5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommended vs REQUIRED oil spec

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just followed up with Valvoline via the question and answer section of their listing in Amazon and they're now saying it does NOT meet specifications for MS-12991. Ridiculous that 3 or 4 months ago it did, but now suddenly it doesn't. I pasted the response to my question which is showing up on the Q&A for the 5L bottle.

"A: Unfortunately, the Valvoline - 881166 European Vehicle Full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil does not meet the MS-12991 specification. Please give us a call at 800-832-6825 x5 for a recommendation of the appropriate oil.
By Valvoline Product Support on February 8, 2021"

Guess I have to find something new now since I didn't buy a supply of the bottles when it did in fact have the MS-12991 standard on the label.

Well that's a bummer.

Looks like Motul and Pennzoil are now the least expensive options.

JGRaider

Reaction score
Just changed my oil at the 11750 mile mark, with 8000 miles on my first usage of Amsoil European 5w-40. which included lots of dusty/dirty driving off road conditions, some towing, and the rest highway miles. Analysis showed excellent performance from the Amsoil.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve used Amsoil for first 2 changes. Engine runs Great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom318

Reaction score
I've ordered the Pennzoil Platinum Euro for a second time now from amazon and it has MS-12991 right on the label. The 6 packs are ~ $7.33/qt. IMG_5312.jpg IMG_5313.jpg

Funeman

Reaction score
I've ordered the Pennzoil Platinum Euro for a second time now from amazon and it has MS-12991 right on the label. The 6 packs are ~ $7.33/qt. View attachment 82217 View attachment 82218
I know Pennzoil meets it, I was hoping the Valvoline would retain their MS12991 rating because it was only $23 for the big jug. Pisses me off that up to 3 months ago, the bottle showed the MS12991 standard and when they redid it to the "European" label, they took it off. Oh well.

Borsig

Reaction score
Considering an eco-d purchase and reading this thread makes my head hurt. I own a VW TDI and the 507.00 spec threads read just like this. The last thing I want if I buy an eco-d is more hard to find, overpriced oil when it comes time to change.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Considering an eco-d purchase and reading this thread makes my head hurt. I own a VW TDI and the 507.00 spec threads read just like this. The last thing I want if I buy an eco-d is more hard to find, overpriced oil when it comes time to change.
It's not hard to find at all. My local store has several oils that meet MS12991 spec.

JGRaider

Reaction score
I can place an Amsoil order and it will be at my front door in 2-3 days, as will the oil filter from diesel filters online. All for about $100. Doesn't get much easier than that.

mrfreon

Reaction score
Can you please post the part number for the Amsoil motor oil?

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you please post the part number for the Amsoil motor oil?

3bb0371d218cbb269ba5a1fccfeb0478.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borsig

Reaction score
So Is rotella T6 approved or not?

It seems the number 1 problem with ANY diesel in the eco-D line is soot ash / garbage in the oil clogging up bearing journals and causing premature failure.

I've been buying my diesel oil service stuff for nearly a decade from IDParts. Looking there, their standard kit for the Eco-D has Total Quartz 9000. They also list Penzoil euro, and Fuchs titan super syn. The kit is 129.99. That's expensive AF. My TDI kit has 6L of oil and is only 50 bucks, and that oil isn't cheap. Where the hell is the price coming from in this kit, the filter? ID parts usually has great prices and service but 130.00 for a kit is painful.

To me, the mark of a great oil for this engine, if you are concerned about ash load, would be anything that has the MB spec 229.5, BMW LL01, VW 505 and espeically 507.

These oils are like 30 bucks a 5qt jug. Is the filter for this truck THAT expensive? Holy hell. ETA - Just looked up the filters online. 50 bucks for an oil filter. The ridiculousness marches on, I guess.

Last edited:

tom318

Reaction score
As of now, T6 is NOT approved from what I've seen.

Needs to meet MS-12991. I've been using the Pennzoil Platinum Euro. Runs about 7.33 a quart if you buy the 6 packs on amazon. Truck takes 8.5L. I bought 3 cases to cover me for 2 changes. What drives the price up is the ridiculous oil filter, its comes with the entire housing and no other way to buy it. The filter is ~$50 on amazon or https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com.

Filter PN: 68507598AA

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I have a MOPAR service contract for mine, 4 oil changes for $400. I couldn't change it myself for any cheaper, so figured it is a good deal. Of course, I've had the dealer do 3 changes so far and all 3 times the techs tried to put Rotella T6 in it instead of the MOPAR spec oil.

Borsig

Reaction score

Needs to meet MS-12991. I've been using the Pennzoil Platinum Euro. Runs about 7.33 a quart if you buy the 6 packs on amazon. Truck takes 8.5L. I bought 3 cases to cover me for 2 changes. What drives the price up is the ridiculous oil filter, its comes with the entire housing and no other way to buy it. The filter is ~$50 on amazon or https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com.

Total 9000 meets that spec.

I've used total Ineo for years in my TDIs. As well as liqui moly and rowe.
I'm not sure how Total 9000 compares to the Penzoil. I'd have to see how many specs side by side. ID parts is definitely high on these kits. The Total 9000 might be a good buy however.

Borsig

Reaction score
I have a MOPAR service contract for mine, 4 oil changes for $400. I couldn't change it myself for any cheaper, so figured it is a good deal. Of course, I've had the dealer do 3 changes so far and all 3 times the techs tried to put Rotella T6 in it instead of the MOPAR spec oil.

I KNOW your pain. In the early days of TDI, they always tried to put the "shop oil" in them. Clogged DPF? Sure. thanks.

1stdiesel

Reaction score

just checked amazon they are 29 dollars for the filter now take a look

cdsons

Reaction score
Why are people not talking about Quaker State Euro that clearly meets the spec, and cost less than any other mentioned oil? Also it can be readily found on the shelves of our local Wal-Mart in 5qt Jugs.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just checked amazon they are 29 dollars for the filter now take a look
I'm not using a $29 no name chinese oil filter when the risk is a $50,000+ brick.

Detailed Seller Information​

• Business Name:Ruian Shengyuan Auto Parts Company Limited
  • Business Address:
    • No.24 Haiguang Road Haibei Industrial Tangxia
    • Ruian
    • Zhejiang
    • CN

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I KNOW your pain. In the early days of TDI, they always tried to put the "shop oil" in them. Clogged DPF? Sure. thanks.
That's the only real reason for all the oil nonsense anyways is that FCA just wants to kick the DPF out of warranty by using oils without all the minerals that make oils like the Rotella t6 so great at longevity and protection. The make more ash as they don't fully burn and can/will clog the DPF over time.

My manual still says rotella so....

Users who are viewing this thread