5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel Gas Hog

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I'd love to have some of the MPGs people are complaining about. I'm getting 11.7mpg since I'm in a "real" city with a light every 1/4 mile and traffic like an ant farm. Not to mention 34" tires (could have and should have went 35") and 2" lift.

I have no doubt that RAM got their advertised MPG based on the EPA requirements.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm getting ~14MPG in almost exclusively city driving!

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apologies to all... bad day at work and took it out on the poor fella that posted the 67th thread on Rebel MPG.

I retract the harsh accusation that you need a Prius. Clearly you love your Rebel... but there is always a cost for love! ;)
I see the problem! You don't show an exhaust upgrade on your signature. You need that hemi to have some rumble to get you through those sh**y days at work so your truck can put a smile on you face.....just a right pedal push away! :ROFLMAO:

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see the problem! You don't show an exhaust upgrade on your signature. You need that hemi to have some rumble to get you through those sh**y days at work so your truck can put a smile on you face.....just a right pedal push away! :ROFLMAO:
Never liked the "loud" truck theme. Unless you're upgrading to a supercharger, cai among other things, exhaust work adds sound only and my Rebel has me on perma-grin during the drive without more noise... it's when I kick up my feet with a beer and turn on the news or see the 67th thread on MPG's do I actually react to my "bad day".

But I agree 100%, if I could just drive around all day, I'd never have a bad day again!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never liked the "loud" truck theme. Unless you're upgrading to a supercharger, cai among other things, exhaust work adds sound only and my Rebel has me on perma-grin during the drive without more noise... it's when I kick up my feet with a beer and turn on the news or see the 67th thread on MPG's do I actually react to my "bad day".

But I agree 100%, if I could just drive around all day, I'd never have a bad day again!

2 Things

1) Vader, you were spot on a few months ago when you told me the springs on the Rebel were really really good - and that it wouldn't be like a massive dropoff from the air suspension. This thing still rides amazing!

2) I need exhaust. I'm with JHill, the right exhaust on the truck is so, so very enjoyable.
If you ever have a chance to go carve up and around a hill in a vehicle with a big V8 and a good tasteful exhaust setup?
Go for it.
Do it, it's just incredibly satisfying.
It's true I don't know if you have, but brother, i'm sayin', try it - it's so damn good and I believe you'll be hooked.

It's true, some aftermarket exhausts don't sound good. They don't.
Once you lock in on that good sound? It's great!

bsmith144

Reaction score
1) Vader, you were spot on a few months ago when you told me the springs on the Rebel were really really good - and that it wouldn't be like a massive dropoff from the air suspension. This thing still rides amazing!

This was a huge shocker to me also. Coming from a ‘14 with coils and C rated tires I figured the E rating on Duratracs and stiffer Bilsteins would make for a stiffer ride. Boy was I wrong! Night and day difference in smoothness with a nod going to the ‘19.

And to stay on par and not hijack the thread my truck seems to be in the 16ish range on the highway so far. If I get close to 18 after it breaks in it a bit more I’ll be happy. ‘14 got around 20-21 in good conditions.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was a huge shocker to me also. Coming from a ‘14 with coils and C rated tires I figured the E rating on Duratracs and stiffer Bilsteins would make for a stiffer ride. Boy was I wrong! Night and day difference in smoothness with a nod going to the ‘19.

And to stay on par and not hijack the thread my truck seems to be in the 16ish range on the highway so far. If I get close to 18 after it breaks in it a bit more I’ll be happy. ‘14 got around 20-21 in good conditions.

I think Ram did a ridiculously good job on the ride quality! If you told me to drive them back to back and did NOT tell me which is which? And you didn't give me the fob to raise or lower it? I do not know if I could tell them apart.
But I will payload test the springs, I don't think it will level like the air suspension (in non cold weather anyway!) nothing does.

MPG update for me, I'm at 13.6 City driving, I'm about .5-1mpg down from my Gen4 rebel (on identical roads), that rebel was on fully broken in BFG KO2 tires and with a broken in hemi.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@ChadT I never joke or exaggerate about ride quality, the Bilstein combo is fantastic and I would argue with anyone that disagreed. Glad you enjoy an aggressive exhaust note, been there done that my friend. I know the satisfaction of a great sounding exhaust, my 71' Swinger 340 sounded like it was ready for the Winston Cup (I refuse to call nascar by any other name, also shows my age) and I wasn't shy about stepping on the gas whenever I caught a look from someone.

