5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel Gas Hog

19reb

I've noticed this too! Accelerate to speed very lightly? Poor gas mileage. Get up to speed quickly and stay there? Much better!

Makes sense though. The instant fuel economy while accelerating is like 3-5 mpg. It's better to get it over with quickly, than to drag it out.

Can you imagine telling an officer - "I know I took off fast, officer and I didn't mean to chirp my tires. But it's really the only way to get good gas mileage in this thing!" :)

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea if the truck can hold speed then you got something going on. Brakes or transmission maybe. The noise is normal lol, at least on all my hemi trucks.

Anyone with an etorque having weird squealing noise on start up? Or like this weird electric type noise when you get on throttle, almost like an amp wire would make from the stereo. It’s very weird.

Starting to get decent mileage though. Averaged 17ish on a 200 mile back road trip. Plus a hefty amount of beach driving while we were there.

And today pulling the empty U-Haul trailer at 60 it was showing 11-17 depending on the grades. Curious to see how it does with this trailer over a 1k Miles.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
My mileage has gone up since I've put more miles on my truck, but it's still not great. Was getting around 12-13 in the city. Now 9,500 miles later I'm getting around 14. I'm still only getting between 15-16 on the highway, cruising at 75mph.

edgarrian

Reaction score
My mileage has gone up since I've put more miles on my truck, but it's still not great. Was getting around 12-13 in the city. Now 9,500 miles later I'm getting around 14. I'm still only getting between 15-16 on the highway, cruising at 75mph.

I have 3500 on mine and I'm getting 16.5 on the highway. I don't do a lot of town driving so i can't comment on that. This truck gets better fuel mileage than my old Tundra. So ill take it

S

sbourne

I didn't buy a truck expecting to get car-like MPG - but that said, given the hype surrounding the E-Torque I was expecting better than 12 mpg around town. I understand why some people are disappointed. When I get on the freeway I am averaging about 15.9 which is respectable - all of this isn't bad news - it's just news - and info that some prospective buyers may want to know. Had I known that the MPG would be on the low side - I still would have purchased the truck. In return for the utility, the comfort, the off-road capability and the general badass good looks of the RAM I will gladly pay the price of gasoline.

edgarrian

Reaction score
I didn't buy a truck expecting to get car-like MPG - but that said, given the hype surrounding the E-Torque I was expecting better than 12 mpg around town. I understand why some people are disappointed. When I get on the freeway I am averaging about 15.9 which is respectable - all of this isn't bad news - it's just news - and info that some prospective buyers may want to know. Had I known that the MPG would be on the low side - I still would have purchased the truck. In return for the utility, the comfort, the off-road capability and the general badass good looks of the RAM I will gladly pay the price of gasoline.

I agree with you. To be honest I didn't pay much attention to the advertised MPG. I didnt consider getting the E-torque b/c its new tech and pricey to repair. The alternator is tried and true. Easy to replace. Seems a bit gimmicky to me but i can understand the draw to it

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it’s pretty solid, considering the electrical loads on today’s vehicles the alternator is just not going to cut it. And the start stop system is actually usable with the electric motor.

ww874

Reaction score
Mine has 3200 miles and I've been getting 13.5 - 14.5 around town. On LI where I live it's flat and I'm usually doing 60 - 65 on the highways and I get 17-18. If I travel to upstate NY through the mountains doing 75 then I'm at a bit over 16. Not the best gas mileage but not that much worse then my 2012 Ridgeline

edgarrian

Reaction score
I think it’s pretty solid, considering the electrical loads on today’s vehicles the alternator is just not going to cut it. And the start stop system is actually usable with the electric motor.

The electrical loads in vehicles today is probably bigger but nothing a alternator cant handle. Electronics have come along way. They are getting more out of them with less. So im not sure that the E-torque is benefiting todays electronics any better. I certainly don't have data to back that up but i guess it makes sense to me. I believe the E-torque was another 2000 dollar option. Is it justifiable? That really remains to be seen yet. I don't think guys with E-torque are getting any better fuel mileage than I am right now. Guys who have trucks aren't generally installing massive sound systems and those can have a bit of a draw but im talking massive systems. More than a 1000 watts. Heck today that's another added feature when purchasing a vehicle. A guy could certainly install a better sound system himself over buying a truck with already 1000 watt system. While these systems sound good they just don't compare to one with quality amps, speakers and speaker size and the boxes.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well without getting into a debate over the alternator and electrical systems, it’s also pretty cool in terms of how it interacts with the motor to give it a little “boost”. I like the half turn it applies to the tires when you let off the brake. And I could be wrong but in certain downshift scenarios it seems to spin the motor up as well.

If you were looking to buy specifically for saving gas then I’d agree with you, it’s definitely not worth the money.

AMarsh

Reaction score
As of a few months ago, I was ready to complain but just got a new job with a longer highway/mtn pass commute and I'm now getting between 17-19 mpg round trip (obviously down is better then up). I've even see the lifetime MPG hit 20 twice in the past few weeks. Definitely helps that I'm coasting/engine breaking for about 85% of my commute home.

I've been meaning to do my own calculations because I never trust the vehicle reports all the way.

edgarrian

Reaction score
Well without getting into a debate over the alternator and electrical systems, it’s also pretty cool in terms of how it interacts with the motor to give it a little “boost”. I like the half turn it applies to the tires when you let off the brake. And I could be wrong but in certain downshift scenarios it seems to spin the motor up as well.

