5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall of High Pressure Fuel Pump

daustin

Reaction score
Yeah now imagine that fuel system failure happened out of warranty and you had to come up with $12k or whatever the going rate is for that repair these days. It's terrifying. One of the reasons I didn't stay with the diesel.

With it being a recall, even if it happened out of warranty wouldn't FCA be required to cover it now?

Logged into Mopar.com today and saw that mine is included now as well.

There is a "Submit Reimbursement" button on the view details screen of the recall if you paid out of pocket to have it fixed.

Additionally, it is a safety recall, which Mopar defines as "Safety recalls include any problem encountered with an FCA US LLC product related to the safe operation of the vehicle or the safety of the occupants. FCA US LLC will correct the problem, at no charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty and you are not the original owner."

So, looks like people could get reimbursed and warranty status has no bearing on them fixing it for no cost to the owner.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put my vin number and the Z96 recall does show for my Rebel, no fix yet, but I found this document saying that notifications will be sent in December and the repair will be in the second quarter of 2023, that’s a long time, it also states that there’s been over 200 warranty claims since 2019, so expect the claims numbers to up, as of now the failure rate is quite low, 0.33% but that percentage might increase as the vehicles get older. It also states that the problematic pump hasn’t been installed since May of 2022.

My 2020 Rebel Diesel has 64,000 km (40,000 miles) and no issues yet, we planned a 10,000 km (6,000 mile) trip in the spring towing a small travel trailer, I would hate for the pump to fail during my trip.

I might call the FCA 1 800…number on Monday to see what they would suggest to do in the meantime before the recall fix, I will ask if it would be a good idea to use diesel fuel additives, I am curious to see their opinion. I haven’t been using additives but I know many of you diesel owners have been. 63CE2679-2955-4F77-93EB-8B80D8489B1A.png

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is involved in changing the HPFP in these trucks?

Does the engine have to be pulled, or can it be swapped in situ?
Its right on the front of the engine, upper right side, follow the thin metal pipes that are the high pressure fuel rails.. Engine shouldn't need to be pulled, but they are gonna have to take a LOT off to get to it.

Reactions: c3k

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can’t say it’s surprising. This issue is consistent regardless of manufacturer since the introduction of ULSD.

The issue is consistent with the introduction of the CP4 to the US market and ancillary to the use of ULSD. While it's true the Euro's don't have the higher failure rates, the CP4 is a poor design that uses a single chamber for both lubrication and fuel supply. The CP3 uses separate chambers, one for cam lubrication and one for fuel supply. I am thankful the Stellantis stepped up and recalled all the Cummins HD trucks and I got mine done back on 6.7 day (June 7), Unfortunately, the 2019 guys are still working through some (software) issues. Ford still uses the CP4, GM ditched it years ago for Denso.

Mikent

Reaction score
Not sure anyone has an answer but I’ll ask. I have a 22 Ecodiesel that’s built and somewhere in the shipping process. Any idea which pump is used on new builds?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just ran the VIN number and it said there weren’t any open recalls. Hopefully this means my truck has the replacement fuel pump from the from the factory. Thank you for the link to Ram.
Mine either, which makes me happy (for now).

Fillet1

Reaction score
Just ran my vin on mopar site for my 22 eco. It has the recall listed but says no parts available…..

n8zcc

Reaction score
Not sure anyone has an answer but I’ll ask. I have a 22 Ecodiesel that’s built and somewhere in the shipping process. Any idea which pump is used on new builds?
From what was posted on Mopar Insiders, there is a date range involved;
31,794 units of the Ram 1500 built from May 29th, 2019 to January 21st, 2022

I don't show a recall on mine and I was built towards the end of the timeframe. Keeping my fingers crossed.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its right on the front of the engine, upper right side, follow the thin metal pipes that are the high pressure fuel rails.. Engine shouldn't need to be pulled, but they are gonna have to take a LOT off to get to it.

Thanks (currently far away from the truck...)

tom318

Reaction score
Has anyone seen any mention of max mileage/timeframe on this? Being its a recall and not just a warranty extension on a part, does that mean they will replace this regardless of how many miles I've actually done?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So they have still not announced what the fix will be? The Cummins guys were all up in arms about that…they didn’t want another CP4 to be bolted on which is understandable. Thankfully Cummins stepped in and basically said we’re not going to ruin our awesome reputation over you guys wanting to pinch pennies (the CP4 is cheaper to produce) so they ended up retrofitting those with a pump similar to the CP3. Will the EcoDiesel get a different pump also? Or just another CP4?

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So they have still not announced what the fix will be? The Cummins guys were all up in arms about that…they didn’t want another CP4 to be bolted on which is understandable. Thankfully Cummins stepped in and basically said we’re not going to ruin our awesome reputation over you guys wanting to pinch pennies (the CP4 is cheaper to produce) so they ended up retrofitting those with a pump similar to the CP3. Will the EcoDiesel get a different pump also? Or just another CP4?
I am or was a hard core Cummins fan, but not so much any more. In my opinion, Cummins LOST their “awesome reputation” when they put the CP4 on the 2019 highly anticipated updated new and improved HD trucks with the 6.7 in the first place. Sold my 2019 for this exact reason.
Ended up trading for a 21 1500 5.7 and also 22 1500 5.7 a little later. Like the ride and handling of the 1/2 ton, plus not adding that stinky diesel fuel additive, but need another 1 ton. My 06 2500 with good ole CP3 sometimes ain’t enough.
Cummins definitely lost a lot of people with their CP4 decisions. Left a lot of people stranded on the side of the road towing heavy stuff... don’t know if they will get it back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread