5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel vs Power Wagon

Which one?

• Rebel

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Power Wagon

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

HailState

Reaction score
Just wanted to get opinions on which truck you would rather have for a daily driver, occasionally tow mild weight and occasionally go “off-road” but nothing crazy.

I currently have a 2020 loaded Rebel but I really like the 75th Anniversary Power Wagon.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would recommend you drive a heavy duty before making your decision. The 1500 is like a sports car in comparison. Also, the Power Wagon package does moderately effect the towing/load rating of the 2500, though you mention that's not a big deal.

The big advantage of the Power Wagon is the off-road capabilities with solid front axle and lockers front/rear, disconnecting sway bars and Warn Wench. But if you don't off-road nothing crazy, then that isn't a big selling point for you.

So that leaves the looks, which is awesome on the PW. You have to weigh that awesome look with the inconvenience of using that package on the daily drive, less convenient size along with even lower mpg than your Rebel.

For me, if I had the space and an extra $15,000 or so over the price of my Rebel, I would go with the PW.

Rexx

Reaction score
From what you describe, it sounds like the rebel will fit your needs better. That said, the PW is a nice truck, take one for a test drive before you make the plunge.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
"Mild weight" may end up higher than a 1500 can handle. There are a bunch of threads about it, but if you have 4 adults in the cab, you can't have a whole lot of tongue weight. Look for threads about loading stickers and trailer weights and really look at the trailer you'll be hauling.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a loaded up powerwagon, door sticker payload: 1,151lbs.
The doorsticker on my Rebel, and it's not a record: 1,308lbs.

A 1500 is not a heavyduty truck. BUT, they are VERY close on their payload capacities, they are in the same league in that regard.
If they have a tie in terms of towing, I would give the advantage to the Powerwagon, as it's an HD truck axles/brakes/etc wise.
The Rebel is not.

I LOVE the powerwagon, awesome vehicle.
Compared to a rebel?
- More expensive, heavier, longer, same size tires stock, smaller fuel tank (31g vs 33g), possibly lower payload, harder to park, slower to accelerate and on the highway, likely less comfortable, parking decks are probably out.

What it has over the rebel?
It's probably better at towing if we're being honest, beefy solid axles, winch, payload might be higher on some models, and it's got more offroad doo-dads, it looks super cool, and "Powerwagon don't caaare!"

Verdict? Get what you feel like getting!
The Rebel, powerwagon, and TRX; if I had lottery money I'd probably own all 3.

DeckArtist

Reaction score
I looked at a Power Wagon and a Rebel and ran the vin on both when I got home....the Power Wagon tow rating was under 9000 pounds.

The tow rating on my Rebel is 11,350 pounds. It’s not whether or not I would actually tow that much (I normally tow around 5 to 6000 pounds at a time) but the added capacity and the lower cost of the Rebel influenced my decision quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So let's discuss. My vote is Powerwagon. Cause if I am buying either of them...they will go offroad. And the Powerwagon goes offroad better. And the wagon gets the 6'4 bed with crew cab.

So about capacity. Let's look at this.
Screenshot_20201115-204018.png Screenshot_20201115-203632.png so what do these numbers mean.

First lets look at the trucks actual capacity.

Rebel is GVWR 7100 and GCWR 17000
Powerwagon is GVWR 8650 GCWR 18000

With this info we can find base weight

Rebel is 5494
Powerwagon is 7157

So the Powerwagon weighs 57lbs more than the Rebels GVWR

So. Now let's look at the towing lie...i mean rating.
17000 minus the Rebel is 11506. So as you can see...that is not the trailer you can tow. It is all the weights combined. It is an empty truck. You need atleast a hitch and driver. You can not tow 11506 with this rebel.
18000 minus the wagon is 10843. So you can see that tow rating is wrong. But again...you can not tow this as you need a driver and a hitch.

So basically you are at about a 7000lb camper max for both.

The Powerwagon is gonna tow that camper 10 times better than the Rebel.

But me personally. I would get the Tradesman with Powerwagon package and then you can tow and haul more than a rebel.

Powerwagon.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
How does it tow 10 times better? I do not tow so i know about as much about towing as I do about herpes. I have never had herpes, so all i know is when people joke about it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
10 times is not relative. Just an expression.

