5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RELEASE THE KIT ALREADY BDS!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
With 35” tires we are required to have “ mudflaps “ ?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With 35” tires we are required to have “ mudflaps “ ?
Depends on a couple of things here in Cali, How far the tires extend past the fender, There is also a ratio that has to be met that relates the height from the bottom of the rear bumper to the ground in comparison to the distance from the back of the rear bumper to the most rear point of the tire ie, if you were looking at the tire like a face of clock typically this would be 3 o' clock or so. Its basically the trajectory angle if your tire were to kick up debris, if the distance to the rear of the truck is long enough or the truck is low enough the debris should hit the underside of the truck and not be flung up into the air possibly hitting someones windshield. It's not really tire size dependent but it used to be you had to go up with 6 inches of lift to clear 35's and this usually created a mud flap requirement issue because of the height of the truck however the wheel wells are so large on these newer trucks as long as you keep the tires in the wheel wells and not sticking out 2 inches past I can't imagine people having issues unless they are putting on 6 inches of lift or more along with 35s. Really even a stock truck running 22x14 with huge negative offset and the tires sticking way out should have to have them covered even if they're only running 32 or 33 inch tires. Here in CA it's usually the CHP that enforce this code as local PD either aren't as privy to it or not as apt to enforce it. Full Throttle and McGaughys are both built here in Fresno so it's pretty common to see trucks running huge lifts with 37s and 40s and they never have mud flaps but should.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suggest moving to somewhere else that actually participates in freedom
Not really sure how this a violation of someones freedom, If you want to run 37s or 40s without mudflaps then you should also be willing to accept liability for any damage to other peoples property that are the result of your decision. You kick up a rock and crack someones windshield, you or your insurance should be the one to replace it not the other motorist.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure I’d agree, but I shouldn’t have to legally put mud flaps on my vehicle just because California wants to get money to feed the cow. I mean the TRUTH is that any vehicle can sling rocks, I actually just got a chip from little Mazda SUV. Almost always happens when people Change lanes and fling up debris that’s sitting near the lines. I mean big 18 wheelers and dump trucks and etc toss rocks all the time and they even sometimes have them. It’s just part of the beast.

That’s all I’m going to say about it, as to not send this off topic further.

R

Rebel4x4

Any update on BDS releasing the 4" kit for 2019s? Sounds like Fabtech should be releasing a 4" kit in about a month...

UglyMutt

Reaction score
BDS 4 inch lift for 2019 Rebels (non air susp) can be found here....

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BDS 4 inch lift for 2019 Rebels (non air susp) can be found here....

Air ride kits will be out soon enough, if you look a the pics of the truck on the BDS website for the 4 inch kit you will notice it is an air ride truck.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So these will only be for the Rebel ?
Works on any truck with coil springs. ORP and Rebels will likely sit more level ,standard trucks will end up with some rake towards the front. Reason being the kit comes with 3 inch rear springs and the front has 4 inch spacers. So ORP and Rebel get an additional 4 inches added to the factory 1" in the front for 5 inches total because they reuse the coil over, the rear 1" lift spring gets replaced with a 3 inch so the back only goes up 2" over stock for a total of 3" making it 5" front 3" rear. Standard trucks go up 4 inches in the front and the rear spring is replaced with a 3". So you end up 4" front 3" rear. Will likely need a 1" front spacer to level things up.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. Thank you very much for the technical info, this will allow me to make the right decision one time.

UglyMutt

Reaction score
Works on any truck with coil springs. ORP and Rebels will likely sit more level ,standard trucks will end up with some rake towards the front. Reason being the kit comes with 3 inch rear springs and the front has 4 inch spacers. So ORP and Rebel get an additional 4 inches added to the factory 1" in the front for 5 inches total because they reuse the coil over, the rear 1" lift spring gets replaced with a 3 inch so the back only goes up 2" over stock for a total of 3" making it 5" front 3" rear. Standard trucks go up 4 inches in the front and the rear spring is replaced with a 3". So you end up 4" front 3" rear. Will likely need a 1" front spacer to level things up.
Yes Sir my Rebel has a 2.5 inch rake, so the 3 rear 5 front will leave my truck with 1/2 inch of rake... perfect for me...... I think for a regular 1500 they have a different kit for them... like the 6 inch lift kit...

UglyMutt

Reaction score
Air ride kits will be out soon enough, if you look a the pics of the truck on the BDS website for the 4 inch kit you will notice it is an air ride truck.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes Sir my Rebel has a 2.5 inch rake, so the 3 rear 5 front will leave my truck with 1/2 inch of rake... perfect for me...... I think for a regular 1500 they have a different kit for them... like the 6 inch lift kit...
Its the same kit, I thought maybe they had 2 different kits rebel versus standard, so I dug a little deeper and started looking at part numbers for all the pieces. Turns out the 4" kit and 6" kit are the same kit, the only difference is the front strut spacer and the rear springs. The knuckles, cross members and control arm relocation brackets are all the same for both kits. The 6 inch kit comes with an additional preload spacer to even up the front for the standard trucks, you don't use the preload on the ORP or Rebel trucks. Whats odd is they don't include the preload spacer for the 4 inch kit.

dsmgsx916

Reaction score
Check their post on Facebook announcing the 4-inch kit. I pointed out that the pictures from their website show a truck equipped with air-ride and they responded that they would be releasing the air-ride 4-inch kit in just a couple of weeks, they're already in production. Good news, I'm planning on pulling the trigger as soon as they're available.

Users who are viewing this thread