5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recon LED 3rd Brake Light 2019+

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed the light about 30 minutes ago and snapped a few pictures during the swap. Recons shipping is no joke. Ordered Thursday evening, and on my doorstep Saturday morning. I work in the shipping industry so I try to recognize great shipping service when worthy. They wasted absolutely no time getting this sent out to the carrier.

Packaging was well done. The light was sealed in a plastic bag surrounded completely by 1 or more layers of styrofoam inside the box.

After unpacking, I immediately noticed the depth to this light. I imagined it to be flat and flush like the factory 3rd brake light, but this is noticeably thicker. It actually sticks out from the top of the cab once installed, and I was unsure if I was going to like this, but I must say it doesn’t look bad at all in my opinion. I actually sort of like the added depth to it. I also noticed how thick the foam gasket seal is on this light as well. It seems to be well made and I’m hopeful that it will create a water tight seal.

Installation was a breeze like you would probably imagine it to be. Four phillips head screws hold in the existing factory light. Those will need to be removed and then reused for the new Recon light. Remove the old light by pulling out and towards you once the screws have been removed. Disconnect the wiring connector, and reinstall the new light in the reverse order. One thing to note is that you should be sure to tighten each of the four screws gradually. Do not excessively tighten one at a time. Remember that you are working with plastic and if too much force is applied to one side before the other it could crack. I found working the screws in together also helped align everything easily as well. I did have to apply a decent amount pressure to the light as I was tightening the screws to get the lip of the light lined up with the truck, but I made it happen. I’ve read a few others claiming this was a slight issue for them as well so just know it may take a little force while tightening the screws to get it sitting flush where it should be.

So the main question. Does it interfere with the key fob? Keep in mind that I haven’t had a chance to test this out fully, but I have had no issues whatsoever. I locked and unlocked the truck probably 20-30 times after installing, and it worked flawlessly. Remote start was tried twice, and also worked as expected both times. Give me some more time with this light, and I’ll be happy to give you a longer term update if I run into any issues.

I have not tested for water leaks yet but have it on my to do list asap. As you may see from my photos, my truck is pretty dirty. I’m hoping to wash it sometime in the next day or two, and I’ll see if I notice any water leaks inside the cab at that time.

The Recon light seems quite a bit brighter than the halogen bulbs, but I’ve only had a chance to see this in the daylight so far. I’ll see if I can grab a photo or two as it starts to get darker out. For those of you running LED bulbs in your existing 3rd brake light, I’m unsure how the brightness will compare between the two since I have no way to test against each other.

not completely in the clear yet since I’m still waiting to see how it does against water leaks and fob interference long term, but so far so good!

Attachments

• 06B420AE-AA98-4F46-8504-95CEAE786DE1.jpeg
    06B420AE-AA98-4F46-8504-95CEAE786DE1.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 365
  • B384C807-F6D8-4EB1-A376-6395326D455A.jpeg
    B384C807-F6D8-4EB1-A376-6395326D455A.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 354
  • FDA0F752-1309-4DFD-AAD2-C1F8C3BF9F19.jpeg
    FDA0F752-1309-4DFD-AAD2-C1F8C3BF9F19.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 353
  • 0A02DB49-BA83-4460-AD4D-2F39583CED7F.jpeg
    0A02DB49-BA83-4460-AD4D-2F39583CED7F.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 352
  • D13B1B30-12C2-4513-8BAD-A1910A41F007.jpeg
    D13B1B30-12C2-4513-8BAD-A1910A41F007.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 355
  • C0BBBD97-3CAD-4E8A-83ED-678B2CF8AACC.jpeg
    C0BBBD97-3CAD-4E8A-83ED-678B2CF8AACC.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 380
  • 117B8FD2-4145-4FC8-BBFE-45EB29E12EF2.jpeg
    117B8FD2-4145-4FC8-BBFE-45EB29E12EF2.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 382
  • 0F9B8749-39AE-4550-BD4A-A1462B1DC53F.jpeg
    0F9B8749-39AE-4550-BD4A-A1462B1DC53F.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 381
  • 3C640BE5-0311-41F4-A7E4-1404C26504BE.jpeg
    3C640BE5-0311-41F4-A7E4-1404C26504BE.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a few more to show light output. The second photo of the bed may be a little misleading. My driveway lights were on so there was some additional light output that helped illuminate the bed. Regardless these are still a lot brighter than what I was used to. You can also peep the new taillights. I was able to get the LED tails installed today too. And as far as the key fob goes, no issues at all today. I ran several errands throughout the day, and it worked completely fine each time I locked or unlocked the vehicle.

