5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Just got the new AG 3rd brake light today I didn't notice any changes

The new light is just like my Light the ends with AF

AG they added the gasket seal on top just like the picture I posted
Just got the new AG 3rd brake light today I didn't notice any changes

The new light is just like my Light the ends with AF

AG they added the gasket seal on top just like the picture I posted a few pages back of the AF light
So the gasket is not even a different material? What a bunch of ******** what was the point of making it

ccm2001

Reaction score
So the gasket is not even a different material? What a bunch of ******** what was the point of making it
my invoice clearly says a diffrent part no so it should be somewhat diffrent. anyon with a 2021 can post a pic?

hoodac78

Reaction score
Received an update from my dealer today... fairly prompt actually... after 24hrs from seeing the truck, contacting FCA and confirming with the dealers bodyshop, the rear window replacement was ordered, confirmed in stock and should be arriving in 2 days.

I will add, for any Canadian owners, Kathryn from Ramcares provided me with all the information that I needed to verify the correct window part and STAR case which I immediately passed on to my Service and Warranty managers and I am convinced this tactic expedited my case and should provide me with the best chance of a successful repair.

After the window is replaced, a water test will be performed to confirm the sharkfin and third brake light are not leaking as we discovered some slight water marks around the rear passenger headliner speaker.

If any Canadian customers are in this process (which my dealer confirmed is extensive, they've replaced "many" already) please PM me or contact Kathryn through Ramcares for the information that should help you get the job done right.
I had mine replaced last week, and from getting the truck in and the window done was about a 3 week process. I brought the STAR case into the dealership with me, but the service guy told me not to worry about it when I showed him.......his truck had the same problem. The fix was approved by FCA and the process went pretty smooth. I washed the truck a few days ago and didn't see any leaks so it looks like it worked well. It'll be something that I have to keep an eye on going forward I guess. Glad things are working out for you too!

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
my invoice clearly says a diffrent part no so it should be somewhat diffrent. anyon with a 2021 can post a pic?
I just received my new third brake light in the mail. It indeed has a different seal than my original there is an additional seal above the main seal. I have posted new (left) and old (right) third brake lights below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 80

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I just received my new third brake light in the mail. It indeed has a different seal than my original there is an additional seal above the main seal. I have posted new (left) and old (right) third brake lights below.
I will also say again this is the part number ending in AG. The main seal is much thicker than what my original is. Seems to be made of the same foam like material. But I can definitely tell a big difference between new and used. My used one looks wasted now that I can compare with my eyes up close to the new modified one. Also again there is a second seal on the top side that adds an additional barrier from water or other intrusion. I HOPE this is the fix for me.

hamburgram

Reaction score
I will also say again this is the part number ending in AG. The main seal is much thicker than what my original is. Seems to be made of the same foam like material. But I can definitely tell a big difference between new and used. My used one looks wasted now that I can compare with my eyes up close to the new modified one. Also again there is a second seal on the top side that adds an additional barrier from water or other intrusion. I HOPE this is the fix for me.
Where did you order your 3rd brake light from and what was the full part number? Thanks

Last edited:

ccm2001

Reaction score
Do not order the extra gasket like my dealer did, it already has it installed.
the only diffrence is the little clips on the edge to secure the top gasket.

heres some photos

Attachments

• 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 70
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 72

ccm2001

Reaction score
let me know if yours still leaks... wich it probly would lol

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Do not order the extra gasket like my dealer did, it already has it installed.
the only diffrence is the little clips on the edge to secure the top gasket.

heres some photos
Share with me your experience with your next water test. I will do the same. Thanks.

ccm2001

Reaction score
Share with me your experience with your next water test. I will do the same. Thanks.
mine still leaks. i ordered the 3rd brake light before i found out the entry point.
try running water on the top roof weather strip away from the 3rd brake light and let me no.
i have warranty work in 3 weeks for my Emblems which are bubbling, if its still leaking then im assuming there going to replace the whole window after seeing the updated brake light.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well my glass is finally in but the glass man at my dealership is on vacation next week, so I'll have to wait another week before they swap it out. I just hope it's the correct "new" part number and not an old lot. They mentioned having to get it from another dealership instead of from the depot, which raises a flag.
If they have the part, they should confirm the part number. Ramcares stated the old windows should have been purged from dealer and depot stock. I would say a dealer to dealer supply chain is a huge red flag. Do everything in your power to confirm they are installing the latest revision or you will be going back again sooner or later.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
If they have the part, they should confirm the part number. Ramcares stated the old windows should have been purged from dealer and depot stock. I would say a dealer to dealer supply chain is a huge red flag. Do everything in your power to confirm they are installing the latest revision or you will be going back again sooner or later.
Do we know what the newest part number is for the rear window? Thanks.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
2 weeks since I took the truck in for them to get pictures of the cracks, received a call that the replacement 3rd brake light came in. When I asked about the status of the rear window I was told they weren't sure what I meant but they'd get back to me. That was a week ago and no new updates.

Not having a good feeling about this one.

Barqs

Reaction score
I'm hoping it's that easy to check the part number and date code. I had a printed copy of the STAR case but I couldn't read the part numbers and when I asked the parts manager about it he wasn't happy I questioned him doing his job. I know we all get defensive when we are asked if we know what we are doing in not so many words.

But after 6 weeks of waiting for a window and dealing with the water intrusion of spring showers, I really don't care if it's a new window or the old one. Mine is cracked and leaking, so I need a replacement now. If it cracks again, they'll order a new one and hopefully by then the parts supply will be in better shape.

Barqs

Reaction score
I can do better, here is a link to the STAR Case S2023000005 that Ramcares provided and it includes the correct part numbers and dates. Do not accept parts dated before the revision!

The PDF... View attachment 88470
So if you have a Laramie with tinted glass, power window and defroster you will want the last part number shown that has all the options? The "clear tinted glass" description was a bit confusing, as it's either clear glass or tinted glass in my book.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
@RamCares you have 86 pages of people here with the same issue, some having there back window replaced multiple times, why is it taking so long to get a replacement put in place that just works. I have had multiple rams 2012 1500, 2012 2500, 2014 1500, 2015 1500, and a late model year 2016 2500 all had a power sliding rear window with heated defrost, none of them had issue with cracking in the same spot as the 2019+ DT guys have had. Also this goes for the third brake light as well, relatively same design since 2009 people have been complaining about leaks more so since them, 2021 still same issue, at what point does that call for a redesign?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if you have a Laramie with tinted glass, power window and defroster you will want the last part number shown that has all the options? The "clear tinted glass" description was a bit confusing, as it's either clear glass or tinted glass in my book.
Yes, we are in the same boat, 4th number on the list. I'm suprised there are four combinations affected by this.

ccm2001

Reaction score
@RamCares you have 86 pages of people here with the same issue, some having there back window replaced multiple times, why is it taking so long to get a replacement put in place that just works. I have had multiple rams 2012 1500, 2012 2500, 2014 1500, 2015 1500, and a late model year 2016 2500 all had a power sliding rear window with heated defrost, none of them had issue with cracking in the same spot as the 2019+ DT guys have had. Also this goes for the third brake light as well, relatively same design since 2009 people have been complaining about leaks more so since them, 2021 still same issue, at what point does that call for a redesign?
there is a redesign, old stock has been purged, newer frame is little bit thicket

Users who are viewing this thread