5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I haven't seen my truck yet, but was told everything is done with putting everything back together for the rear window. Now they're giving the truck an inspection. The check engine light was for the purge control valve.

If it wasn't for the information online about the cracked rear window assembly, I would've never known. I never really pay that much attention to the back of the cab and rarely go back there. Mainly just to do a quick vacuum to keep things looking clean. Same thing with the water leak, I may have missed it.

I have no issues with having to get things fixed under warranty or for recalls. The main issue is if it's a major job, it's a coin flip if you get your truck back in one peice like you dropped it off. I have a family member that gets rid of vehicles just for a stone chip in the paint. lol

Bigga826

Reaction score
Dropped it off today, was told they need to replace complete rear window. Hope I dont have rattling or other issues when they put the rear back together. Freakin 3,000 miles on the truck and I have the new updated rear window.

Harpo61

Reaction score
I haven't seen my truck yet, but was told everything is done with putting everything back together for the rear window. Now they're giving the truck an inspection. The check engine light was for the purge control valve.

If it wasn't for the information online about the cracked rear window assembly, I would've never known. I never really pay that much attention to the back of the cab and rarely go back there. Mainly just to do a quick vacuum to keep things looking clean. Same thing with the water leak, I may have missed it.

I have no issues with having to get things fixed under warranty or for recalls. The main issue is if it's a major job, it's a coin flip if you get your truck back in one peice like you dropped it off. I have a family member that gets rid of vehicles just for a stone chip in the paint. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harpo61

Reaction score
I work for a manufacturer of Industrial and Commercial Printing Equipment and I do understand that nature of the beast !
We can not really know what parts are going to fail until we get a product out into a customers environment!
Hopefully they have a update on the this issue since it’s seems to be a issue with people having multiple rear windows replaced and still experiencing the same issue !
I currently have a 2015 Ford F-150 been a pretty good truck just a Base XLT 2WD Super Crew 3.5 na 164,000 miles in 5 years with only a problem I have had was crappy design glove box ! lug nuts that swelled and could not remove flat tire !
And the check engine light came on and I think it was minor repair that I can’t recall !
But otherwise I really like the Ram just to make sure they have a permanent fix for this problem!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The rear window
I work for a manufacturer of Industrial and Commercial Printing Equipment and I do understand that nature of the beast !
We can not really know what parts are going to fail until we get a product out into a customers environment!
Hopefully they have a update on the this issue since it’s seems to be a issue with people having multiple rear windows replaced and still experiencing the same issue !
I currently have a 2015 Ford F-150 been a pretty good truck just a Base XLT 2WD Super Crew 3.5 na 164,000 miles in 5 years with only a problem I have had was crappy design glove box ! lug nuts that swelled and could not remove flat tire !
And the check engine light came on and I think it was minor repair that I can’t recall !
But otherwise I really like the Ram just to make sure they have a permanent fix for this problem!

I believe it's the same manufacturers as the company who supplies GM. GM is also have big issues with rear window leaks on their current gen trucks (we have a GM and also on the forums). In fact, their window leak thread is bigger than ours.

Their leaks also appear to be based on frame cracks, though farther to the edges on the frame than on RAMs. The windows are slightly different designs, however coming from the same two suppliers.

Ford doesn't seem to have this issue, they use a different supplier. Like you, I also had a 2015 F150 XLT Supercab with a 2.7L, no issues at all. Definitely miss the power and fuel economy of that truck, but really love my Rebel :)

Harpo61

Reaction score
Yes I did read that ! I thought the windows looked similar!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yes I did read that ! I thought the windows looked similar!

The GM trucks have this top aero style fairing that covers the frame, but they are very similar with that removed.

Bigga826

Reaction score
My loaner is a jeep gladiator and guess wha?????

Attachments

• 20201020_081330.jpg
    20201020_081330.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20201020_081327.jpg
    20201020_081327.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 91

Scram1500

Reaction score
Apparently the engineers got the inspiration for the gasket material from a sponge

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Just finished picking my truck up at the dealer. Everything looks really good. Communication isn't the greatest at the dealer, but that for me is easily overlooked when guys do an excellent job like they did. I told them to tell the guys that worked on my truck they did a great job.

I was so focused on going over my truck looking for any damage or scratches and forgot to look at the rear window of a 2021. I couldn't find one scratch in anything.

Bigga826

Reaction score
Just finished picking my truck up at the dealer. Everything looks really good. Communication isn't the greatest at the dealer, but that for me is easily overlooked when guys do an excellent job like they did. I told them to tell the guys that worked on my truck they did a great job.

I was so focused on going over my truck looking for any damage or scratches and forgot to look at the rear window of a 2021. I couldn't find one scratch in anything.
As per my ram cares case manager, the 2020's have an updated rubber gasket on the 3rd brake light.

Harpo61

Reaction score
I am wondering if the new window is a different part # ?

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
As per my ram cares case manager, the 2020's have an updated rubber gasket on the 3rd brake light.
If I would've known that I would've pushed for the updated one. I did bring it up, but that's as far as it went. Unless they replaced it and I don't know about it. I was planning on just doing the gasket mod.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I would've known that I would've pushed for the updated one. I did bring it up, but that's as far as it went. Unless they replaced it and I don't know about it. I was planning on just doing the gasket mod.

There have been 2020s with leaking brake lights so I’d be suspicious of any stated change. Do the gasket mod. 1 hour later you’ll never ever have the problem again.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I was driving with family in the rain the other day and was told by my passenger the rear window was leaking. I take the truck in and they scheduled an appointment. While I was looking at it I noticed a crack in the top plastic window surround called the service advisor who said he thought it was supposed to be like that. I go see a friends and notice not crack. Took the truck back in today and the parts manager then comes looks at it and says oh yeah that’s not normal. And we will probably have to order an entire new rear window. What is going on with the quality control with Ram these days.
I haven’t had this issue, but the issues I have had. Been to 3 dealers now none of them took my concerns serious until I sent card in from lemon law book. I was treated like a king after that. Trying to get them to buy mine back, hope to hear very soon so I can move on! Good luck getting them to fix anything!

Users who are viewing this thread