5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall of High Pressure Fuel Pump

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my oil changed today and asked about it. My local dealer told me sometime last year that they put me on their list for the recall and would call me as soon as they got the part in.

The guy went in the back and came back out and said there are 250 of the new pump on nationwide backorder.

I don't know what that really means. Except I guess I'm still waiting to get the recall done...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dropping Mine off on Monday. How do I know they actually put the new updated pump in vs. just new version of what's currently in it? Any visual differences?

They look identical. You can request to see your old pump to inspect it.

I don't know the details of this particular recall, but the CP4.2 change in the HD's mid 2020 that went from an asymmetrical cam lobe to a symmetrical cam lobe and was identifiable by the presence of a "large dimple" present on the pump body in addition to a number of all small dimples on the old pump. Those dimples representing plant and lot codes. There was no initial recall and only failures were replaced with the new pump design. Of course, this whole fiasco was short lived as the new pumps were also experiencing high failure rates, and they eventually abandoned the whole thing and issued a recall to replace them all with (a new version of) the tried and true CP3.3. The 19-20 trucks that received the recall required an adapter plate and a few other adapted components, copied directly from S&S CP3 retrofit kit. Cummins engine plant actually bought one from him and basically reverse engineered it (with his knowledge.)

I know there's an aftermarket CP4.2 with an internal bypass design, maybe S* did something similar.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my oil changed today and asked about it. My local dealer told me sometime last year that they put me on their list for the recall and would call me as soon as they got the part in.

The guy went in the back and came back out and said there are 250 of the new pump on nationwide backorder.

I don't know what that really means. Except I guess I'm still waiting to get the recall done...
Over 6000 pumps in the Chicago PDC alone. They are not on backorder.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102_192357_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_192357_Chrome.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 36

stronbl

Reaction score
Curious to what work will be done as a result of the recall replacement HPPF ... I am assuming the actual pump and gaskets etc but what about fuel lines, fuel filter, electronic controls, and the like? Seems like this would be a good time to have the fuel filter replaced at a minimum. Thanks in advance.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious to what work will be done as a result of the recall replacement HPPF ... I am assuming the actual pump and gaskets etc but what about fuel lines, fuel filter, electronic controls, and the like? Seems like this would be a good time to have the fuel filter replaced at a minimum. Thanks in advance.
See post #298

70runner

Reaction score
Color me reluctant to bring in my running just fine for 20K EcoD for the HPFP transplant. Not a big fan of dealers anyway. Will keep running Hot Shot with fillups and watch how this recall progresses.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Color me reluctant to bring in my running just fine for 20K EcoD for the HPFP transplant. Not a big fan of dealers anyway. Will keep running Hot Shot with fillups and watch how this recall progresses.

It will help with pump lubricity, but we've had some Cummins guys reporting HST may be contributing to more frequent regens. Not the primary cause, but it's not helping.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Totally confirmed. Went in today. Parts on back order until at least Jan 30 I was told. So much BS for parts available. Lmfao.
Over 6000 pump kits in Chicago pdc alone, how are they on backorder?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102_192357_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_192357_Chrome.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 14

tom318

Reaction score
I feel the same way. 88k with no additives ever and no issue but this failure is catastrophic. I travel all over and often with my family and young kids…..a failure like this in some of the remote areas we go with the whole family would just suck. So hopefully their fix is actually good…..

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Over 6000 pump kits in Chicago pdc alone, how are they on backorder?
I dunno man?? What I was told at the dealership and they booked me tentatively for end of Jan for an appointment. Also said there were 3 parts - 1 being the pump - required so maybe its not the pump but something else? Dont know for sure - just relaying what I was told - and Im up north in Canada - near Toronto.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dunno man?? What I was told at the dealership and they booked me tentatively for end of Jan for an appointment. Also said there were 3 parts - 1 being the pump - required so maybe its not the pump but something else? Dont know for sure - just relaying what I was told - and Im up north in Canada - near Toronto.
Same parts as USA recall(other than the French label/printout), 1 part is printed off Stellantis dealer website. The only issue the other parts are on restriction and can be ordered 1 every 7 days.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same parts as USA recall(other than the French label/printout), 1 part is printed off Stellantis dealer website. The only issue the other parts are on restriction and can be ordered 1 every 7 days.
OK so i called back and they indicated the pump is good to order but one of the other 2 parts is on restriction/backorder? Don't even know what part it is and they wouldn't tell me.......

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK so i called back and they indicated the pump is good to order but one of the other 2 parts is on restriction/backorder? Don't even know what part it is and they wouldn't tell me.......
Most likely the French label that goes in the door jamb.

MXZGUY

Reaction score
I am following here. Good to know they are starting to get the fix in now. Wonder what time frame is once you take your truck in to change pump? 1.5 hours???
Or should I ask what is Ram allowing for the Tec to change out the pump to the new one??

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am following here. Good to know they are starting to get the fix in now. Wonder what time frame is once you take your truck in to change pump? 1.5 hours???
Or should I ask what is Ram allowing for the Tec to change out the pump to the new one??
It's 1.8 hrs I think is what the job pays. Remove pump, 2 lines, time the pump, swap gear, install pump and lines.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's 1.8 hrs I think is what the job pays. Remove pump, 2 lines, time the pump, swap gear, install pump and lines.

That is SO much better than having to remove and replace every part of the fuel system after the original pump shreds itself and contaminates the entire fuel system.

A quick pump swap...yeah, on Monday I'll be calling my dealership to schedule mine.

MXZGUY

Reaction score

Thanks for the Info.

Now the next question here is anyone that gets the new HPFP installed I am curious if your mileage will stay the same or change some.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the Info.

Now the next question here is anyone that gets the new HPFP installed I am curious if your mileage will stay the same or change some.
Why would it change? It's a mechanical device that delivers high fuel pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online