5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recon LED 3rd Brake Light 2019+

DeV

Reaction score
Not sure if it was you or not, but someone else posted a picture of theirs with the Mopar Tonneau cover and you ain't kidding. It is super close to hitting but just sneaks by it looks like.
Yeah, that was me :)

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doesn’t the new brake light in the 21’s and 22’s stick out also anyway?.. Don’t see the big deal here with that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah the LED version does. I just didn't know the overall difference in dimensions between the OEM version and this. Obviously only a potential concern with trifold/quadfold style covers that fold up by the cab, but it does not appear to be a real issue so far.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I have the expensive LASFIT bulbs that WILL NOT cause fob interference if anyone is interested in purchasing...they were $50 from LASFIT...only been in use for about a month.
FYI I have the same bulbs and they do cause interference. It depends on the truck, and the day, and the weather, and the wind, and I'm sure many other worldly factors we're unaware of. Weird trucks.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI I have the same bulbs and they do cause interference. It depends on the truck, and the day, and the weather, and the wind, and I'm sure many other worldly factors we're unaware of. Weird trucks.
I too have the same bulbs and I agree with you 100%. Every day is different.

DeV

Reaction score
To be clear - you are referring to the newest bulbs they came out with? I bought LASFIT when I first got the truck because everyone swore by them and I, too, had fob detection and trunk issues - I reached out to LASFIT and they had newer bulbs...

1st ones that caused issues were like $20 for the pair and the 2nd ones were like $50

Last edited:
U

User_63152

Got mine in on Friday - the dealer had their window guy install it and seal it, so there should be no leaks.
I have a mopar hard tonneau cover - it JUST clears the light.

Happy with it - some of the pics made me unsure if I would like it sticking out as much as it does, but to fork over the money for a 3rd brake light, I like having it more noticeable - gives it almost the spoiler look to the cab to have it protruding...

Main reason I ordered one is because the guy who painted my tail lights didn't listen to me and painted over the cargo lights of the 3rd light, so my bulbs were dim.
That being said, I have the expensive LASFIT bulbs that WILL NOT cause fob interference if anyone is interested in purchasing...they were $50 from LASFIT...only been in use for about a month.
Pics! Pics! Pics!

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
To be clear - you are referring to the newest bulbs they came out with? I bought LASFIT when I first got the truck because everyone swore by them and I, too, had fob detection and trunk issues - I reached out to LASFIT and they had newer bulbs...

1st ones that caused issues were like $20 for the pair and the 2nd ones were like $50
Absolutely. I only bought these a couple of weeks ago and the LasFit site explicitly said "updated." There is no guaranteed solution with bulbs.

1500DFW

Reaction score
Well I’m sold. I used the ‘getlit’ code and got them out the door for $187. I had been looking at the OEM unit for quite some time but can’t justify the cost especially since no one has been able to get the camera to work on the
‘19s. I’ve had some of interference with every type of LED bulb I’ve used in the stock lamp. Not to mention even with LED bulbs in there it still looks out of place with everything else on the truck being LED. I’ll update in a few days when I have it installed.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I’m sold. I used the ‘getlit’ code and got them out the door for $187. I had been looking at the OEM unit for quite some time but can’t justify the cost especially since no one has been able to get the camera to work on the
‘19s. I’ve had some of interference with every type of LED bulb I’ve used in the stock lamp. Not to mention even with LED bulbs in there it still looks out of place with everything else on the truck being LED. I’ll update in a few days when I have it installed.
Interested to hear how this goes for you. I haven't updated in several days because I have found nothing noteworthy to provide an update on. I've had no issues with the light so far.

1500DFW

Reaction score
Interested to hear how this goes for you. I haven't updated in several days because I have found nothing noteworthy to provide an update on. I've had no issues with the light so far.

That’s good to hear. The only thing I wonder about it the cargo light output on this unit? The various LEDs I tried in the OEM unit, while causing FOB errors were rather bright. How’s the output on the new unit? Does it light up the bed pretty well?

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually don’t like the cargo LEDs besides the overall look of them.
They are blinding and shine right into your face.
Also, when you have your tonneau cover closed and you open the tailgate the reflection off the cover is even worse in your eyes.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s good to hear. The only thing I wonder about it the cargo light output on this unit? The various LEDs I tried in the OEM unit, while causing FOB errors were rather bright. How’s the output on the new unit? Does it light up the bed pretty well?
I honestly still haven't been out at night to see how well these do. Well, I've been out but this keeps slipping my mind. They appear to be decent from a light output perspective, I'm just unsure if the lights are angled downward enough to properly light up the bed.

I actually don’t like the cargo LEDs besides the overall look of them.
They are blinding and shine right into your face.
Also, when you have your tonneau cover closed and you open the tailgate the reflection off the cover is even worse in your eyes.
Are you speaking on this specific unit, or do you just mean LED cargo lights in general?

U

User_63152

Got my Recon 3rd brake light today (2 days late!!!). Initially I wasn't sure how tight to torque the screws. It was pretty cold in my garage. I tightened them down a bit, let it sit, then tightened them down to what I thought was good. It does seem like it should be able to go down a bit more, but, I will wait for warmer weather. I might just leave well enough alone, too. I don't want to break it. As long as it doesn't leak, I'm good.

Couldn't check the brake light because it's just me. Plus, It was like 20 degrees in my garage. :LOL:

I will say, it looks bad-azz!

Attachments

• IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1216.jpg
    IMG_1216.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 181

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can someone explain why it’s difficult to get this to lay flush against the truck?.. is it the extra thick gasket? Or is it something else? Design flaw?

U

User_63152

Can someone explain why it’s difficult to get this to lay flush against the truck?.. is it the extra thick gasket? Or is it something else? Design flaw?

I think it’s an extra thick gasket. I was afraid to tighten it up anymore. CRACK!!! Didn’t want to break it. It’s pretty close. Not as flush as I’d like it, though.

I sent them an email explaining about the gap. We'll see what they say.

DeV's looks flush, though.🤷‍♂️

Maybe I just didn't tighten it up all way. But, I am afraid of breaking it, especially when it's so cold out. Man, I got a complex now.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User_63152

I readjusted it and got it a bit more flush, I think. It noticed it was more flush on the driver side. I can't even tell when I am standing on the ground looking at it from either side. It looks flush. Just going to leave it and see.

I still didn't want to overtighten the screws. I was just waiting for the CRACK!

I found a sawed off broom handle to use as a brake holder. The reds match pretty well.

The first pic is with my garage door opener light on.

Attachments

• IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1222.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited by a moderator:

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe recon can run a test for us and give us some torque specs on the screws and the unit before it cracks?..

U

User_63152

Maybe recon can run a test for us and give us some torque specs on the screws and the unit before it cracks?..

That would be nice. I swear it was going to break on me. I heard it creaking a bit. Actually thought I heard a slight crack, honestly. I backed off the 2 screws on the passenger side by 1/4 turn. They were really tight. I was trying to even them up. Got paranoid. I have overtightened things before, and it sucks.

I don't gorilla things, either. I was being very careful

There were no instructions in the box, either, by the way. And, I just read that they have a NO return policy on opened items. I am not knocking them. I'm just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread