5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing my TOW mirrors with Power Folding - 10% Cyber Monday

bourgeois

Reaction score
Just joined today and went through this entire thread (great read by the way) and have a few questions. I bought a 2019 Ram Longhorn and it unfortunately has these dreaded tow mirrors. I just went on the RAM site to build out a '21 and they do now officially offer the POWER FOLDING tow mirrors which also have 360 capability (both features deleted from the truck I bought due to tow package IAW window sticker). Here is my question: has anyone been to a dealer to ask if it is possible to change out these power fold and 360 camera capable mirrors with the ones on the '19?

Also, in-case the previous question falls through - any updates from those that used the Infotainment option? Priced at $1799 right now for their set and would definitely need to make sure it is worth it.

Crazy part is I still haven't even seen my truck in person since my wife bought it for me while I am gone. But the first thing she mentioned was the mirrors.... Thanks in advance!
I am in the same boat you are. Hopefully we can just swap out the mirrors with a 2021 and it works!!!

Rau

Reaction score
I installed the driver side mirror and everything seems to be working ok. Only problem I have now is the door panel doesn’t sit tight back. It didn’t click when I pressed lower part and now it it is a bit loose. Should I have replaced plastic holders or they should go back to its original holes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I really hope to get rid of "Power Trailer–Tow Mirrors with Manual Fold–Away" on the truck I am buying this week. I don't know what Power means, I hope it means Power Heated.
I am not worried about power folding, I just hate the way they show the sides, but I want to have heated option.
Can anyone please recommend what mirrors I should get and if I need an additional equipment like modules? I saw bunch of mirrors available on eBay, I just don't know if they will support heating.

View attachment 71623
The "Power" in that is referring to adjusting the larger mirror part (up down left right) although I am not sure if those mirrors are heated.

Reactions: Rau

Rau

Reaction score
The "Power" in that is referring to adjusting the larger mirror part (up down left right) although I am not sure if those mirrors are heated.

Thank you for clarification! It makes sense why they call it power mirrors now.
I can confirm that my tow mirrors are heated.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 with the power folding regular mirrors. I'm hoping to upgrade to power folding tow mirrors off a 21 when they become available online. I saw a couple posts about this but im not sure if any of those trucks had the regular power folding mirrors (like me) or if they were the manual fold tow mirrors.

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
I installed the driver side mirror and everything seems to be working ok. Only problem I have now is the door panel doesn’t sit tight back. It didn’t click when I pressed lower part and now it it is a bit loose. Should I have replaced plastic holders or they should go back to its original holes?

You do not need to replace the clips unless you broke any of them. It should go back to the way it was. Maybe there is a clip or two that did not get snapped back into the door panel. May want to check them all.

Joe.Findley

Reaction score
I have a 2020 with the power folding regular mirrors. I'm hoping to upgrade to power folding tow mirrors off a 21 when they become available online. I saw a couple posts about this but im not sure if any of those trucks had the regular power folding mirrors (like me) or if they were the manual fold tow mirrors.
I am looking to do the same, except, I ordered a 2021 Big Horn with regular Power Folding. The Trailer-Tow Power Folding Mirror is only an option if you order the Laramie or higher. So, I am looking to see if the I can order Mopar or after market to replace my regular with Trailer-Tow Power Folding Mirror (Power adjust, Heated, etc). If any know if this is possible and/or a part number, please reply.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Took me a while to work up the gumption to spend the $$ on the mirrors from Infotainment, but I got them yesterday and installed today.

Despite some less than optimal temps for working with plastics (~40’s), I was able to get them installed pretty quickly. Getting the plugs back OUT of the bypass module probably took me the longest. 15-20 to get them unhooked.

The OBD update caused me to have a CEL too. Spent a little time with Infotainment tech support, and was told it would go away after an hour. It did not.. so back on with Infotainment, they send me two ways to reset the CEL. I run back outside to try them, and... CEL is gone.

Good enough, I suppose!

TLOC

Reaction score
Took me a while to work up the gumption to spend the $$ on the mirrors from Infotainment, but I got them yesterday and installed today.

Despite some less than optimal temps for working with plastics (~40’s), I was able to get them installed pretty quickly. Getting the plugs back OUT of the bypass module probably took me the longest. 15-20 to get them unhooked.

The OBD update caused me to have a CEL too. Spent a little time with Infotainment tech support, and was told it would go away after an hour. It did not.. so back on with Infotainment, they send me two ways to reset the CEL. I run back outside to try them, and... CEL is gone.

Nice, how do they function?
Good enough, I suppose!

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
They’re great! Very happy with them. Mostly bought for the heated-ness and auto-dimming driver side, but I’m sure folding will come in handy as well.

bourgeois

Reaction score
Great read. I haven't see anything mentioned about color matched Ivory white power fold mirrors. Would anyone have the part number for these?

Jasondeike

Reaction score
Once I found this thread and learned that I could upgrade to Power Folding Mirror option, I ended up going a different route than the infotainment mirrors. As I had the non-power fold tow mirrors, which I prefer, but wanted the power fold option.

I found these power fold towing mirrors on Boost Auto Parts

I just got the Door Modules, Door Switch, OBD Genie, and the Boost Auto Mirrors. They installed fairly easy, and programming was simple. Everything has worked so far (Minus Auto-Dim/Memory, as those options are not available with these mirrors), and I'll check back if anything ends up not working going forward.

Dodgeramfan

Reaction score
Once I found this thread and learned that I could upgrade to Power Folding Mirror option, I ended up going a different route than the infotainment mirrors. As I had the non-power fold tow mirrors, which I prefer, but wanted the power fold option.

I found these power fold towing mirrors on Boost Auto Parts

I just got the Door Modules, Door Switch, OBD Genie, and the Boost Auto Mirrors. They installed fairly easy, and programming was simple. Everything has worked so far (Minus Auto-Dim/Memory, as those options are not available with these mirrors), and I'll check back if anything ends up not working going forward.
I reached out to Boost and they told me the package in your link is not intended for a 1500 that had non-power fold mirrors installed from the factory. Did you buy the door modules and door switch separate from the Boost kit to make the kit work properly? If so, could you share links to those too? Thanks!

kd908070

Reaction score
Today, I plugged it the Bypass then put the car to RUN, plugged the ODB Genie, but there is no LED blinking & no power on the OBD Genie.
I have wait like 1 min after putting the car to RUN before plugging the ODB Genie.
Do you guy know what is the issue?
2019 RAM 1500 Laramie.
- Thanks.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today, I plugged it the Bypass then put the car to RUN, plugged the ODB Genie, but there is no LED blinking & no power on the OBD Genie.
I have wait like 1 min after putting the car to RUN before plugging the ODB Genie.
Do you guy know what is the issue?
2019 RAM 1500 Laramie.
- Thanks.
do the instructions say to wait to plug in the Genie? I would try plugging it in before turning the truck to run

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It might be a Bad Genie. I used one to program my brake controller from infotainment and they had to send me another one because the first one would not work.

kd908070

Reaction score
It might be a Bad Genie. I used one to program my brake controller from infotainment and they had to send me another one because the first one would not work.
I called Infotainment this morning and they said it could be a bad OBDGenie. They're going to ship me a new unit. Hopefully it would fix the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread