5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel Gas Hog

crvttcrss

Reaction score
I have been noticing i am burning through fuel with this truck. Getting around 9 to 10 mpg around town. Owned a 2016 gmc sierra denali 5.3 and got around 15 to 16 mpg. Hopefully this thing gets better down the road. I understand its a truck and did not expect to get great mpg but this is nowhere near what the label quoted. I watched a youtube video with TFL trucks and they also found a issue with the mpg. I do not have the etorque but man you can literally see the gauge dropping as your driving. TFL video

Last edited:

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the EPA MPG to be accurate for your vehicle, it would have to be the same trim and configuration as the test vehicle. It would also need to be driven in the same manner. What we don't know is what trim level and what options the RAM had when tested.

Detailed info HERE
Here is sample test on how MPG is calculated.

1544135745965.png

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's the vehicle you were looking for @crvttcrss ... cq5dam.web.320.240.jpeg

I think anyone that starts MPG threads days after taking delivery of a truck with 33" tires and 400hp should have bought a Prius.

Honestly. Can we start locking down these MPG threads please, it's getting annoying.

crvttcrss

Reaction score
Here's the vehicle you were looking for @crvttcrss ... View attachment 10014

I think anyone that starts MPG threads days after taking delivery of a truck with 33" tires and 400hp should have bought a Prius.

Honestly. Can we start locking down these MPG threads please, it's getting annoying.
I think we found the forum bully here folks. I thought this forum was a way that owners can express concerns and questions and see if others are experiencing the same issues. Obviously you clicked on the thread. You could have passed over it if it was not something you were concerned about.

th3duke

Reaction score
I think we found the forum bully here folks. I thought this forum was a way that owners can express concerns and questions and see if others are experiencing the same issues. Obviously you clicked on the thread. You could have passed over it if it was not something you were concerned about.

Just my .02 (and pennies are obsolete in Canada) : While I don't necessarily agree with the tone or content of his post - this topic is definitely being discussed in depth in other threads. Accordingly I think people need to search a bit more before posting (in this case venting) about a topic that's being discussed at length.

th3duke

Reaction score
I have been noticing i am burning through fuel with this truck. Getting around 9 to 10 mpg around town. Owned a 2016 gmc sierra denali 5.3 and got around 15 to 16 mpg. Hopefully this thing gets better down the road. I understand its a truck and did not expect to get great mpg but this is nowhere near what the label quoted. I watched a youtube video with TFL trucks and they also found a issue with the mpg. I do not have the etorque but man you can literally see the gauge dropping as your driving. TFL video

You really can't compare the Sierra to the Rebel though (Apples to Kiwi's). I traded my 2017 Sierra SLT (basically a Denali without the fancy shocks), and while this truck is definitely harder on gas than my 5.3 - it's miles ahead in terms of torque/power and comfort. I definitely feel your pain, my 5.3 was very efficient compared to this engine.

th3duke

Reaction score
Agreed. I was a little quick on the trigger with the post.

No sweat at all, and welcome to the forum.

Sometimes what we put in writing doesn't always come out the way we meant it. I think you will generally find some very nice people on this board that will help, tease, and debate and usually respect our differences. Other than fuel economy - what do you think of the truck so far?

crvttcrss

Reaction score

Sometimes what we put in writing doesn't always come out the way we meant it. I think you will generally find some very nice people on this board that will help, tease, and debate and usually respect our differences. Other than fuel economy - what do you think of the truck so far?
Its a bad *** truck. I bought it honestly based on the appearance and will never be off road with it except for some snow here and their. Ram has come along way. Thanks!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apologies to all... bad day at work and took it out on the poor fella that posted the 67th thread on Rebel MPG.

I retract the harsh accusation that you need a Prius. Clearly you love your Rebel... but there is always a cost for love! ;)

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@VaderRebel isn't bad... but I understand his frustration about multiple posts on the same subject...
And as @th3duke stated, I think people need to do a search *before* they post and maybe try to read the manual.

We all like these trucks and are just a little frustrated over the numbers... a little more clarity up front by RAM would have smoothed over this issue.

