5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

SadiEJays

Reaction score
Curious? Sorry I have read a good bit, but not all 1700 post. My trucks build date is 12 20. Would it have the same window that is prone to leaking cracks? I read some stuff that the replacements need a november 2020 date, so thats why I'm asking with a build date of December 2020? Otherwise is there a way to tell by looking at the window, other than waiting to find wet cab?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
I cant help with that but i will say to keep your eyes open and be observant. I think the issues are mainly a problem with the 2019, but i could be making that up?

Barqs

Reaction score
Curious? Sorry I have read a good bit, but not all 1700 post. My trucks build date is 12 20. Would it have the same window that is prone to leaking cracks? I read some stuff that the replacements need a november 2020 date, so thats why I'm asking with a build date of December 2020? Otherwise is there a way to tell by looking at the window, other than waiting to find wet cab?

I bet the odds are good that you have a suspect window with a 12/20 build date, unless they were working on a JIT (Just In Time) schedule with the window supplier. And even then, I'm not convinced it has been "fixed" with the post 11/26/20 window dates. Just keep a close eye out on the areas just above the window separation for the sliding rear window for any signs of stress or cracking, and of course keep feeling your carpets under the seats whenever you get a good rain. I didn't see any leaks until I noticed my wet carpet and started watching more closely after a storm. A wet headliner is also common, but that could be from a leak around the 3rd brake light or the shark fin (sadly all common issues with the DT).

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Does your window leak? If not, then don’t worry and enjoy your truck.

Cheers,

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Someone posted pictures of what their NEW rear window looks like from the inside. I can’t find it. Can anyone repost?

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Does your window leak? If not, then don’t worry and enjoy your truck.

Cheers,
Oh I'm not worried. As I started my post, I'm just curious? I've been around forums long enough to realize that for every 1 with a problem there's a 100 or more that are all just fine.

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2 weeks since I took the truck in for them to get pictures of the cracks, received a call that the replacement 3rd brake light came in. When I asked about the status of the rear window I was told they weren't sure what I meant but they'd get back to me. That was a week ago and no new updates.

Not having a good feeling about this one.
Hi @SemperGumby, we certainly apologize for the delay you're experiencing. For additional support throughout the remainder of your service, please send our team a private message with your VIN! Thank you,

Kathryn
Ram Cares

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
Dealer confirmed it was the rear window for me. Parts on order with an eta of 5-7 days. Tentative appt. for this coming Thursday. Hopefully it solves the problem for a while.

ccm2001

Reaction score
i seen on the Facebook group the newer Backlite was a little bit thicker.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
i seen on the Facebook group the newer Backlite was a little bit thicker.
Well my brake light is not the issue I replaced it with the new brake light this week. Had moisture from being cold out not even a rain and when I got to where I was going water had leaked through in the same exact spot. I spoke to FCA and my case manager as well as the service department manager at my dealership. The dealership has me scheduled for the 21st and he says most likely I will need to get a new window installed.

A

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
no leak since but its been dry here and only went to car wash once in last two weeks all dry no clue about part # havnt got the pw yet in the mail from the dealer

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
no leak since but its been dry here and only went to car wash once in last two weeks all dry no clue about part # havnt got the pw yet in the mail from the dealer
Thanks. If not to much trouble could you let me know about the part#. I just want to make sure they use the new one and not an old one.

vietatran05

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anybody have the part number for the 3rd brake light torx screws?
Thanks

Barqs

Reaction score
Dropped my truck off this evening so the dealership can pull the rear seats out first thing in the morning before the "glass master" comes to replace the back window. I asked them to check the 3rd brake light as well since the last storm brought in quite a bit more water and soaked the headliner as well. I went ahead and ordered a new one and the torx screws (not sure why they would make a difference but for next to nothing in cost why not), but want to see if the dealership replaces it under warranty. Figured worst case I'd have a spare for 2022/23 when it starts leaking again.

Last edited:

dreinert

Reaction score
On the LED bulbs, I bought and installed the below from Amazon back in Sept 2018. All three (2 bed & middle brake) are still working as expected; took 30 sec a bulb to swap and no codes or otherwise since installed.

iBrightstar Newest 9-30V Super Bright Error Free T15 912 W16W 921 LED Bulbs with Projector replacement for Back Up Reverse Lights, Truck Cargo Lights, 3rd Brake Lights, Xenon White

Users who are viewing this thread