5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start not working when cold

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck has been through two Alaskan winters with temps as low as -20F with no issues remote starting.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After the latest bcm update I’ve had zero issues with the remote start working when it’s cold.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mines still acting up. Back she goes. Again. And I’m thinking the dealer didn’t change the battery…looking at this “new” battery / it looks pretty damn dirty and covered in rustproofing over spray to be new. Damn it.

jtodd5781

Reaction score
Mines still acting up. Back she goes. Again. And I’m thinking the dealer didn’t change the battery…looking at this “new” battery / it looks pretty damn dirty and covered in rustproofing over spray to be new. Damn it.
Any update on your truck?

Reaction score
I just hit 10k miles with no issues until a week ago where my truck will also not remote start when it's about 40F or lower. It will blink once and do nothing - also no messages. If I stand right in front of it when trying to start it, I can hear some type of "buzzing" under the hood like it's trying to do something but stops after a second or two. The remote start will work later in the day when it's warmer or after I've driven it so this leads me to believe it's a battery issue.

I took it to the CDJR dealership in my town on 1/12 and they reset something (sorry left paperwork at home) and they said if it continues then it's probably a fob issue? The next morning it was 29F out and the remote start worked the first time. However, 1/14 and 1/15 the remote start did not work, again - both mornings it was about 30-33F out. I am going back to the dealership today and I'm going to have them look at my battery under the hood and not my fob battery. I also took a snippet of the list Jeffjad pasted (thank you) from the owners manual and will have them check that out as well.

So far the dealership has treated me well and responded in a timely manner. Will post an update later tonight!

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If they were to do this before I would certainly have marked it this time.

Reaction score
Started again for me, just -1C I has happened since I got it. Every winter. The dealer just told me that was the way it is, which makes no sense. The Sam dealer told me that the manual recommendations for fluid, tire torque, etc are not correct. I love my truck, but hate Ram dealer ships, gone to 3 of the so far they are all bad.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a flash for that. I got it before last winter and have not had an issue since

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At the dealer. They are flashing the BCM. We will see. Hope it works. Thanks again for the TSB info.
I had the same update done on my 2020 to fix a cold weather remote start issue, never had an issue afterwords.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So when I brought mine in with this problem the service advisor thought that I was nuts. She said, "how could that be, it's made to start cars in the cold" I even overheard her kind of joking with the tech about it. Then, after the oil change the tech came out and told me that he had found a TSB that, much to their surprise, described the issue and he had flashed the truck, both of them had this embarrassed look because I was the one now rubbing it in ;)

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So when I brought mine in with this problem the service advisor thought that I was nuts. She said, "how could that be, it's made to start cars in the cold" I even overheard her kind of joking with the tech about it. Then, after the oil change the tech came out and told me that he had found a TSB that, much to their surprise, described the issue and he had flashed the truck, both of them had this embarrassed look because I was the one now rubbing it in ;)
Funny how the "experts" always know better, isn't it?

jtodd5781

Reaction score
I found my receipt for my 2020 for this problem. Says "Updated BCM per TSB 08-041-21 I live in NH and have not had the problem since.
After the dealer diagnosed my truck back in Jan and Feb of 2021 and found nothing wrong after being in the shop several times for the same issue, I insisted that they replace the battery but the problem of not starting persisted when it got cold out. I used a battery warmer to eliminate the problem. I just recently got back on this forum to see if any solutions have been found and I found your post. I called the dealer to inquire about this TSB and they told me that since the truck is not longer under warranty that it will cost $175.00 to perform the diagnostics in order to do the TSB. I explained to the service writer that the diagnostics wouldn't find anything if it's not cold out and the truck has been sitting overnight. He says that they can't do the TSB without the diagnostics and basically told me that if diagnostics found nothing I would be out the $175 and no TSB would be performed if no issues were found, which is ********. He goes on to tell me if this was a problem that he would have heard of it. Sometimes I hate service writers, especially after I already diagnosed the problem by using a power supply, as long as the battery is kept above 12V the remote works fine, once it drops below this threshold, the truck chirps once and no remote start.

jtodd5781

Reaction score
Funny how the "experts" always know better, isn't it?
Experts my ***. The service advisor here wants to charge me $175.00 to diagnose the problem before performing the TSB because it's no longer under warranty. I stated, "Why do you need to diagnose a problem that's been going on for over 3 years and has been in your service center for this problem several times in Jan and Feb of 2021. He says, "That was under the previous owners". I told him that I had already diagnosed the problem and the problem happens when it's really cold out and the truck sits outside all night, the problem happens when the battery voltage drops below 12V due to the cold, which I proved as soon as I brought the battery voltage higer than 12V with a DC power supply the remote works just fine. He went on to tell me that he has never heard of this problem before.

jtodd5781

Reaction score
I found my receipt for my 2020 for this problem. Says "Updated BCM per TSB 08-041-21 I live in NH and have not had the problem since.
When you took the truck to the service department, where they able to duplicate the problem before performing the TSB or did they take your word for it that it doesn't start when cold out?

Users who are viewing this thread