Attachments

• 219A1177-5D9F-444F-9A1D-0196E6A87A3D.jpeg
    219A1177-5D9F-444F-9A1D-0196E6A87A3D.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 296
  • 65A566A1-6878-4281-8822-62CCCD1705EB.jpeg
    65A566A1-6878-4281-8822-62CCCD1705EB.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 295
  • E674D4F8-5C6C-4255-8066-D03E44F47049.jpeg
    E674D4F8-5C6C-4255-8066-D03E44F47049.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Damn that does actually look pretty nice. Curious to see if the white lights actually shine down into the bed at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn that does actually look pretty nice. Curious to see if the white lights actually shine down into the bed at night

Next time I’m out at night, I’ll try to get a picture from above the bed looking down into it. I’m also curious how well it does without any other lighting present.

Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Washed the truck this morning and took the pressure washer to the 3rd brake light for a good 30+ seconds. This was after I had already washed and rinsed the vehicle, so this was just an additional test for good measure lol. After drying the exterior of the truck off, I went inside the cab expecting to find the worst, but the headliner was completely dry to the touch. No signs of water at all on the headliner or back glass. I’m going to check on it again in a few hours just to see if any potential residual water works it way inside but I would really think that if were to leak, it already would have after blasting it with the pressure washer for as long as I did.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just a few more to show light output. The second photo of the bed may be a little misleading. My driveway lights were on so there was some additional light output that helped illuminate the bed. Regardless these are still a lot brighter than what I was used to. You can also peep the new taillights. I was able to get the LED tails installed today too. And as far as the key fob goes, no issues at all today. I ran several errands throughout the day, and it worked completely fine each time I locked or unlocked the vehicle.
Fwiw, the keyfob issue with LED bulbs only happens when trying to start the truck, since you have to push the brake and the 3rd brake light is on. Locking/unlocking and remote start are not effected.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fwiw, the keyfob issue with LED bulbs only happens when trying to start the truck, since you have to push the brake and the 3rd brake light is on. Locking/unlocking and remote start are not effected.
Oh okay, that makes sense. I was completely unaware of what the specific issues were. I just assumed it was lock and unlock. Thanks for clarifying, and I will add that I have had zero issues with starting the truck since installing this.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

Nope. Happens when trying to lock the truck with the fob as well. Since the bed lights are on when you exit the truck.

That is if you replaced all the bulbs with led

TLOC

Reaction score
Wow, never heard of this issue, I replaced my '19 Laramie 3rd brake with 3 LED's from Lasfit 10,000 miles ago (currently 18k) and never even knew there could be issues nor have had any...🤙🍻

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I think there are as many led tail light issue threads as there are oil threads.

My truck suffers from the issue. But it doesn’t bother me that much.

U

User_63152

Installed the light about 30 minutes ago and snapped a few pictures during the swap. Recons shipping is no joke. Ordered Thursday evening, and on my doorstep Saturday morning. I work in the shipping industry so I try to recognize great shipping service when worthy. They wasted absolutely no time getting this sent out to the carrier.

Packaging was well done. The light was sealed in a plastic bag surrounded completely by 1 or more layers of styrofoam inside the box.

After unpacking, I immediately noticed the depth to this light. I imagined it to be flat and flush like the factory 3rd brake light, but this is noticeably thicker. It actually sticks out from the top of the cab once installed, and I was unsure if I was going to like this, but I must say it doesn’t look bad at all in my opinion. I actually sort of like the added depth to it. I also noticed how thick the foam gasket seal is on this light as well. It seems to be well made and I’m hopeful that it will create a water tight seal.

Installation was a breeze like you would probably imagine it to be. Four phillips head screws hold in the existing factory light. Those will need to be removed and then reused for the new Recon light. Remove the old light by pulling out and towards you once the screws have been removed. Disconnect the wiring connector, and reinstall the new light in the reverse order. One thing to note is that you should be sure to tighten each of the four screws gradually. Do not excessively tighten one at a time. Remember that you are working with plastic and if too much force is applied to one side before the other it could crack. I found working the screws in together also helped align everything easily as well. I did have to apply a decent amount pressure to the light as I was tightening the screws to get the lip of the light lined up with the truck, but I made it happen. I’ve read a few others claiming this was a slight issue for them as well so just know it may take a little force while tightening the screws to get it sitting flush where it should be.

