5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

bskubon

Reaction score
Had my back glass replaced yesterday by a local glass company. They didn't mess up anything on the interior, but they scratched the paint in several places and left excess adhesive in the upper left-hand corner on the outside. Why is it so hard to find people who give a crap?

Now to see if they actually sealed it good when it rains next time.
I’d be pissed and make them fix that crap workmanship!

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the call late afternoon and the window replacement has been approved. Now its a waiting game for the window to arrive. They did tell me they use a local glass shop for the repairs and they will schedule me with the other trucks that are getting window replacements... :oops:

bpwj76

Reaction score
I’d be pissed and make them fix that crap workmanship!
I've been down that road before and all I got was more crap workmanship. I totally get what you're saying though. They should fix it, but I don't trust them to do a good job.

The BMW dealer scratched the hood on my wife's X3 when replacing the wiper blades. I raised hell and they put me in a loaner while they sent it to the bodyshop. They did a terrible job with touchup paint. It was an eye sore until I fixed what they did.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Window finally replaced yesterday. Almost 10 weeks from my initial visit to getting it installed.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my truck back yesterday after a 2 day shop visit for, what I hoped was the last visit before my warranty is up. The new rear window design is WAAAAY better in my humble opinion, thicker frame and much better power window mechanism. The factory tint seemed about the same. The install seems flawless. That's the good news.

The bad news was the complete and utterly ridiculous quality fails for everything else. I had my third steering wheel installed, new lower driver seat cover and upper console repaired. The rear window installer forgot to replace the airbag covers... back in the shop. Drive away and notice a wire hanging from the loose bezel around the upper console... turn around 3 blocks away, back in the shop. But before the service advisor drove away, he pointed out that I hadn't noticed the steering wheel horn cover was about to fall off! How I missed that was beyond me.

Just happy to have my truck home, I parked it on the driveway and didn't look at it again until this morning. WTF. Back seat looked like it had hosted the World Hobo Wrestling Championships, dirt, handprints/boot prints, scuffs on the back of the driver's seat and what appeared to be spray marks as if the spray test was done with the rear window open at some point. Maybe for benchmark purposes? WTF.

I decided to do an exterior inspection at that point and was horrified to find my passenger door scratched and scuffed top to bottom, many down to the primer... just brutal. It was clear the person in charge of the water testing was clueless to the fact that there was something sharp on the hose. Monday morning I'm dragging the General Manager, Service and Body Shop managers out for a lesson in quality control and employee training.

Jbworth86

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Mopar step by step guide to removing and replacing the back sliding window? I want to see if taking down the headliner is one of the required steps. Thanks!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have the Mopar step by step guide to removing and replacing the back sliding window? I want to see if taking down the headliner is one of the required steps. Thanks!
My headliner was not removed during the installation.

Also, the body shop manager made good on all the damage and more, replaced any damaged parts and there's no evidence anything ever happened. 5*

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my truck back and the window frame looks very different so I am going to assume it is the updated part#. My invoice does not show the number.

The dealer I used had a local glass shop do the repair and they did a good job, no damage to my truck. My only complaint is they left a lot of hand prints around the window and body of the truck. Oh and there was some leftover goo on the lower shiny plastic of the window, easy to clean up.

Overall I am happy and fingers crossed it will not leak :)

And they fixed my glove box light, needed a new light and the part was back-ordered, but they got it and I finally have an upper glove box light after almost a year :LOL:

Synergy26

Reaction score
Got my truck back and the window frame looks very different so I am going to assume it is the updated part#. My invoice does not show the number.

The dealer I used had a local glass shop do the repair and they did a good job, no damage to my truck. My only complaint is they left a lot of hand prints around the window and body of the truck. Oh and there was some leftover goo on the lower shiny plastic of the window, easy to clean up.

Overall I am happy and fingers crossed it will not leak :)

And they fixed my glove box light, needed a new light and the part was back-ordered, but they got it and I finally have an upper glove box light after almost a year :LOL:
Can you post a picture of how it looks different?

R.Duff

Reaction score
Just went outside to 3m tape my rear dash cam back on since it fell off, put my hand up to steady myself and feel wetness. I guess it's a tiny crack as it's only very slightly damp but live in Raincouver so better get it dealt with asap. Hopefully the dealer doesn't fight it. It's only a year old. Any documents or case numbers I should give them so they can't try and say no?

cheers

20210527_181845.jpg

Billy738

Reaction score
Well I got my window installed, still no cracks. It rained the other day, and headliner soaked again. Took it to dealer. Said they didn’t find a leak with the water test. Went home, sprayed with a hose for 3 minutes and it leaked. They ordered me a 3rd brake light thinking that may be it. Took the light off. It’s not really wet in there, the seal is full of water though is that normal? Also noticed there’s a small piece of weather stripping missing on the window directly below the light. Is that normal?. Will post pic later

yellowboy

Reaction score
Well I got my window installed, still no cracks. It rained the other day, and headliner soaked again. Took it to dealer. Said they didn’t find a leak with the water test. Went home, sprayed with a hose for 3 minutes and it leaked. They ordered me a 3rd brake light thinking that may be it. Took the light off. It’s not really wet in there, the seal is full of water though is that normal? Also noticed there’s a small piece of weather stripping missing on the window directly below the light. Is that normal?. Will post pic later
Check my thread out "rear window leaking"............... the dealers are guessing at this , best fix is to cut off everything above the top of the door sills and replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online