Okay. Both rebel and wagon towing 7000lb trailer. Both have 2 passengers and some gear in the truck. Lets say 500lbs. So the REBEL weighs 5994lbs and 7557 for the wagon. So the wagon weighs more than the trailer. Very stsble tow when the tow rig and camper weigh near the same. Also the Powerwagon has stronger axles bigger brakes and a stronger frame.

This all makes the wagon the better tow rig.

Hope that makes sense. Seems this is all I do explain how tow ratings are wrong and that a 1500 is a 1500 for a reason and there is a 2500 and 3500 for a reason.

The Powerwagon is a HeavyDuty and has all the same equipment. Just the flexy suspension and disconnecting sway bars lower the capacity. The REBEL is just a 1500 with some offroad tires and awesome looks.

Rexx

Reaction score
But me personally. I would get the Tradesman with Powerwagon package and then you can tow and haul more than a rebel.

Powerwagon.
But would you still get the Powerwagon if you already own a 2020 Rebel and intend to mostly use it as a daily driver? Cause that was the original question.

HailState

Reaction score
So I started this thread just to see what the opinions would be from other ram owners. I really like the replies and I am not sure if I will trade but they are definitely both awesome trucks. I really like how the 2021 75th anniversary edition has the large center console instead of bench seat with shifter on the floor. I know I will definitely need to Test Drive a power wagon before I do anything.

Again thanks for the responses!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So let's discuss. My vote is Powerwagon. Cause if I am buying either of them...they will go offroad. And the Powerwagon goes offroad better. And the wagon gets the 6'4 bed with crew cab.

So about capacity. Let's look at this.
View attachment 74103 View attachment 74104 so what do these numbers mean.

First lets look at the trucks actual capacity.

Rebel is GVWR 7100 and GCWR 17000
Powerwagon is GVWR 8650 GCWR 18000

With this info we can find base weight

Rebel is 5494
Powerwagon is 7157

So the Powerwagon weighs 57lbs more than the Rebels GVWR

So. Now let's look at the towing lie...i mean rating.
17000 minus the Rebel is 11506. So as you can see...that is not the trailer you can tow. It is all the weights combined. It is an empty truck. You need atleast a hitch and driver. You can not tow 11506 with this rebel.
18000 minus the wagon is 10843. So you can see that tow rating is wrong. But again...you can not tow this as you need a driver and a hitch.

So basically you are at about a 7000lb camper max for both.

The Powerwagon is gonna tow that camper 10 times better than the Rebel.

Powerwagon.

I have the rebel, love it - and I agree 100%.
While the ratings say what they say, IMHO if you had 900lbs in the bed of the powerwagon and the rebel, and you drove both, you'd probably feel more confident doing it in the PW.
Towing the exact same weights with each truck, many would probably prefer the PW again if near the "max" of the trucks ratings.

For me as someone who does more unloaded driving than pure towing or "hardcore" offroading, the Rebel is a slamdunk no brainer.
A "diet" powerwagon experience, with pretty close capability on paper, and a better day to day driver.

But I honestly believe that aside from the desert high speed stuff? The Powerwagon is the offroader that many thought they were buying with a Raptor, once upon a time.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to get opinions on which truck you would rather have for a daily driver, occasionally tow mild weight and occasionally go “off-road” but nothing crazy.

I currently have a 2020 loaded Rebel but I really like the 75th Anniversary Power Wagon.
Since the primary use for this truck will be as a daily driver, it should be a no brainer to go with the Rebel. Add to that the fact that you won't be towing much weight when you do tow, and your off-roading will be mild, only makes the argument for a Rebel more solid. Of course, it's never that simple. Wants come into play as well, and the Power Wagon just looks better IMO. That alone might sway my decision to go with the PW.

The 76th Anniversary option adds almost $12k to the price. So you're at an MSRP of $68k without adding anything else to the truck. That's only $2k less than a TRX base price. I'd be seriously tempted to get the TRX if I was in that price range. But it's all about what you'll be using it for and what you want. And of course how much you're willing to pay for the truck.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Personally, I would only buy a 3/4 ton if I truly had a need for one. Likely worse gas mileage, not a given though. Stiffer ride, and just plain more cumbersome. A half ton suits my needs fine, but if you need the extra payload and towing capacity you ultimately will regret not getting it.

Users who are viewing this thread