5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

GARebel19

Reaction score
Wow. Not only did they do all that damage but they did a ****ty job trying to cover it up. I would be so pissed. Definitely take that back to the dealer to show them.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Wow. Not only did they do all that damage but they did a ****ty job trying to cover it up. I would be so pissed. Definitely take that back to the dealer to show them.

I will. I’m heading there tomorrow after work unannounced so someone’s not “gone for the day / he just left” when I get there. I take exceptionally good care of my vehicles and when I saw that I was like WTF! are u serious!! I had a feeling something like this was gonna happen.

Last edited:

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my truck back today from the dealership for the window replacement and I’m furious!! I didn’t notice this until I got home but someone destroyed the door jamb paint. They gouged the sh!t out of it, dented it and scratched / gouged the plastic trim too. I’m calling them tomorrow about this but not sure I even want them to try and fix it. The only thing I can think of is getting a signed letter from the dealership owner stating that I won’t be responsible for this damage if I get charged at my least end.

How does this even happen? This is a crew cab truck with a ton of space. They couldn’t get a seat out without fcking something up? And then to less then half a$$ “repair” it with sloppy a$$ touch up paint and then not even say anything to me as if I’m not gonna notice it!! SMH...

What do u guys think I should do? I know one thing for sure if this or any other vehicle I’m leasing starts leaking, it will stay that way. I will not take it in to avoid bullish!t like this.

View attachment 71054 View attachment 71055 View attachment 71056 View attachment 71057 View attachment 71058 View attachment 71059 View attachment 71061
Sorry this happened to you and hope you are able to resolve with the dealership. Did the new window stop the leaking or did you just replace the window because of cracks in the plastic. Thank you for a response.

BaseballDad

Reaction score
I took mine in for oil change yesterday and asked about having the window replaced. Have two visible cracks and showed them a video of it dripping from below the cracks during a rainstorm. The service advisor said I would need to make a different appointment and plan leave it for at least 3 days. Apparently, it needs to work it's way up in their queue and then they'll need to do a water test before they can get it approved and order a new window. All that seems like a colossal waste of time for an obvious defect. They don't offer loaners and I don't want to be without transportation while it's just sitting on their lot. Do all dealerships require a few days to diagnose this or would some look at the cracks and video and just order a new window?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took mine in for oil change yesterday and asked about having the window replaced. Have two visible cracks and showed them a video of it dripping from below the cracks during a rainstorm. The service advisor said I would need to make a different appointment and plan leave it for at least 3 days. Apparently, it needs to work it's way up in their queue and then they'll need to do a water test before they can get it approved and order a new window. All that seems like a colossal waste of time for an obvious defect. They don't offer loaners and I don't want to be without transportation while it's just sitting on their lot. Do all dealerships require a few days to diagnose this or would some look at the cracks and video and just order a new window?

Nope. On my first replacement I took to dealer on one day t show them. They took pics and submitted to fca for approval. It was installed and back in my hands the next afternoon

They don’t have to do a water test. There’s a star case on this that tells dealers if you see the cracks to go ahead and replace. Whether or not it leaks is not a factor.

The second time they replaced my window was also done within 2 days.

It could be they have to coordinate with a glass shop who is going to install it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Same like you, i went to dealer to drop the car off for software recall update also show the cracked line to the service advisor, he got approval for replacement that afternoon, got the car back next day.

AresSK

Reaction score
Glad I saw this thread. I have two cracks. April 2018 build.

IMG_0539.jpg
IMG_0538.jpg
IMG_0537.jpg

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Sorry this happened to you and hope you are able to resolve with the dealership. Did the new window stop the leaking or did you just replace the window because of cracks in the plastic. Thank you for a response.

Thanks. I’m not sure if it resolved my issue. I’m hoping it did. They said not to wash the truck for three days and it hasn’t rained either. I’m planning on washing it Saturday.

Last edited:

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Just an update...

I showed my truck to the general manager and new car manager about the damage after my window replacement. They were very apologetic about the situation. They were in agreement about repainting it if that’s what I wanted. But did mention I shouldn’t be charged at lease end. They said whatever I wanted to do, they’d make it right.

I talked to the repair shop they use and got a better understanding of how the whole process would go repairing and repainting that area. I feel confident that it should be resolved to my satisfaction. The repair shop will contact the dealer for approval and arrange everything next week most likely

Last edited:

Nodnarb

Reaction score
My 2020 rebel started leaking Sunday. Right about where 3rd light is. Also the bezel looks cracked. That a normal seam? Dropped off at dealer yesterday. Well see what they say.. is the consensus I should be getting a new window?