So the main question. Does it interfere with the key fob? Keep in mind that I haven’t had a chance to test this out fully, but I have had no issues whatsoever. I locked and unlocked the truck probably 20-30 times after installing, and it worked flawlessly. Remote start was tried twice, and also worked as expected both times. Give me some more time with this light, and I’ll be happy to give you a longer term update if I run into any issues.

I have not tested for water leaks yet but have it on my to do list asap. As you may see from my photos, my truck is pretty dirty. I’m hoping to wash it sometime in the next day or two, and I’ll see if I notice any water leaks inside the cab at that time.

The Recon light seems quite a bit brighter than the halogen bulbs, but I’ve only had a chance to see this in the daylight so far. I’ll see if I can grab a photo or two as it starts to get darker out. For those of you running LED bulbs in your existing 3rd brake light, I’m unsure how the brightness will compare between the two since I have no way to test against each other.

not completely in the clear yet since I’m still waiting to see how it does against water leaks and fob interference long term, but so far so good!
I just bought one. I figured why not? :ROFLMAO:

Should be here this week sometime.

I tried the Diode Dynamics cargo and 3rd brake lights. They worked great. But, I want that smoked look. I sold the bulbs to another member here on the forum. Probably should have kept them. Oh well.

That RECON looks sweet, so, I am looking foreword to installing it. Plus, I like the all-in-one aspect of it. If I have to change it back, I can just switch the housings.(y)

Luckily, I haven't had the dreaded leak issue.:eek: Fingers crossed.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just bought one. I figured why not? :ROFLMAO:

Should be here this week sometime.

I tried the Diode Dynamics cargo and 3rd brake lights. They worked great. But, I want that smoked look. I sold the bulbs to another member here on the forum. Probably should have kept them. Oh well.

That RECON looks sweet, so, I am looking foreword to installing it. Plus, I like the all-in-one aspect of it. If I have to change it back, I can just switch the housings.(y)

Luckily, I haven't had the dreaded leak issue.:eek: Fingers crossed.
Nice! Be sure to update with your experience once you get it installed. And like mentioned in my post, don’t get discouraged if it seems like the fitment isn’t lining up. Mine seemed like it wasn’t going to sit back far enough, but after working with it for a bit, applying even pressure, and tightening the screws down together, I got the outside lip of the light to sit flush. Looking forward to hearing your opinion on it. Will be good to get another confirmation on the absence of key fob interference as well!

DeV

Reaction score
Got mine in on Friday - the dealer had their window guy install it and seal it, so there should be no leaks.
I have a mopar hard tonneau cover - it JUST clears the light.

Happy with it - some of the pics made me unsure if I would like it sticking out as much as it does, but to fork over the money for a 3rd brake light, I like having it more noticeable - gives it almost the spoiler look to the cab to have it protruding...

Main reason I ordered one is because the guy who painted my tail lights didn't listen to me and painted over the cargo lights of the 3rd light, so my bulbs were dim.
That being said, I have the expensive LASFIT bulbs that WILL NOT cause fob interference if anyone is interested in purchasing...they were $50 from LASFIT...only been in use for about a month.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got mine in on Friday - the dealer had their window guy install it and seal it, so there should be no leaks.
I have a mopar hard tonneau cover - it JUST clears the light.

Happy with it - some of the pics made me unsure if I would like it sticking out as much as it does, but to fork over the money for a 3rd brake light, I like having it more noticeable - gives it almost the spoiler look to the cab to have it protruding...

Main reason I ordered one is because the guy who painted my tail lights didn't listen to me and painted over the cargo lights of the 3rd light, so my bulbs were dim.
That being said, I have the expensive LASFIT bulbs that WILL NOT cause fob interference if anyone is interested in purchasing...they were $50 from LASFIT...only been in use for about a month.
I seen someone else post a picture of a tape measure showing how far it sticks out and it looks like it is just at the 1" mark from the base of the light. Some pictures make it look like it is a whole lot worse than it actually is. Not sure if it was you or not, but someone else posted a picture of theirs with the Mopar Tonneau cover and you ain't kidding. It is super close to hitting but just sneaks by it looks like. That is good news because I didn't even consider it disrupting the function of Tonneaus. Curious how it makes out with other covers because I do plan to add one to my truck sooner or later.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doesn’t the new brake light in the 21’s and 22’s stick out also anyway?.. Don’t see the big deal here with that..

Users who are viewing this thread