But to be honest... I'm in and around noise all day, construction. Masonry construction. I love my whisper quiet Rebel cabin... love it.

bsmith144

Reaction score
Noticed today after I turned on my ECO light that it rarely comes on even when letting off and coasting. Heard in another thread that cylinder deactivation doesn’t kick in til a certain point after break in. On my ‘14 the ECO was flashing on quite regularly. Anybody hit a certain mileage before they saw the ECO show up more often? I think it’s goong to help drastically if cylinder deactivation isn’t part of the equation right now. I’m only at 140 miles so no I’m not getting excited. Love the truck so far.

Horkn

Reaction score
Here's the vehicle you were looking for @crvttcrss ... View attachment 10014

I think anyone that starts MPG threads days after taking delivery of a truck with 33" tires and 400hp should have bought a Prius.

Honestly. Can we start locking down these MPG threads please, it's getting annoying.

I know you've already apologized for this part, but it's totally true that ram should have been a bit more honest in the real expected mpg from the rebel, or any of the 3.92 geared Rams. How they are able to use the epa figures from some totally differently equipped ram that got 22 mpg in testing.

Having a 400 hp v8 in a crew cab 4x4 full size truck and getting better than 20 mpg at freeway speeds is not mutually exclusive. It appears all of the other brands can achieve this. The etorque does appear to help by a1-2 mpg difference in town, as well as helping driveability.

Also, there's nothing wrong with prius's. They just are made for a different purpose than a full size truck.;)

Gkmathiesen

"MAX"
Reaction score
Definitely different than my 2014 1500, with 3.25 gear ratio. However, I've got almost 6K miles on it, don't usually drive over 65MPH and I'm averaging 18-19 MPG. If I'm doing a lot of stop and go it will drop down to 16. I do have the Etorque though. I really believe it's how you drive. When I first go the truck I was also getting around 9-11MPG, but it corrected and averaged it self out fairly quickly.

SacRebel

Reaction score
I have to admit I’m very disappointed in the mpg I’m seeing as well.

I have a 2019 Rebel 4x4 with eTorque and I’m only getting about 11.5 mpg. Now granted it only has 500 miles on it and roughly 80% of those miles are city streets but this is the same mileage I was getting in my ‘04 Ram 1500, which I sold to buy this one.

I’m wondering if the EPA estimates are based on this truck or the standard 1500 with street tires.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m wondering if the EPA estimates are based on this truck or the standard 1500 with street tires.

They likely sent the most lightly equipped vehicle for testing...see EPA info below.

Which Vehicles Are Tested
Manufacturers do not test every new vehicle offered for sale. They are only required to test one representative vehicle—typically a preproduction prototype—for each combination of loaded vehicle weight class, transmission class, and basic engine.

Detailed Test Information
EPA tests vehicles by running them through a series of driving routines, also called cycles or schedules, that specify vehicle speed for each point in time during the laboratory tests.

For 2007 and earlier model year vehicles, only the city and highway schedules were used. Beginning with 2008 models, three additional tests are used to adjust the city and highway estimates to account for higher speeds, air conditioning use, and colder temperatures.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I agree, I thought it would get a little better gas mileage then I'm getting now. I had a 2014 Silverado (190,000 miles) with the 5.3L V8 and was getting between 15-22 mpg. Granted it's a smaller engine and different rear gears. I'll wait and see what she starts getting once I get the engine broken in, only at 1000 miles now. As of right now I'm seeing around 12.7 in city driving (have 6 minute drive to work) and 13.6 on last highway trip (averaged about 55-65 mph).
Also I started seeing my ECO light on with in a couple of days leaving the dealership. But you are right, it doesn't come on a whole lot.

Truckin

Reaction score
My last five trucks (King Ranch, 3 Raptor Supercabs, 16 Ram crew) all which were 4x4 with at least 33's (35's on Raptors) averaged 12.5-14.5mpg...The truck God's have spoken on mileage and this is what I have come to expect-at least the way I drive :)

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Getting 14.5-15 mpg on mine at 3700mi, city. Middle of winter here, should get better as spring gets here and temps warm up. No e torq on mine.

VenomBee

Reaction score
Getting 14.5-15 mpg on mine at 3700mi, city. Middle of winter here, should get better as spring gets here and temps warm up. No e torq on mine.

That’s about what I’m getting...It does seem to be getting better as I go...I just had the full synthetic oil change from the dealer and so far I’m at about 15 mpg with mixed city and highway driving. I have 5100 miles on mine. No E-Torq either. I’ll sacrifice a little with everyone always complimenting me on the Rebel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online