5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rearview Camera/Mirror

njt07

Reaction score
I absolutely love driving my new Ram, BUT two things so far that I have found minor issues with.

The rear-view camera has no marks to show spatial placement in relation to the truck. With the rear view mirror you can see the top of the bed if placed just so and you can see when its safe to change lanes. Yes I'm am used to using my rear view mirror nowadays, previously in the military i could drive all sorts of vehicles without and be find (but had a TC and/or ground guides).

Am I the only only one that wishes there were some markings on the camera screen like the backup camera to make changing lanes a bit safer?

BNeal

Reaction score
I don't really have any problems with the mirror. I use my side mirrors for lane changes. I love the mirror, especially when I have my BakFlip up and its covering my back window.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to drive my Baja Bug with a Wink 5 panel mirror.
It covered about 160º view. I could see out the driver's
window and the Passenger's window with it. I still had
all the inside pillars for reference though.

Malodave

njt07

Reaction score
As a quick clarification. I love the rearview camera (CHMSL Camera?) I find myself using it more often than not (in the 2 days I've owned it). All I'm talking about is that I have to do a quick, split second, assessment when I am about to change lanes and see a car to the left or right. yes I look over my shoulder, but its a very minor thing I wish was in the camera field of view so that I have a reference of where the end of the vehicle is in the rearview mirror.

coolidge

Reaction score
The rearview camera mirror is useless to me. I require reading glasses and it's a blur without them. Fortunately flip the lever to plane old school mirror mode and it's crisp and clear as day. So the fancy camera mirror is demoted to use only when there's something in the bed that blocks my view with the regular mirror.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rearview camera mirror is useless to me. I require reading glasses and it's a blur without them. Fortunately flip the lever to plane old school mirror mode and it's crisp and clear as day. So the fancy camera mirror is demoted to use only when there's something in the bed that blocks my view with the regular mirror.

Whatever is in the bed would probably block your view too, as
the camera is in the third brake light at the rear of the Cab.

Malodave

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I absolutely love driving my new Ram, BUT two things so far that I have found minor issues with.

The rear-view camera has no marks to show spatial placement in relation to the truck. With the rear view mirror you can see the top of the bed if placed just so and you can see when its safe to change lanes. Yes I'm am used to using my rear view mirror nowadays, previously in the military i could drive all sorts of vehicles without and be find (but had a TC and/or ground guides).

Am I the only only one that wishes there were some markings on the camera screen like the backup camera to make changing lanes a bit safer?
You mentioned there are two things that you have minor issues with. What's the second?

The issue you mentioned is the exact thing I thought when I first saw and read about the digital mirror. No references to anything. The digital mirror is cool and all, but I'm thinking I'm not really missing anything by not having it. You could always attach something like this in the rear corners of your bed... :p

Attachments

• Snow plow markers.JPG
    Snow plow markers.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 27

njt07

Reaction score
You mentioned there are two things that you have minor issues with. What's the second?

The issue you mentioned is the exact thing I thought when I first saw and read about the digital mirror. No references to anything. The digital mirror is cool and all, but I'm thinking I'm not really missing anything by not having it. You could always attach something like this in the rear corners of your bed... :p
Math, math is the second issue lol.

its also a very minor issue, but the slight surge after letting go of the brake is taking a little to get used to, but after a day I’m mostly used to it unless I’m paying less attention than I should be.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Math, math is the second issue lol.

its also a very minor issue, but the slight surge after letting go of the brake is taking a little to get used to, but after a day I’m mostly used to it unless I’m paying less attention than I should be.
Yeah, the maths can be hard lol.

I haven't noticed an issue with any surging after releasing the brake on my 2020 Laramie, but it seems like there have been people who had similar complaints. Does your hemi have etorque?

njt07

Reaction score
Yeah, the maths can be hard lol.

I haven't noticed an issue with any surging after releasing the brake on my 2020 Laramie, but it seems like there have been people who had similar complaints. Does your hemi have etorque?
Yeah it does, but its something I’ll get used to it as its not that big of a deal just something that caught me off guard at first.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whatever is in the bed would probably block your view too, as
the camera is in the third brake light at the rear of the Cab.

Malodave
So if it is in the 3rd brake light on the back of the cab, what happens if a guy wants to put a topper/canopy (Leer, Snugtop type) on to cover the bed of the pickup. Does that not render the rear camera/rear view mirror useless?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if it is in the 3rd brake light on the back of the cab, what happens if a guy wants to put a topper/canopy (Leer, Snugtop type) on to cover the bed of the pickup. Does that not render the rear camera/rear view mirror useless?
You got it. Makes that Technology Option a waste of money,
and the cap may not fit without the normal third brake light.

Malodave

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Easy enough, don’t buy it if you don’t see the value. Somehow we survived for decades without technology holding our hand. I don’t have it as mine is a 2019, but my experience with it in a Land Rover Defender was pretty nice.
Like a VMS, I wish there was a sort of industry standard to add a few things like a camera on a trailer but integrated. It’s not absurd, no different than CarPlay or your zwave or zig bee switches at home working with pretty much any home automation company.

Gary N

Reaction score
I have this (mirror display) camera on my 2021, my dream is to disconnect the camera and replace with a 5th wheel trailer camera. Since this mirror is nearly unusable
while towing it would be better served to me if I could use it as a display for my trailer camera. The current factory camera has a small square plug in
cable, does anyone know how I can convert a RCA or similar plug to this small square plug?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have this (mirror display) camera on my 2021, my dream is to disconnect the camera and replace with a 5th wheel trailer camera. Since this mirror is nearly unusable
while towing it would be better served to me if I could use it as a display for my trailer camera. The current factory camera has a small square plug in
cable, does anyone know how I can convert a RCA or similar plug to this small square plug?
You can’t convert that camera to analog RCA connector. Seeing how the regular rear view camera and the surround view rear camera get processed differently, I wouldn’t be surprised if the camera that is used for the digital mirror is the ONLY camera that the mirror is capable of displaying.

Users who are viewing this thread