5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

steindog

Reaction score
I asked separately, but both my service advisor and Ram told me the same two years/unlimited on replacement
Ok thanks. I'll be looking into this with both now that I know about it to see if I can get some clarity between now and the installation. Anyone else here concur with 2 years/unlimited on their new replacement rear window assembly? I sure hope this turns out to be the case since I'm only about a month from my 3/36 being over. Better yet would be the new window doesn't crack and leak like the original.

Reaction score
So been 2 weeks since I’ve been on here. Giving a little update on the damage to my truck after the dealership replaced my rear window. I have been in contact with my service advisor twice who was annoyed to hear from me and brushed me off saying the parts are being ordered. So when I called the dealer today to check on it they said the service advisor is out until next week. No big deal. However no one can’t find a paper trail or an order where he ordered the parts. I have been waiting two weeks and no one even ordered the parts. Now I am awaiting a call from the service manager that may or may not come. I called the 1-800 number with Ram who assigned me a case manager. They called me back and didn’t seem interested in helping, just stating that “you need to talk to the GM at the dealership”

It makes me so mad, we have been a Mopar family since the early 50s with my grandpa but this makes me want to buy another brand so bad. Terrible customer service from the dealership is bad enough, then turns out Ram themselves doesn’t care.
Rant over

fedegandara

Reaction score
Here is the part number they used on mine

I went to the dealership yesterday and I was giving the new part number that replaced the one you have 68426398AE - I have the craks and the window is leaking water on mine, I already replaced the 3rd brake light for the newest part and sealed around the antenna

1628186587199.png

fedegandara

Reaction score
So I was starting to put my rear seats back in last night after getting my truck back with the new window Mondan afternoon.

Part number on repair invoice 68303352AE which matches none of the parts on the STAR form

Found stickers on inside of lower window frame with following DTPH, 68426398AE, 513710AC, 10/29/20, 08:30, #0102, EXPIRES 01/27/21

And then another sticker with 10/28/20 21:19 DT Pwr Heated

So now I am more confused then every when it comes to the mystery of the back glass replacement saga
I went to the dealer yesterday, because I have to replace my window as well this is the part number they gave me 68426398AE, its supposed to be the newest

Synergy26

Reaction score
But what is the difference between the new and old? Had mine done a few weeks ago and it looks the same as the old minus cracks.

Redman24

Reaction score
Well can add another 19 to the list mine is cracked and leaking where everyone else’s time to have it fixed. I have the tsb and star case for the rear window but is there also tsb for the 3rd brake light and possibly antenna so can have it all replaced in one shot?

yellowboy

Reaction score
Probaly not I had all 3 done but 1 at a time they have to justify the parts and labor to Ram I doubt they would approve all 3 in one shot

Last edited:

bpwj76

Reaction score
Well, it appears that my replacement rear window is now leaking. I noticed some dried streaks on the driver's side. There are no cracks and the leak is in a new location from where the original was leaking. I cleaned the glass last night and will keep a close eye on it.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Mine replacement "did" too except it was misdiagnosed - IE- looks like the window leaks but could be coming from antenna or brake light. Water takes a path of least resistance.

IsaacB

Reaction score
I was just at a dealer for a leak in my rear window (drivers top corner), and I showed them with just a bottle of water that when I pour it on the top corner of the back side right above the window that it comes in almost immediately. They took it in back saying that they would open it up and try to find where it’s coming in from. over an hour later they came back and said that they cleaned my sunroof rail and brake light and that’s where they think it’s coming in at is the brake light.
Have any of you dropped the headliner yourself to see if you can spot where it is coming at from the inside? I’m fairly convinced that its coming in from somewhere in between the window corner and the weather stripping on the roof.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was just at a dealer for a leak in my rear window (drivers top corner), and I showed them with just a bottle of water that when I pour it on the top corner of the back side right above the window that it comes in almost immediately. They took it in back saying that they would open it up and try to find where it’s coming in from. over an hour later they came back and said that they cleaned my sunroof rail and brake light and that’s where they think it’s coming in at is the brake light.
Have any of you dropped the headliner yourself to see if you can spot where it is coming at from the inside? I’m fairly convinced that its coming in from somewhere in between the window corner and the weather stripping on the roof.
Someone else here had a leak there, poor weld or body glue not sure which. That piece of plastic weather strip is easy to remove and check the seam

IsaacB

Reaction score
Someone else here had a leak there, poor weld or body glue not sure which. That piece of plastic weather strip is easy to remove and check the seam
You know if you need any special tools to lift that piece? Or is it just pry on it and it just pops up?

Rando

Reaction score
Another window surround bites the dust. Dealer says they “need” the truck all day to diagnose the problem. Worthless. Ram recalling airbags today due to humidity during manufacturing/install. Makes me wonder about water next to rear airbags.

Attachments

• 6B166F94-82BE-45D5-AC67-2D646746F632.jpeg
    6B166F94-82BE-45D5-AC67-2D646746F632.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 50
  • A61D578E-D87A-41EE-9EC0-B432B11DDF14.jpeg
    A61D578E-D87A-41EE-9EC0-B432B11DDF14.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 51

steindog

Reaction score
Another window surround bites the dust. Dealer says they “need” the truck all day to diagnose the problem. Worthless. Ram recalling airbags today due to humidity during manufacturing/install. Makes me wonder about water next to rear airbags.
What details do you have about airbag recall? Specific year? Build date range? I don't see one listed on the Mopar site. Just curious where you heard this and if my 2019 will be in the group? Thanks

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
... airbag recall? please explain.

Edit: I learned how to use google. looks like the 5th gens aren't affected. PHEW

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What details do you have about airbag recall? Specific year? Build date range? I don't see one listed on the Mopar site. Just curious where you heard this and if my 2019 will be in the group? Thanks
It’s for “certain” 2500’s and 3500’s. And “some” Ram Classics 2015-2020. Doesn’t affect DTs.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s for “certain” 2500’s and 3500’s. And “some” Ram Classics 2015-2020. Doesn’t affect DTs.

Affected trucks include the previous-generation Ram 1500 for the 2015-18 model years; the similar (but rebadged following the latest-gen 1500’s introduction) 1500 Classic for the 2019-20 model years; and model-year 2015-20 Ram 2500 and 3500 pickups and chassis cabs. Current-generation Ram 1500s are not affected by the action.

Rando

Reaction score
Affected trucks include the previous-generation Ram 1500 for the 2015-18 model years; the similar (but rebadged following the latest-gen 1500’s introduction) 1500 Classic for the 2019-20 model years; and model-year 2015-20 Ram 2500 and 3500 pickups and chassis cabs. Current-generation Ram 1500s are not affected by the action.
Good news the DT’s aren’t included….yet. But like the takata air bag recalls I wouldn’t be surprised if the recall expands in the future to include other FCA/Stellantis products.

Users who are viewing this thread