5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing the tailgate from 2020 RAM 1500

devmcc

Reaction score
I found another thread on this topic, but either I'm totally missing something or it's just shameful user error . . .

I do not have the "easy off" tailgate. I've removed the wiring brackets/harness, unclipped the cables, and I can easily lift off the right side of the tailgate, but the left side seems like it's permanently fixed (which doesn't make sense -- why would you be able to easily remove the right side if the left side can't be removed . . .). Does anyone have experience or a video to reference?

barrak

Reaction score
Video above doesn't show the left retaining ring (nor does the owner's manual). At 00:27, the right retaining ring is C-shaped, which allows lifting away from the bed shaft at a certain opened angle.

I could be wrong, but I think the left retaining ring is O-shaped which requires sliding the gate to the right until it clears the shaft.

devmcc

Reaction score
Did you "almost close" the tailgate before trying to slide it to the passenger side?

No, I did try sliding it to the right as shown, but perhaps the missing piece is the specific position the tailgate needs to be in. I'll give it a shot!

devmcc

Reaction score
Video above doesn't show the left retaining ring (nor does the owner's manual). At 00:27, the right retaining ring is C-shaped, which allows lifting away from the bed shaft at a certain opened angle.

I could be wrong, but I think the left retaining ring is O-shaped which requires sliding the gate to the right until it clears the shaft.
The left retaining ring is definitely closed/O-shaped -- I tried sliding it to the right, but per an earlier comment, the tailgate might need to be positioned differently in order for it to slide out.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The left retaining ring is definitely closed/O-shaped -- I tried sliding it to the right, but per an earlier comment, the tailgate might need to be positioned differently in order for it to slide out.
I have the MFT so mine is differnet, but on another truck once you slide it out of the right bracket I had to let it fold down to almost a 90 degree angle before removing it.
It comes right out to the right, it should be just passing the taillight when you pull it to the right maybe 6-12 inches before it's disconnected.

If you are close to a Carmax go there and test it on their trucks if you are worried about damaging something LOL.

barrak

Reaction score
Please let us know how it goes. I plan to temporarily remove it when I get the right size rubber stop to help prevent the tailgate from minutely shifting sideways during use. Seems to impeded my BakFlip bed cover operation when it shifts too far to the right.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I don’t remember removing my tailgate being that difficult. I had a harder time getting it back in correctly.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Once you have the gate at the right angle to pull the right side out, you just pull the gate straight to the right.

devmcc

Reaction score
Please let us know how it goes. I plan to temporarily remove it when I get the right size rubber stop to help prevent the tailgate from minutely shifting sideways during use. Seems to impeded my BakFlip bed cover operation when it shifts too far to the right.
Absolutely, will do

devmcc

Reaction score
Got it done -- just needed to pull the tailgate off to the right, just took a lot more force than I was expecting (I thought it'd just slide right out). Had it probably a 45 degree angle roughly.

Users who are viewing this thread