5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Billy738

Reaction score
Took mine to dealer. Getting a new 3rd brake light as well as rear window. They tried to tell me that the crack on the frame inside is supposed to be there. Had to argue a bit, but should be getting that too. I heard that it comes with the new window anyway is that true?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took mine to dealer. Getting a new 3rd brake light as well as rear window. They tried to tell me that the crack on the frame inside is supposed to be there. Had to argue a bit, but should be getting that too. I heard that it comes with the new window anyway is that true?
Window and frame comes as one piece.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
New window and 3rd brake light installed... all works as it should and crack free thus far. We’ll see.... part numbers listed for reference....

Attachments

• 53041088-5EE9-4FE8-94E6-AE59B3B2979F.jpeg
    53041088-5EE9-4FE8-94E6-AE59B3B2979F.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 65

19 North

Reaction score

MxRacer965

Reaction score
Mine has 2 cracks, not leaking, and FCA denying coverage. “Cosmetic issue”. Mine is on a CPO 3M/3K warranty right now and a 12M/12K Max Care since it is out of factory warranty and neither apparently will take care of it. Bummed about the outcome, I figured buying CPO with 2 warranties if I ran into any issues I’d be covered but that isn’t the case I guess. I suppose I just have to live with it, try to seal it myself if/when it leaks, and if that doesn’t work I’ll just have to pay out of pocket at a glass place.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Had my back glass replaced yesterday by a local glass company. They didn't mess up anything on the interior, but they scratched the paint in several places and left excess adhesive in the upper left-hand corner on the outside. Why is it so hard to find people who give a crap?

Now to see if they actually sealed it good when it rains next time.

Attachments

• Rear Window Scratch 1.jpg
    Rear Window Scratch 1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Rear Window Scratch 2.jpg
    Rear Window Scratch 2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Rear Window Scratch 3.jpg
    Rear Window Scratch 3.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 111

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Rear window replaced in Feb. I noticed the other day the c-pillars were scratched at the screw hole by a pry tool and I hear a clicking noise when I open and close the rear window.

Brought it into the dealer today expecting a quick tightening down of the rear window cable and replacement of my pillars (they already ordered the news ones).

Instead I left with a loaner. Apparently my rear window may have to be removed and inspected to try and fix the issue.... yay!
Aaah man! Sorry

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
Had my back glass replaced yesterday by a local glass company. They didn't mess up anything on the interior, but they scratched the paint in several places and left excess adhesive in the upper left-hand corner on the outside. Why is it so hard to find people who give a crap?

Now to see if they actually sealed it good when it rains next time.
Holy crap dude. That is just wild. Are they well reviewed on anything? That is some straight incompetent BS. Are they going to fix it?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

bpwj76

Reaction score
Holy crap dude. That is just wild. Are they well reviewed on anything? That is some straight incompetent BS. Are they going to fix it?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I'm not going to let them fix it. I'm going to remove the excess adhesive and touchup the paint myself. I know I can do a good job. The dealership was very apologetic and gave me a paint pen.

The glass company has good reviews and I've used them before and have never had a problem like this.

On a positive note, it rained pretty heavily here yesterday and there are no leaks.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the StarPart Tech Tip Sheet & Picture of the Torx screw Part# 6036802AA
(THIS IS FOR 3RD BRAKE LIGHT REPLACEMENT)

I will post a picture tomorrow of the 3rd Brake Light with the Torx screws/bolts installed tomorrow....
New vs old screw.
The new screw head is a torx and slightly smaller in length and DIAMETER, while the old is a philips head. The old washer (white) can spin against the screw head and is the same size as the new (black) in diameter.
So it seems they made the washer hole tighter with the screw head diameter slightly smaller perhaps to make a tighter seal. Finding a torque wrench that goes to 2.8nm might prove interesting.

I have had the original screws in with several car washers and rain showers with no issues. Without knowing the differences I opted to purchase the new screws and replace.

I had no problems with water leakage but decided to be proactive and change to the new 3rd brake light design and screws.
Over thinking the screws??????????

If you do change out the light/screws think about putting a towel in the space between the bed and cab. Dropping a screw there may prove difficult to retrieve and delay your replacement. May not be that difficult if you have the right magnets around though. Live and learn!

Thanks to all the CHMSL tags.

1620673872363.png

jrmitt808

Reaction score
Truck has been at the dealership (glass shop) since Wed. I have the new backlight (still leaked) and now they have installed the rear window. Guess what? Still f'ing leaking. They're still trying to find out where the leak is coming from.

Of note: this has been an issue since Jan.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
Truck has been at the dealership (glass shop) since Wed. I have the new backlight (still leaked) and now they have installed the rear window. Guess what? Still f'ing leaking. They're still trying to find out where the leak is coming from.

Of note: this has been an issue since Jan.
This is where I think we all need to make sure to post what the manufacturing date is on the glass, see if we can narrow down any better the dysfunctional period of production.

Users who are viewing this thread