Video of leak:

An update to my issue. Dealer had my truck about 9 days, a loaner was given to me. They kept saying it was taking FCA a while to approve the new window.

New window installed, did my own water tests, no leaking so far. The receipt stated I had wet carpet behind seats that they cleaned. Hope that etorque battery is ok ;)

Update after work: Aaaand jinxed myself. Been a very light rainy day. Left work, drips on my seats and around window. Just dropped it back off at dealer with another loaner.

Last edited:

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I will. I’m heading there tomorrow after work unannounced so someone’s not “gone for the day / he just left” when I get there. I take exceptionally good care of my vehicles and when I saw that I was like WTF! are u serious!! I had a feeling something like this was gonna happen.

Sorry to hear this. I'm dropping mine off on Monday. My dad simply went in for a oil change and the guy driving it out of the shop hit a bollard right outside the garage door damaging his drivers side door. You can't fix stupid.

I told him many times I'll change his oil, but he insists he paid for a maintenance package.

In all honesty, I really don't care what happens to my truck anymore. It's a clunker with 4,555 miles on it.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
The check engine light is on on my truck and the remote start no longer works. The antenna is behind the back seat and most likely got wet from the cracked rear window assembly. I could smell the electrical burning smell. Only other thing I could think of at that point was burn baby burn. Only thing missing was the marshmallows.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The check engine light is on on my truck and the remote start no longer works. The antenna is behind the back seat and most likely got wet from the cracked rear window assembly. I could smell the electrical burning smell. Only other thing I could think of at that point was burn baby burn. Only thing missing was the marshmallows.

If the CEL is on the remote start won't work just like if there isn't enough fuel in vehicle the remote start won't work either. There are a couple antenna's in the truck for the fob.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. I'm dropping mine off on Monday. My dad simply went in for a oil change and the guy driving it out of the shop hit a bollard right outside the garage door damaging his drivers side door. You can't fix stupid.

I told him many times I'll change his oil, but he insists he paid for a maintenance package.

In all honesty, I really don't care what happens to my truck anymore. It's a clunker with 4,555 miles on it.

Thanks. That’s messed up about ur dads truck. Smh... People just don’t care anymore.

Last edited:

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
If the CEL is on the remote start won't work just like if there isn't enough fuel in vehicle the remote start won't work either. There are a couple antenna's in the truck for the fob.

That makes sense. I'll just be happy to get it fixed, then get rid of it. The plan was to stretch the life of the truck out as long as possible. If I could get 20 years out of it, great. At this rate the truck has proven to be a poor investment. I got the extended warranty, but my time is also valuable.

The good news out of this, I won't have to keep trying to find the time to spray the undercarriage with fluid film this year. I'll save what I have for my next truck.
That makes sense. I'll just be happy to get it fixed, then get rid of it. The plan was to stretch the life of the truck out as long as possible. If I could get 20 years out of it, great. At this rate the truck has proven to be a poor investment. I got the extended warranty, but my time is also valuable.

The good news out of this, I won't have to keep trying to find the time to spray the undercarriage with fluid film this year. I'll save what I have for my next truck.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I just got back from dropping my truck off and hoping for the best. The service guys were friendly and hopefully the guys working on my truck take care of it. So far my experience hasn't been the greatest with any of the dealers in my area. The outcome of this experience will be the deciding factor if I dump my Ram and Jeep and go back to Ford.

drect

Reaction score
Called dealer today to make "appointment" on this cracked/now leaking rear window issue. Need to wait over a week to get it in and leave for the whole day in order for a water leak person to test and diagnose (at least one day without truck). Is a water leak person appointment a normal procedure for dealers to diagnose this problem? Or can I reference this as a star case issue and get faster request and approval to replace? I have the cracks on both ends of the slider and now active leaking when rain. I have a thick towel shoved in for the time being.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Called dealer today to make "appointment" on this cracked/now leaking rear window issue. Need to wait over a week to get it in and leave for the whole day in order for a water leak person to test and diagnose (at least one day without truck). Is a water leak person appointment a normal procedure for dealers to diagnose this problem? Or can I reference this as a star case issue and get faster request and approval to replace? I have the cracks on both ends of the slider and now active leaking when rain. I have a thick towel shoved in for the time being.

No it doesn’t need to be. As long as you have visible cracks that is enough to trigger the repair. That’s per the star cases that are open on this. What you should do is drive to dealer with out appt and have them take photos of the crack and submit to to fca for approval. Whether or not it leaks is not the issue. As long as it’s cracked it’s qualified for a warranty repair. That’s why a water test is not necessary. The dealer can look up the star cases and see all the details.

Users who are viewing this thread