If you were looking to buy specifically for saving gas then I’d agree with you, it’s definitely not worth the money.

This is E-torgue in a nutshell

Misinformation is already being passed around about the 2019 Ram 1500 eTorque – reports calling the new electrified version of the full-size half-ton pickup truck a hybrid and saying its eTorque system adds torque to the truck's engine increasing payload, towing capacity, and performance. Don't believe a word of it – this isn't a hybrid in the conventional sense of the word. eTorque does not increase the truck's power or capability. Instead, the system feeds in some electric torque at low RPM, which helps with fuel efficiency by spinning up the engine during start/stop operation, smoothing gearchanges, and harvesting some energy from braking – that's basically it.

When im in my truck and say im in tow haul mode. It will rev up the motor on a steep descent and then basically engine brake itself. I think this tech could be better if it was more utilized during normal driving. At least they are trying something different. Maybe then they can expand on this E-torque system. As of right now its underwhelming.

Ram19Va

Reaction score
There is no excuse for auto manufacturers NOT to have every light on a 2019 vehicle to be LED. It would make them so much brighter and reduce power consumption.
I love the LED headlights, and I replaced the cabin dome light, which is like a bright white sun when the doors are open now.

kjn86

Reaction score
Have been getting 14 driving very short distances with a lot of stopping, up from under 12 during the winter. Just did a 60-mile mostly freeway round trip and got 19.3 on the way there and 20.5 on the way back with family in the truck plus A/C on medium to high the whole time. I have a little over 3k miles on it. I have noticed it get better with time, but it also coincided with the improved weather too. I am pleased with my gas mileage now. I wasn't 6 months ago.

Tommy R

Reaction score
Have been getting 14 driving very short distances with a lot of stopping, up from under 12 during the winter. Just did a 60-mile mostly freeway round trip and got 19.3 on the way there and 20.5 on the way back with family in the truck plus A/C on medium to high the whole time. I have a little over 3k miles on it. I have noticed it get better with time, but it also coincided with the improved weather too. I am pleased with my gas mileage now. I wasn't 6 months ago.

I'd be pleased with those numbers, too!! LOL :) I've seen 20.5 mpg once....... Once. I had the cruise set at 65 and had about a 40 mpg tailwind (literally). On the way home into that tailwind, my MPG average had dropped to 13.5!

A small update on my truck:

So my Rebel just crested 7000 miles. MPG is slowly getting a bit better, but nothing significant. I may be closer to 13 around town, as opposed to 11 or 12. Highway economy is still hit or miss because it's SO dependent on the wind. If I'm cruising at ~65 MPH I've seen 17-18 MPG. If I'm cruising at 75-80 MPH, I'm likely looking at 14-15 MPG. This is corrected for the 1" taller tires and hand calculated. Even with a leveling kit and slightly taller (but less aggressive tires), I'd hoped and expected better. If I have a headwind or tailwind I can easily see a +/- 3 or 4 MPG swing. I now rarely find myself getting on the highway without looking for flags to see how the wind is blowing!

Granted, mine's a Rebel so doesn't have the deployable air dam up front and I suspect the overall aero is worse because of the hood, but that's just speculation.

My friend with a 2WD 2018 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost routinely gets *well* over 20 MPG in similar conditions. Now if his were 4WD....with a bit of lift....and a taller tire....and maybe his economy would be as bad as mine, but I'm skeptical. Again, I love everything else about my truck and I'm slowly coming to grips with the economy numbers.

edgarrian

Reaction score
I just went over 4000 miles and just broke the 18MPG mark. I probably won't continue to drive like an old man as I just wanted to see what i could get. Keep in mind its here in North Dakota. Rolling land with steep inclines and rolling hills. I have been trying to play the hills you know. Speed up a bit going down and slow down a bit going up. I did install a pedal commander on my truck along time ago. Im not sure if that would be impacting my MPG at all as I have it on Either high city mode or sport mode. Ill have to check. I know I have it on a higher setting than what most prefer.

41magmag41

Reaction score
Ive had my big horn with the 5.7, quad cab, 4x4, straight 8 speed tranny, 3.92 rear now for almost 6 weeks. Believe it or not Ive been getting between 18.4 and 19.8 mpg with all types of driving. I have 4800 miles on her now and I live in New Hampshire. She has seen 75 plus highway runs into the white mountains as well straight runs down to Rhode Island to see family. I have no complaints with her mpg. Its actually better than my 2014 4x4 double cab trd off road tacoma I traded on the Ram.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Ive had my big horn with the 5.7, quad cab, 4x4, straight 8 speed tranny, 3.92 rear now for almost 6 weeks. Believe it or not Ive been getting between 18.4 and 19.8 mpg with all types of driving. I have 4800 miles on her now and I live in New Hampshire. She has seen 75 plus highway runs into the white mountains as well straight runs down to Rhode Island to see family. I have no complaints with her mpg. Its actually better than my 2014 4x4 double cab trd off road tacoma I traded on the Ram.
The Big Horn and Rebel are two completely different trucks when it comes to their gas mileage and shouldn't be compared.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
mike of 45-55 highway and town driving, I am averaging 17.5-17.7 mpg....
got to keep your foot off the pedal, and stop mashing it... use the cruise where it makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread