5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel Bilstein 3-more adaptive suspension

Jcan_422

Reaction score
Has anyone else wondered why Ram doesn’t have an upgraded adaptive damping suspension on their trucks like the hellcats do?
I can go from a smooth plush ride to an extremely stiff setting with the 3-mode suspension in the hellcat. It’ll make sense to do something like this to the Rebel, for example, to get a nice comfortable ride on the road and then have a stiffer set up for the trails. For me, the factory Bilsteins are pretty harsh. The roads in Houston aren’t the greatest and the stock suspension doesn’t soak up the bumps like I’d hope. I’m sure Bilstein could whip up struts/shocks with different modes like a street mode where it’s super soft, and then an off road mode where it stiffens up. I know, the ultimate goal is to obviously have a suspension like the TRX in there, but I’m wondering why Ram hasn’t at least added that flexibility in their suspension since the hellcats have had it since 2015.

Tika

Reaction score
It's all about cost.....most oem suspensions are basic and cheap....if they did offer a decent one you would be paying 3 or 4 times the cost you could do aftermarket for

Even a Fox or king with adjusters is just fine tuning....cant change the valving with clickers, street settings and offroad settings are opposite....always a compromise to do both well.......

mp1

Reaction score
Most of the time the manufacturer will give what kind of shock parameters they want for OE purposes, because this factors in to the overall cost of the vehicle and what the trim level is designed for.

Aftermarket base their shocks off of demand. Bilstein sells a ton more 5100s than it does 8100s per year. The cost for an aftermarket shock like what's on the TRX might be so high it could make it to where even fewer shocks would be in demand. Only a few people might want to fork over that much money, seeing as a set of 8112s/8100s will cost about $5k. A TRX like-shock may be even more. At that point Bilstein (or any manufacturer) would not see it as a good business practice to put a lot of money into design/ R&D without getting much in return.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Has anyone else wondered why Ram doesn’t have an upgraded adaptive damping suspension on their trucks like the hellcats do?
I can go from a smooth plush ride to an extremely stiff setting with the 3-mode suspension in the hellcat. It’ll make sense to do something like this to the Rebel, for example, to get a nice comfortable ride on the road and then have a stiffer set up for the trails. For me, the factory Bilsteins are pretty harsh. The roads in Houston aren’t the greatest and the stock suspension doesn’t soak up the bumps like I’d hope. I’m sure Bilstein could whip up struts/shocks with different modes like a street mode where it’s super soft, and then an off road mode where it stiffens up. I know, the ultimate goal is to obviously have a suspension like the TRX in there, but I’m wondering why Ram hasn’t at least added that flexibility in their suspension since the hellcats have had it since 2015.
They basically do in the air suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread