5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Reaction score
Welcome to the current state of FCA dealership network customer service. I actually tried to get my driver's seat floormat replaced under recall, I keep getting notices from FCA, but their dealership service departments suck in actually getting it arranged.

As for the rear window crack, I am less than a year away from my bumper to bumper warranty that would cover it. I was considering getting an extended warranty from Mopar in case it doesn't crack before my original warranty ends, but from everyone I've spoken to, none of the extended warranties would cover it anways.

Even if it cracks while under warranty, I honestly think that I will simply fill the cracks with sealant instead of going through the invasive process of replacement, because I don't want to deal with the dealership doing to me what they have done to you. I'll seal the cracks from the inside top, then cover the interior cracks with some black tape and call it a day.
Yeah I bought the extended warranty that takes it to 77k miles when I bought the truck. Looks like I wasted money as I am seeing more things that it does not cover. This was my first new vehicle purchase after I graduated college. So I guess you could say I’m learning lessons the hard way.

What’s sad is I’ve had issues with the dealer since day one and multiple quality issues with the truck. My family has been a Mopar family since the 50s but definitely makes me consider leaving the brand.

Camelot

Reaction score
I had a leak on my new Limited that I found Monday last week. Dropped the truck of at my dealer on Tuesday (Last week), they replaced the rear window and resealed the brake light. Took them a day to get the glass. They did a great job and I cant tell they where even in the truck. I had it back Monday this week so it took a week, but they gave me a loaner. Will run the truck through a car wash this weekend to make sure it does not leak anymore. So far I am very happy with my dealer.........as long as it does not leak that is :)

• Wow
Reactions: c3k

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a leak on my new Limited that I found Monday last week. Dropped the truck of at my dealer on Tuesday (Last week), they replaced the rear window and resealed the brake light. Took them a day to get the glass. They did a great job and I cant tell they where even in the truck. I had it back Monday this week so it took a week, but they gave me a loaner. Will run the truck through a car wash this weekend to make sure it does not leak anymore. So far I am very happy with my dealer.........as long as it does not leak that is :)
****. Your window frame cracked on a 2021 already?!

• Wow
Reactions: c3k

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exactly why if/when mine cracks, I’ll be sealing it myself with sealant and calling it a day. I would much rather have the cracks that no one will notice instead of damage done by the dealer.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, just a leak, no crack from what I could tell.

Yours is the first 2021 leak I've read on this forum. What was your build/pickup date?

I've got a 2021 Laramie. It was at my dealer on May 7th... Wondering if I'll be facing this issue.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah I bought the extended warranty that takes it to 77k miles when I bought the truck. Looks like I wasted money as I am seeing more things that it does not cover. This was my first new vehicle purchase after I graduated college. So I guess you could say I’m learning lessons the hard way.

What’s sad is I’ve had issues with the dealer since day one and multiple quality issues with the truck. My family has been a Mopar family since the 50s but definitely makes me consider leaving the brand.

Yup, but that's pretty much how all extended warranties work, they rarely cover body, glass or even water intrusion.

To be honest, this is my first RAM, and it's been pretty flawless. I haven't been to the dealer since I bought it two years ago, but every attempt to going there for either oil changes or floormat recall has been frustration on the customer service side. Primary reason why I do my own oil changes now.

FCA dealers are pretty much in last place on dealership customer surveys, whereas Ford is somewhere in the middle and Chevrolet is near the top. If I was going to get another truck, I maybe looking at a Trail Boss (once they fix the interior), because their customer service appears to be vastly better than RAMs.

However, you should note that the same vendor that supplies RAM's rear glass also supplies GMs, and their rear window leak issues are just like ours. The difference is you are likely to get a dealer who will do a better job in fixing it.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I learned from my first poor CDJR dealer experience was that they are rated differently.

If you go on the website and search for dealers, some have the “Customer First Award for Excellence” logo. These dealers rate higher in customer surveys.

Not saying that they will be 100%, but they should be better than the dealers without the designation

BE4FD5F1-C2FF-40F3-8235-13806974D24B.png

SD Rebel

Reaction score
What I learned from my first poor CDJR dealer experience was that they are rated differently.

If you go on the website and search for dealers, some have the “Customer First Award for Excellence” logo. These dealers rate higher in customer surveys.

Not saying that they will be 100%, but they should be better than the dealers without the designation

View attachment 100737

I'll check that out, though the 7 or so FCA dealerships in my city don't exactly have great reviews on Yelp or Google, they are all consistently low. But definitely worth a try.

Edit: Nope, lol, not a single dealership has that in my area. That's 22 RAM dealerships in a 100 mile radius, zero!

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 100737
Thanks for the tip....none of the dealers within 100 miles of me have the Customer First Award....:cry::cry::cry::cry:

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll check that out, though the 7 or so FCA dealerships in my city don't exactly have great reviews on Yelp or Google, they are all consistently low. But definitely worth a try.

Edit: Nope, lol, not a single dealership has that in my area. That's 22 RAM dealerships in a 100 mile radius, zero!
Same for me......

Scram1500

Reaction score
Dealership reviews will weigh heavy on my mind when it's time for a new truck

steindog

Reaction score
Does the window manufacturer back up these windows for a period of time in a scenario where the window assembly is replaced in the last month of a 3/36 standard RAM warranty then fails again shortly after 3/36 rendering it not covered anymore by RAM? Would the owner be out of luck if the same failure happened soon after the replacement under RAM warranty but shortly after RAM warranty ends?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the window manufacturer back up these windows for a period of time in a scenario where the window assembly is replaced in the last month of a 3/36 standard RAM warranty then fails again shortly after 3/36 rendering it not covered anymore by RAM? Would the owner be out of luck if the same failure happened soon after the replacement under RAM warranty but shortly after RAM warranty ends?

Ram will warranty the replacement window for 2 years/unlimited miles

steindog

Reaction score
Ram will warranty the replacement window for 2 years/unlimited miles
Thanks for the info. How do you know this is the case? My service advisor is telling me if the window is replaced under the 3/36 and then fails after the 3/36 expires it's no longer covered and I would need to seek assistance from the manufacturer? My window is awaiting arrival and scheduling but trying to do my homework now. I do have an open case with FCA and an advocate assigned to it but haven't asker her about this yet.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. How do you know this is the case? My service advisor is telling me if the window is replaced under the 3/36 and then fails after the 3/36 expires it's no longer covered and I would need to seek assistance from the manufacturer? My window is awaiting arrival and scheduling but trying to do my homework now. I do have an open case with FCA and an advocate assigned to it but haven't asker her about this yet.

Your service advisor is wrong.

steindog

Reaction score
Your service advisor is wrong.
I certainly hope you're correct! That's why I asked what you're basing this information on? Just so I'm armed with the correct facts in case I need to have it out with him.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I certainly hope you're correct! That's why I asked what you're basing this information on? Just so I'm armed with the correct facts in case I need to have it out with him.

I already went through this with my window replacement. Talk to your advocate at FCA. They should set the dealer straight.

steindog

Reaction score
I already went through this with my window replacement. Talk to your advocate at FCA. They should set the dealer straight.
Ok thanks and will do. Were you able to get something in writing stating 2 years unlimited miles? Also was your dealer trying to say otherwise like my service advisor is currently doing? I wonder if he's just talking out his *** and doesn't know any better?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok thanks and will do. Were you able to get something in writing stating 2 years unlimited miles? Also was your dealer trying to say otherwise like my service advisor is currently doing? I wonder if he's just talking out his *** and doesn't know any better?

I asked separately, but both my service advisor and Ram told me the same two years/unlimited on replacement

Users who are viewing this thread