for their set and would definitely need to make sure it is worth it.

Crazy part is I still haven't even seen my truck in person since my wife bought it for me while I am gone. But the first thing she mentioned was the mirrors.... Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

kevinssaco

Reaction score
Good to know about '21 bringing the power folding mirror back to the 1500! I'll probably try to trade in my stupid 5 year 15k mi/yr lease with the awful manual fold tow mirrors when I'm less upside down in another year or so, on the break even point. Love RAM trucks now! I just need to build it the way I want one. Larame Level 2, 5.7, 3.92, Double Cab, 6' bed, Factory Level Lift, Blacked Out, Off Road, W/heated, power folding tow mirrors!

navynate88

Reaction score
I wonder if we can take the 21 power folding tow mirrors and swap them with the non-power folding mirrors??

Rau

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I really hope to get rid of "Power Trailer–Tow Mirrors with Manual Fold–Away" on the truck I am buying this week. I don't know what Power means, I hope it means Power Heated.
I am not worried about power folding, I just hate the way they show the sides, but I want to have heated option.
Can anyone please recommend what mirrors I should get and if I need an additional equipment like modules? I saw bunch of mirrors available on eBay, I just don't know if they will support heating.

1602606560236.png

kevinssaco

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I really hope to get rid of "Power Trailer–Tow Mirrors with Manual Fold–Away" on the truck I am buying this week. I don't know what Power means, I hope it means Power Heated.
I am not worried about power folding, I just hate the way they show the sides, but I want to have heated option.
Can anyone please recommend what mirrors I should get and if I need an additional equipment like modules? I saw bunch of mirrors available on eBay, I just don't know if they will support heating.

View attachment 71623
Those are not the mirrors you want if you want heated. You want the non-towing power heated mirrors. I they had the same power folding mirrors as the 3/4 ton does we'd be all set and could just leave them in "Moose antler mode" and power fold them in for parking lots. You can buy aftermarket for about a grand that are heated and towing I believe. Somewhere in this chain.

Rau

Reaction score
Those are not the mirrors you want if you want heated. You want the non-towing power heated mirrors. I they had the same power folding mirrors as the 3/4 ton does we'd be all set and could just leave them in "Moose antler mode" and power fold them in for parking lots. You can buy aftermarket for about a grand that are heated and towing I believe. Somewhere in this chain.
The mirrors in the attachment were actual mirrors that I have on my truck now.

yaksushi

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

View attachment 71623
You have the same ones as me. Unfortantaly I missed the "manual fold-away" and read the power fold further to the right on my sticker. I don't think anyone has found a "all in one" solution yet. I'm looking for my current mirrors to power fold. I like the tow mirrors just hate having to manually fold them.

Attachments

• window.jpg
    window.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 22

Users who are viewing this thread