5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing 5" UConnect Head Unit

WorkingDad

Reaction score
I've been searching around here and vendor sites, sorry if I've missed an answer. I have a Kenwood DMX-906S head unit that I took out of my totaled '15 RAM 1500. I have the Maestro RR unit as well. I just. brought home a new '19 Tradesman last night and would like to replace the stock 5" UConnect head unit with the Kenwood (or any unit that has wireless CarPlay really). Is that possible? Crutchfield just says that there's no available units, but I figured that's because they may have not updated their compatibility lists.

TML_REBEL

Reaction score
From what I have been told that unit can only be replaced with a Mopar unit. Something to so with the Connect and security features. I am hoping that will change!

WorkingDad

Reaction score
Dang, that's quite the blow. Those units are hella expensive. I think my Kenwood unit was only $600-$700 and it has wireless CarPlay. There's not a workaround in the works, a Maestro or PAC Audio unit?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah i know haha... it's so expensive...
I don't think so, You can add an amp with PAC and stuff like that but not to change the head unit to a non-mopar one... You can get the 12" used, the bezel, screen and module for around $1200-1400 and then program it with AlphaOBD. INFOTAINMENT are expensive but with them, it's plug and play.

Walski

Reaction score
I replaced mine with a kenwood excelon 706s using the i data rr. I used the best kits dash kit from the 4th gen. The only thing you don’t retain at the moment is the factory back up cam and the USB ports. So I mounted a usb in the trim panel with my bass knob. A full depth head unit might give you issues, the 706s has a short chassis.

Attachments

• 4EAC2E1F-80EA-47A1-9365-62E6E32C2E81.jpeg
    4EAC2E1F-80EA-47A1-9365-62E6E32C2E81.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 81
  • A22A64DB-259A-4AD2-A90F-9DCD45EE77CE.jpeg
    A22A64DB-259A-4AD2-A90F-9DCD45EE77CE.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 82
  • FD49A740-7B78-468C-94A1-8C454DFAC8FD.png
    FD49A740-7B78-468C-94A1-8C454DFAC8FD.png
    236.6 KB · Views: 79

WorkingDad

Reaction score
Oh nice! So it is possible!? I I know what I’m doing this weekend.

Why doesn’t the camera connect? Also what iData settings did you use, did you just set it up as a ‘18 model?

Walski

Reaction score
Oh nice! So it is possible!? I I know what I’m doing this weekend.

Why doesn’t the camera connect? Also what iData settings did you use, did you just set it up as a ‘18 model?

Walski

Reaction score
I flashed it for the 2019. If you go to the website they have it listed. They do not make an intergration piece for the factory camera yet

WorkingDad

Reaction score
Update:
Worked great. I the radio/truck combo didn’t show any results on the site, but the desktop app had it. Ended up being able to use the short press on the call buttons for volume control and long press for phone.

Haven’t confirmed that rear camera doesn’t work, but I’m assuming that the red connector in the factory unit is the camera feed. If that’s the case, yea, that’s still dangling in the back.

Left the usb disconnected. My head unit “does not support USB hubs” and if I left it plugged in, for some reason the ports wouldn’t power up. With it disconnected they charge the phones just fine. I installed a dedicated USB port to the left of my traction control/ tow buttons.

Getting everything back in there was a chore. It’s a full size unit so it goes in a substantial amount more than the factory unit. I ended up trimming some of the plastic brackets back to get it all to fit.

Seems to work great though. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a camera adapter, or rig something else up. The unit has a standard RCA input, shouldn’t be too hard to figure out something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WorkingDad

Reaction score
Ordered a Fakra Z to RCA adapter, should be here this week. That should bring back the backup camera.

TML_REBEL

Reaction score
I am interested in seeing if you can get the camera up and running. Can you post a parts list?

WorkingDad

Reaction score

WorkingDad

Reaction score
Adapter came today. My head unit has a female RCA jack, and the adapter does as well. It’s kind of hard finding a male-male RCA adapter locally so ordered that for this weekend.

I did try a regular RCA cable between the two, but just get a black screen, same result I get when it’s not connected. I wonder if the long cable doesn’t carry the signal we’ll enough.

If the adapter doesn’t work I’ll have to do some further investigation.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Adapter came today. My head unit has a female RCA jack, and the adapter does as well. It’s kind of hard finding a male-male RCA adapter locally so ordered that for this weekend.

I did try a regular RCA cable between the two, but just get a black screen, same result I get when it’s not connected. I wonder if the long cable doesn’t carry the signal we’ll enough.

If the adapter doesn’t work I’ll have to do some further investigation.

The digital camera won’t work on the aftermarket radio RCA jack, since there’s nothing that camera input is doing to get power to the camera. You would have to run the camera through some type of video processor first. That’s why the maestro is not capable of supporting the new cameras. One thing you could do is use the camera from a 4th gen, and wire it up to the backup camera inputs on the big factory radio connector. Then you would need AlfaOBD to change the BCM configuration to recognize the analog camera.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s for a cab n chassis truck. Did your radio have something plugged into this red fakra connector? If so, you have a digital camera.
WDvpUjU.jpg

WorkingDad

Reaction score
Yea, exactly. Darn. I'll take apart the tailgate and see what I can tap into there then. You might be right on swapping out the camera, even if I have to run a new cable back to the head unit.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, exactly. Darn. I'll take apart the tailgate and see what I can tap into there then. You might be right on swapping out the camera, even if I have to run a new cable back to the head unit.
Here’s your camera and tailgate handle-
QMqU5PL.jpg
fJLmOs2.jpg

The easiest thing would be to find a regular aftermarket camera that you can fab into the handle, and run it through the aftermarket radio’s rca. The only thing you wouldn’t have anymore is the dynamic grid lines that curve.

WorkingDad

Reaction score
Perfect, thanks! That’s the way I’ll go then. That PDF from FCA has the measurements for the camera, just to need to find a match then.

Users who are viewing this thread