5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start not working when cold

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
-10C this morning and remote start worked once again. Starting to have a bit of confidence in the newest bcm update.

jtodd5781

Reaction score
-10C this morning and remote start worked once again. Starting to have a bit of confidence in the newest bcm update.
Too bad you don't know the BCM version. Is it possible to call the dealer to find out? This is what I found online.

TSB Number: 08-041-21
NHTSA Number: 10190708TSB
Date: March 18, 2021
Date Added to File: April 26, 2021
Failing Component: Structure
Summary: Flash: body control module (bcm) updates this bulletin involves updating the bcm with the latest available software. Customer may comment that after pressing the remote start button twice on the key fob, vehicle will chirp once, and fail

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Taking mine in for this. My truck had these issues last year and they replaced the battery and it fixed it for a while. Now that it's cold again it's doing it again..kind of annoying. Hopefully they apply that update.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

jtodd5781

Reaction score
Taking mine in for this. My truck had these issues last year and they replaced the battery and it fixed it for a while. Now that it's cold again it's doing it again..kind of annoying. Hopefully they apply that update.

If there is an update, please let us know what firmware version it is so that we can have it applied to ours. Thanks.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If there is an update, please let us know what firmware version it is so that we can have it applied to ours. Thanks.
Will do. They want me to leave the truck overnight..knowing my luck it will fire right up.
I want them to do the update anyways and will push for it. It's annoying not having remote start in these Canadian winters.

jtodd5781

Reaction score
Will do. They want me to leave the truck overnight..knowing my luck it will fire right up.
I want them to do the update anyways and will push for it. It's annoying not having remote start in these Canadian winters.

They will probably leave it inside overnight and of course it's going to fire right up. If they leave it outside and when the truck attempts to start after the first horn the battery will measure around 11.9V and the ECU will cancel the remote start thinking that the battery is dead when in actuality it has just lost capacity due to the battery being cold.

jtodd5781

Reaction score

If the lithium batteries weren't so darn expensive, I would try one as they don't lose nearly the capacity that the lead acid ones do when exposed to the cold.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
-10C again this morning and the remote start worked. Tonight is forecasted to be -15C. Seems the latest bcm update did the trick.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
-10C again this morning and the remote start worked. Tonight is forecasted to be -15C. Seems the latest bcm update did the trick.
Good to know. I'm going to push for it. I'm sick or my 90k truck not starting because it's cold.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
-15C this morning and the remote start worked again. I do have my winter grille cover installed and went for a 7 hour drive yesterday so I’m sure everything was charged up before sitting all night.

Vdubbry

Reaction score
I want to chime in on this thread. 2022 Big Horn with E-Torque, Brand new, have had it since December. Noticed one cold morning it would start and then it was struggling to stay running. Didn't think much of it, thought it was a fluke, but it has since done it a few more times. It will actually start and then struggle to stay running on super cold mornings. It has only one time totally stalled out, when that happened the "Battery" light on the dash was illuminated.

Haven't been to the dealer yet but just wanted to get in on this thread. Hoping we find a fix!

jtodd5781

Reaction score
I want to chime in on this thread. 2022 Big Horn with E-Torque, Brand new, have had it since December. Noticed one cold morning it would start and then it was struggling to stay running. Didn't think much of it, thought it was a fluke, but it has since done it a few more times. It will actually start and then struggle to stay running on super cold mornings. It has only one time totally stalled out, when that happened the "Battery" light on the dash was illuminated.

Haven't been to the dealer yet but just wanted to get in on this thread. Hoping we find a fix!
Your problem is totally different than ours. Hope you find a solution.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Do all the people having problems remote starting in the cold own Diesels?

Mslav

Reaction score
Well day 6 with my new battery and low and behold it stopped working again. Was about 15° so my truck said once it started. Cold yes but to affect a brand new battery that fast? Seems a little bit odd. There has to be some kind of software update that I'm missing. Because the truck starts fine pushing the button no hesitation and cranking over. I guess it's back to the dealer I go while I still have warranty

jtodd5781

Reaction score
Well day 6 with my new battery and low and behold it stopped working again. Was about 15° so my truck said once it started. Cold yes but to affect a brand new battery that fast? Seems a little bit odd. There has to be some kind of software update that I'm missing. Because the truck starts fine pushing the button no hesitation and cranking over. I guess it's back to the dealer I go while I still have warranty
I know that ever since I put a battery warmer on my truck, it has started every morning even at temperatures down to 0 degrees f. Don't know what the dealer will be able to do for you if engineering doesn't change the firmware of the BCM to lower the threshold voltage of the battery monitor.

Mslav

Reaction score
Actually it was only just the one day LOL which again is strange. That was a cold day yes but now that the temperatures are back around 30°. It's functional. I still don't think it's cold enough to drain a battery that much overnight. It's got to be something different. I'm thinking expansion contraction when it's hot and cold when it gets cold something is contracting and losing connection? It's a long shot but could be possible? The problem is finding it

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
-15C again today and remote start worked fine.

Reverse camera on the other hand isn’t work and all I get is a black screen when trying to view it.

Mslav

Reaction score
-15C again today and remote start worked fine.

Reverse camera on the other hand isn’t work and all I get is a black screen when trying to view it.
And meanwhile here it was about -10 Celsius in mine decided not to work. I didn't even get the two beeps this morning from the horn. Straight to a single beep. I decided to grab my tester just to see what the battery voltage was at before I started it. Said the battery was at 11.75 v. Proceeded to start the truck after myself and it started with no hesitation at all.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And meanwhile here it was about -10 Celsius in mine decided not to work. I didn't even get the two beeps this morning from the horn. Straight to a single beep. I decided to grab my tester just to see what the battery voltage was at before I started it. Said the battery was at 11.75 v. Proceeded to start the truck after myself and it started with no hesitation at all.
Mention it to your dealer, I just had another bcm update done that is supposed to resolve this issue and so far it seems to be working. Before the update I’d be lucky if remote start worked at 0C.

Mslav

Reaction score
Mention it to your dealer, I just had another bcm update done that is supposed to resolve this issue and so far it seems to be working. Before the update I’d be lucky if remote start worked at 0C.
I was actually talking to him on Thursday because it failed once last week. And I asked about the software update. He claims I have the latest and greatest but he's going to dig deeper. In the meantime I'm just dealing and seeing how it reacts day to day. So after I started it normally today let it warm up get everything up to temperature. Went for a drive into town to do a couple errands. Got them done came home. 2 hours later to go and take my son to work. It was already failing within a matter of 2 hours. Makes absolutely no sense. You would have think it would have been charged up if it was the battery issue

Users who are viewing this thread