Paulny

Reaction score
Luckily, my company pays for my gas. But, I will admit that if they didn't, I would be a little disappointed in the real world gas mileage vs posted. I will be taking delivery of my Rebel 12 any day now, and it will be interesting to see if my gas mileage is in line with others. Nonetheless, it's a big truck with 33" tires (as others have mentioned) so I expect the mileage to be fairly poor.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Luckily, my company pays for my gas. But, I will admit that if they didn't, I would be a little disappointed in the real world gas mileage vs posted. I will be taking delivery of my Rebel 12 any day now, and it will be interesting to see if my gas mileage is in line with others. Nonetheless, it's a big truck with 33" tires (as others have mentioned) so I expect the mileage to be fairly poor.

The reality is 13.5mpg is a number you should be expecting for the first couple thousand miles. The 5.7 improves after it breaks in. The Rebel is worth every drop of fuel in the smiles it will put on your face.

And if not, I'm sure you know of a Toyota dealer near by. And you'll love the mpg on the Prius, because they run on tears.

BWAAAHAHAHAHA! :p:p;)(y)

meltedcheez

Reaction score
The reality is 13.5mpg is a number you should be expecting for the first couple thousand miles. The 5.7 improves after it breaks in. The Rebel is worth every drop of fuel in the smiles it will put on your face.

And if not, I'm sure you know of a Toyota dealer near by. And you'll love the mpg on the Prius, because they run on tears.

BWAAAHAHAHAHA! :p:p;)(y)

I owe the purchase of my Ram to the Prius. My wife's negligence and the Total loss of the car opened the door to my beautiful new Ram!
RIP Prius (you won't be missed!)

meltedcheez

Reaction score

I love Canadians...always so polite and thoughtful!

geotex1

Reaction score
Forums aren't much different than bar conversations. Hot heads and bad days mix with the happy go luckies, serious pocket protectors, and Wall Street Journal crowd. Welcome to America folks! I wager I'm likely old enough to be most of the membership's father, if not grandfather, and can speak authoritatively when I say the easy button is today's norm over research and solving for oneself. So, tolerance makes the bigger person IMO. As they have right to post on a free internet forum, we also have choice to both read and respond to a post!

As for mileage, I'll admit I'm disappointed so far but my truck is still settling in. However, my 2014 Sport had the same powertrain combination and averaged 1.9 mpg more than my 2019 is over the exact same course and conditions. You can bet your socks as an engineer my data tracking isn't the average Joe's. I didn't trade up to a 2019 for mpg, but as an engineer I do believe in continuous improvement. Should the truck not settle in to equal or better than the 4th gen, I'd definitely point to FCA as a miss in that category.

S

Smashy71

I have a rebel non etorque and I’m averaging 15.3 and just went over 3,000 miles. My advice is to enjoy the truck and ignore the mpg. 3.92 gears with E load tires and it rides an inch higher than a stock ram. Do that to any truck and your mpg will go down.

Futta112

Reaction score
Mine sucks at the moment, but using winter gas blend, and warm ups besides. Getting 14’s. My 14 big horn got 14-16 like this. That had 34’s and a front end level on it. So, I’m not real surprised with mpg. Just hoping summer it gets around 18. I’d be fine with that.

harleyrae

Reaction score
I love my Rebel. I can afford the gas. AND I would have purchased with true gas milage shown except would have insisted on the bigger tank. I purchased my truck with all the upgrades on the sticker. I believed it was for this truck. I uderstand the statment of "actual results will vary for many reasons, including driving conditions and how you drive and maintain your vehicle". What I don't like is to be mislead.

NHREBEL2

Reaction score
This subject sure gets people fired up. If I needed a vehicle that was economical on gas I wouldn't have gotten another Rebel. Maybe a Ridge Runner or Taco, had one it got 16 mpg.
I got it because its a badazz pickup, muscle car and luxury ride all in one, and faster than my '16 Rebel.
I've had a Prius too, never again.

Users who are viewing this thread