5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel Gas Hog

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does everybody run Goodyear Duratrac's?

Sticky high rolling-resistance... ?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does everybody run Goodyear Duratrac's?

Sticky high rolling-resistance... ?

I'm running the factory tires, yes.
And I do think you're right.
I think they have good traction, they look great, they perform well, it looks like the trade offs are rolling resistance and howling/road noise.

ortvk

Reaction score
Bought mine end of november. Have about 3,600 miles on it non-e-torque and 3.92s. Been averaging between 14.8-16 mpg since i bought it. I'm ok with that. My Colorado only got me 17-19 for half the truck/fun!

RichT

Reaction score
lol, some of these terrible numbers are making me jealous. I'm lucky to get 11 in the city, but my commute is super short with many stops, so not too surprised. Highway getting about 16.

I already own a Prius, so save it. ;)

kjn86

Reaction score
lol, some of these terrible numbers are making me jealous. I'm lucky to get 11 in the city, but my commute is super short with many stops, so not too surprised. Highway getting about 16.

Same here. When I drive in the "city" with even reasonable stretches of 45-50 MPH without constant stop signs and lights, I get much better fuel economy. Got 13 today driving around looking for places to play in the snow with my kids. My wife's minivan gets 18 in the same type of driving and my Jeep Grand Cherokee got 15 so I am not surprised. I think the Rebel should come with different MPG expectations entirely, more like 15 city/20 highway for V8 eTorque and 13/18 for non. Everyone is stuck on that 17 low end number that was taken under perfect conditions with a truck that isn't lifted and has highway tires. The 15 low end then turns into 12 MPG under the worst start/stop conditions (not towing, of course). Everyone would feel better and go into it with the right expectations.

dannydyn

Reaction score
Can anyone please point me to an online source that lists MPG (as claimed on the sticker), between the V6, V8, and V8 eTorque?

Tommy R

Reaction score
Well, I did some searching on "Rebel MPG" and it lead me here. Like many, I'm rather surprised at the lackluster MPG numbers I'm seeing. First tank was 11.9 MPG, but admittedly I was enjoying the acceleration of the Hemi. This weekend I took a short road trip (Austin to Houston, about 180 miles each way in my case). I averaged 15 MPG on the way there and 13.9 on the way back. That was with the cruise at the speed limit: 70-75 MPH. As it sits, I've only got 700 miles on the clock. It's a far cry from the diesel economy I'd grown used to for the last 11 years in my '01 Cummins (maybe I shouldn't sell it after all!). I don't know if there's any kind of break-in that can happen that will improve this, but I'll lie to myself that it'll get better. ;)

I suspect the rolling resistance of the Goodyears is a big factor. It's technically an all terrain, but it's really aggressive for an all terrain. The Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my 3/4 ton are so much quieter and rolled smoother. I'm >this< close to yanking the Goodyears off for something else, but don't want to spend the money just yet. Has anyone tried a different/milder tire and seen improved economy?

And no, I didn't expect the economy numbers from the window sticker. This truck is taller and has steeper gears with taller (essentially) mud terrains. I know how all that affects fuel economy. However, I didn't expect my numbers to be only 2/3 of those EPA estimates. I hoped for a bit better and it's a bit of a bummer. Makes me wonder just how frequently I'll need to fill up when towing my Jeep since mine didn't come with the larger 33 gallon tank! :(

ortvk

Reaction score
Its a tough call. Looking at my window sticker again it states "Standard pickups range from 14 to 22 MPG . The best vehicle rates 136 MPGe." So 13.9 isn't far off. I'm ok with the 15-15.8 mpg I get given the size/weight/lift/tire situation. If I were to get a Big Horn or anything similar with a lift and bigger tires I feel like id be looking at the same mpg's.

kjn86

Reaction score
Well, I did some searching on "Rebel MPG" and it lead me here. Like many, I'm rather surprised at the lackluster MPG numbers I'm seeing. First tank was 11.9 MPG, but admittedly I was enjoying the acceleration of the Hemi. This weekend I took a short road trip (Austin to Houston, about 180 miles each way in my case). I averaged 15 MPG on the way there and 13.9 on the way back. That was with the cruise at the speed limit: 70-75 MPH. As it sits, I've only got 700 miles on the clock. It's a far cry from the diesel economy I'd grown used to for the last 11 years in my '01 Cummins (maybe I shouldn't sell it after all!). I don't know if there's any kind of break-in that can happen that will improve this, but I'll lie to myself that it'll get better. ;)

I suspect the rolling resistance of the Goodyears is a big factor. It's technically an all terrain, but it's really aggressive for an all terrain. The Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my 3/4 ton are so much quieter and rolled smoother. I'm >this< close to yanking the Goodyears off for something else, but don't want to spend the money just yet. Has anyone tried a different/milder tire and seen improved economy?

And no, I didn't expect the economy numbers from the window sticker. This truck is taller and has steeper gears with taller (essentially) mud terrains. I know how all that affects fuel economy. However, I didn't expect my numbers to be only 2/3 of those EPA estimates. I hoped for a bit better and it's a bit of a bummer. Makes me wonder just how frequently I'll need to fill up when towing my Jeep since mine didn't come with the larger 33 gallon tank! :(

Every other Ram 1500 trim has much better fuel economy tires and usually gets better fuel economy. The Rebel is only unique in the 1" lift (same as the ORP on other trims), which isn't going to crush fuel economy as much as the tires I'd imagine. It is no wonder the Rebel gets the worst fuel economy of all the Ram 1500s.

C

chuck1221

I am getting identical mpg with my bighorn with the ORP w/ 3.92's non etorque. Just finished a 250 mile trip with mostly 70 - 75 mph speeds, some 60 mph. Per truck I am at 15.9 mpg but when I hand calculate tomorrow I feel that's fairly optimistic. Short trips around home are as you said also. Considerably worse. Love the truck other than that so far though so I am ok with it. Oh and that's driving super easy on take offs and accelerating slowly. I've only gotten on it a couple times since new and I'm at about 1700 miles.

Jeff024

Reaction score
The e torque doesn't really help. My B trip hasn't been reset since leaving the dealer. The 6500 miles on my truck I'm at 15.4mpg avg. If I baby it I can hover at 16ish.

Reaction score
That TFL video is interesting, impressive mileage out of the Raptor EB motor. I wonder how well that will hold when Ford drops their 7.0/429 or whatever in the Raptor?

So far as the Rebel? Lift, off-road tires, different front end w/out air dam etc…the machine still needs broke in too, however the Rebel is far from a Prius, it will never do “well” in the fuel mileage department.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I hear ya. We haven't ordered yet, waiting for the 6'4" bed with RamBox, also maybe waiting for Ecodiesel Gen-2. But for the "town car" and short commutes, we'll be burning up the Prius instead of the new Ram.

Tommy R

Reaction score
Anyone experimenting with different grades of fuel to see if there's a difference?

I dropped the truck off this morning to get the brake controller installed and I asked about my mileage thus far. They said the mileage should improve after a couple thousand miles. I expect them to say that. I'm not sure I believe them. ;)

kjn86

Reaction score
Anyone experimenting with different grades of fuel to see if there's a difference?

I dropped the truck off this morning to get the brake controller installed and I asked about my mileage thus far. They said the mileage should improve after a couple thousand miles. I expect them to say that. I'm not sure I believe them. ;)

Few threads on this already. I will save you the time: some say it matters (like me), some say it doesn't. Both sides have tested it. I am of the opinion if they ask you to put in 89, it's better for the engine (certainly long-term). I noticed an improvement in fuel economy too.

Users who are viewing this thread