5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start on Rebel Ecodiesel

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I disconnected the battery overnight in an attempt to do a reset. I also checked the battery this morning with a battery tester, it said it was weak. But once I connected everything again and tried the remote start, it worked. Maybe it just needed a reset. I'll keep you posted if it keeps working. Tomorrow morning will be the next test.
I am going to put my battery on a 2amp charger overnight and see what happens. There is either a module that isn’t shutting down or the battery is weak. I am not sure of the cutoff voltage for remote start, but I’d think it’s right around 12v.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so I have had the 2amp smart charger hooked up and set as AGM and it is reporting that the battery is sub 50% charge after 1 hour. Going to leave it on for 18hours minimum.

Battery label says 800cca and 82 amp hours which if it truly is sub 50% would take 40+ hours to charge at 2 amps.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something seems a bit off with my truck, after putting a 2 amp charger on my truck for about 18 hours my charger was reporting the battery somewhere between 75 and 100% charged. I unhooked the charger and remote started the truck without issue at below freezing temps.

I then drove for close to two hours I took my truck into work and tested the battery with two different testers.

It tested as “good, recharge” and put out a total of 1062 cranking amps at 12.63 volts about 30 seconds after shut down. The battery is rated at 800cca so I’m not sure why it tested higher.

After testing the battery I drove home and threw it back on the charger which is now reporting the battery is between 50 and 75% charged, being a smart charger I will leave it on for the night again and see what the level is reporting as tomorrow.

I don’t know if these agm batteries have “cells” like the plain lead acid batteries but I’m thinking I either have a short in the battery causing it to drain or there is a module drawing to much power when the truck is off causing the voltage to drop to low to remote start to work.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Something seems a bit off with my truck, after putting a 2 amp charger on my truck for about 18 hours my charger was reporting the battery somewhere between 75 and 100% charged. I unhooked the charger and remote started the truck without issue at below freezing temps.

I then drove for close to two hours I took my truck into work and tested the battery with two different testers.

It tested as “good, recharge” and put out a total of 1062 cranking amps at 12.63 volts about 30 seconds after shut down. The battery is rated at 800cca so I’m not sure why it tested higher.

After testing the battery I drove home and threw it back on the charger which is now reporting the battery is between 50 and 75% charged, being a smart charger I will leave it on for the night again and see what the level is reporting as tomorrow.

I don’t know if these agm batteries have “cells” like the plain lead acid batteries but I’m thinking I either have a short in the battery causing it to drain or there is a module drawing to much power when the truck is off causing the voltage to drop to low to remote start to work.
Strange. My truck started using the remote without any issues today. All I did was leave the battery disconnected overnight in an attempt to reset. I'll keep you posted if it continues to work. Maybe worth a shot to disconnect yours.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Update, it hasn't been cold these past days but the truck sat for a couple days and the remote start has been working fine. Perhaps just a reset from disconnecting worked... I'll keep checking in.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
The battery disconnect didn't fix it. The dealer reflashed a module today. I'll let you know if this solves it.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The battery disconnect didn't fix it. The dealer reflashed a module today. I'll let you know if this solves it.

I doubt it fixed my issue, but it hasn’t been cold yet so we’ll see. I did put a charger on the truck for a couple of nights to top the battery off, voltage is still sub 12v in the mornings. Cold weather is on the way so we shall see.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Mine has been working fine since they flashed it. 2days anyway...

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Check out this Star bulletin. Exact symptoms I am having. Since the flash its been working but thought you guys may want to have a look.

Attachments

• MC-10178656-9999.pdf
    183.2 KB · Views: 29

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What’s weird is that the star case calls for cleaning two grounds and nothing about an update, but when I got it done the dealer said they did an update and nothing about cleaning grounds.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
What’s weird is that the star case calls for cleaning two grounds and nothing about an update, but when I got it done the dealer said they did an update and nothing about cleaning grounds.
Ya same... the dealer didn't even do an update they just reset a module.
They don't even know about this star case I would guess as they didn't even think I had an issue at first.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
-9C (16F) this morning and remote start failed to work, one flash/beep then nothing. Got in the truck and it fired up no problem.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
-16C this morning and mine started. Didn't use it at all yesterday so it definitely wouldn't have started prior to my dealer visit. I am hopeful that my issue is solved. For everyone heading to the dealer for this issue, they needed to check with their scanner and found a module not communicating during the remote start. They reflashed it and so far so good.

Hope this helps.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remote start failed to work again last night after work at 5:00. And again this morning before work. Temps were around -3C.

I am going to try and clean the grounds shown in that tsb and see if it changes anything. Although I am still leaning towards a bad battery or a module not turning off.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it looks like the dealer was one step ahead of me, every ground under the hood looks to have been removed (not sure about cleaned) and with the wrong socket.

Attachments

• 6118736A-4981-479E-AD4B-3290331E3AA7.jpeg
    6118736A-4981-479E-AD4B-3290331E3AA7.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 20

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Well it looks like the dealer was one step ahead of me, every ground under the hood looks to have been removed (not sure about cleaned) and with the wrong socket.
Interesting. So maybe they tried that.

They need to put it on the scanner and read what's happening. That's the only way they were able to see the one module not communicating. Goodluck. Mines been working since and it was -17C yesterday.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. So maybe they tried that.

They need to put it on the scanner and read what's happening. That's the only way they were able to see the one module not communicating. Goodluck. Mines been working since and it was -17C yesterday.

Ya I’ll have to take it in one night this week when it’s cold overnight and leave it for them to try. When I had it there last time the remote start worked so there was no error codes for them to read.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Ya I’ll have to take it in one night this week when it’s cold overnight and leave it for them to try. When I had it there last time the remote start worked so there was no error codes for them to read.
It should has some errors saved from previous failed attempts. Thats what the dealer told me anyway. Could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread