5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reclining Rear Seat Problems

rustyjvan

Reaction score
I just noticed this problem as I was trying to show someone how my seats reclined. When seated in either one of the rear seats and operating the under-seat latch to recline it feels like something is preventing the seats from sliding into the recline position. You can feel the seat want to slide, but it feels like seat backs (uprights) are hung up. Upon further inspection, I folded down the rear upright by pulling on the small release lever to see if I could find an issue and sure enough it seems the upright latch has wore a small notch preventing the seat from reclining. I should point out that once the back of my seats are unlatched the rear seat reclines as intended, and will even operate with the upright re-attached as long as I do not put the seat into the furthest upright position. Once I do it is "locked" in place. Anyone else have this issue?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just noticed this problem as I was trying to show someone how my seats reclined. When seated in either one of the rear seats and operating the under-seat latch to recline it feels like something is preventing the seats from sliding into the recline position. You can feel the seat want to slide, but it feels like seat backs (uprights) are hung up. Upon further inspection, I folded down the rear upright by pulling on the small release lever to see if I could find an issue and sure enough it seems the upright latch has wore a small notch preventing the seat from reclining. I should point out that once the back of my seats are unlatched the rear seat reclines as intended, and will even operate with the upright re-attached as long as I do not put the seat into the furthest upright position. Once I do it is "locked" in place. Anyone else have this issue?

A few have and I think @SpeedyV had the cab wall brackets replaced for this. I seem to recall some others filed down the notch to make them work as intended.

stevestrike

Reaction score
I had to bring my truck back to the dealer for repair on a similar issue--might be the same.. They replaced parts and now my seat reclines normally

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep - you can find some older threads detailing this issue. In my case, the passenger side was repaired simply by replacing the slide bar. The driver’s side was worse, requiring the slide bar to be replaced a second time and the jaws of the catch to be replaced or filed down - they were machined too aggressively at the factory and would “bite” the slide bar if not perfectly aligned.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi rustyjvan,

I'm sorry to hear of the concern you are currently experiencing with your truck. We kindly recommend addressing this with your dealer if you have not done so already, as they are in the best position to provide assistance. Please know that our team is just a private message if you are in need of any additional support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine were very stiff when I first got them too - I was asking the salesman, "I thought you said these rears recline" ..
We ended up working them a few times and stowing the bottoms upwards and then I grabbed some DrySlide and lubed the tracks .. I haven't had but a couple people back there and they hadn't complained that they were stiff again.

Users who are viewing this thread