5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start on Rebel Ecodiesel

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine did it this morning. No remote start - one honk and no start. Get in and it started right up. Wouldn’t start from the app either. -16C. Going in for OC soon and I’ll have them look at it.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Its been -15 or colder here and I have had zero issues. I'd say whatever they flashed solved my issue.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Hey guys, update here. Since the module flash I've had no problems, and its been super cold here. -15deg C steady.

But, yesterday the remote start failed again... this time it did 2 honks then fail. This is new for me as previously its always just honked once.

Anyone else having success?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's good, I reached out to FCA Canada as the dealer is dragging their heels for my mirrors. One of the service advisors said they couldn't do anything with them so I contacted FCA Canada and within a week the service manager is helping me personally. Still not fixed but at least it is noted on my file and he is taking up his chain.
The old “squeaky wheel” saying...

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the horn honk turned off with remote start, but yes mine does the same thing.

On a normal remote start the horn and lights will flash to signal that the doors locked and then a second honk and flash will notify you that the truck has started.

When the remote start does not work the truck will only honk or flash the lights once then nothing happens.

Let say I leave for work at 7:30 and get to work for 7:45, at home the remote start did not work but after the short drive to work I shut the truck off and the remote start will work again. The issues only occur if it is below freezing and after the truck has sat for the night. I am leaning towards a weak battery, but if it tests fine at the dealer there isn’t much they can do till it fails completely and leaves me stranded in the bush.
thats the issue im having and took it to the dealer and couldnt find anything!

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
thats the issue im having and took it to the dealer and couldnt find anything!
Yeh mine was the same. They finally replaced the battery and it hasn't failed a start yet. That said, I still think its a program issue.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They couldn’t replicate my issue either lol. Go figure. Going to try another dealer north of my which I’ve been reading is MUCH better service wise

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck failed to remote start both before work at -8 and after work at -2. Going to have the dealer check it out again when I get my oil changed this week. Also have a clunk on the front passenger side (either sway bar or ball joints) and a rattle in the back passenger side of the cab on certain bumps and bass notes. (Sounds to me like the techs dropped a screwdriver or something back there when fixing my roof leak)

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeh mine was the same. They finally replaced the battery and it hasn't failed a start yet. That said, I still think its a program issue.
you know i think your right....the battery?..ehh.i think like you said its the "Program"needs addressing!

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
They couldn’t replicate my issue either lol. Go figure. Going to try another dealer north of my which I’ve been reading is MUCH better service wise

They don't need to replicate. The BCM stores a log for the failure. They can read it when they plug into it. I went through this exact same pain with my dealer. They finally agreed to plug it and found it failing for low battery voltage.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They don't need to replicate. The BCM stores a log for the failure. They can read it when they plug into it. I went through this exact same pain with my dealer. They finally agreed to plug it and found it failing for low battery voltage.
thanks for the tip.that is the same lame excuse they give me"cant replicate"didnt know that the "BCM"stored that info.gives me more amount to fight with...thanks (y)

ecodieselutah

Reaction score
An updated to the software seemed to fix it.
Any idea what "software update" I need to ask for?
Has anyone tried seen if the cold weather kit helps with this? Does heating the block somehow require less battery to kick over?

Or is this purely just software update and new battery?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone tried seen if the cold weather kit helps with this? Does heating the block somehow require less battery to kick over?

The update lowers the voltage threshold that prevents remote start attempts, and maybe some more things. I believe the tsb # is TSB 08-041-21

Hrspwr88

Reaction score

Unfortunetly the block heater won't help as its a battery voltage issue.

Users who are viewing this thread