5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Supposedly the new design (part numbers after the -AC suffix depending on configuration) is supposed to fix this.

This supplier also supplies rear windows for GM trucks too and it seems those guys are having problems with them too.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in the minority on this issue, I guess, because my rear window leaked but did not have any cracks in the frame. Dealer's glass contractor replaced, although due to an installation problem it still leaked. No problems noted since.

Just checked the frame in the new window and I do not see any discoloration in the noted areas, or anywhere across the window frame.

Regards,
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035676 miles.

BaseballDad

Reaction score
I noticed the cracks on both sides of slider after I brought it home in November. However, had not really had it out in the rain until today. There was a steady drip from bottom of crack on left side. Took video to show dealer. Headliner was dry. Stuffed a towel on top of rear seats to keep as dry as possible. Hope to get it in soon to replace.

75Jimmy

Reaction score
I don’t know if it helps anyone, but I finally had the rear window replaced on my 2020 Rebel (build date 10/2019). Part number for the window assembly they put in was 68426398-AC, description is BACKLITE 2. It looks like that part number replaced part number 68303352-AC. Also, FWIW, I’m pretty sure the new window had a sticker on it that said it was made in CN, not USA.

8E4E20A4-2FB4-456B-B76B-571BEC51E331.png
Sticker looked like this:
9EFB698E-9648-490A-ABD3-872833FB1001.jpeg

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Mine cracked last week too, hopefully the dealer has the newer part for me as well. It's there now, likely to be done tomorrow. They got it in and ordered quickly.

omamatt

Reaction score
I don’t know if it helps anyone, but I finally had the rear window replaced on my 2020 Rebel (build date 10/2019). Part number for the window assembly they put in was 68426398-AC, description is BACKLITE 2. It looks like that part number replaced part number 68303352-AC. Also, FWIW, I’m pretty sure the new window had a sticker on it that said it was made in CN, not USA.

View attachment 62992
View attachment 62993

Does the window appear any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhiteLaramie2020

Reaction score

View attachment 62992
View attachment 62993
My 2020 Laramie (Build 7/19) is scheduled to go to the Dealership for replacement on Tuesday. I'll try and see what part# they put in. How long did they have your truck? I was told hopefully could be done in 2 but told me they need it for 3 days.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie (Build 7/19) is scheduled to go to the Dealership for replacement on Tuesday. I'll try and see what part# they put in. How long did they have your truck? I was told hopefully could be done in 2 but told me they need it for 3 days.

That is really depend on dealer and part on hand or warehouse, i bring mine in for recall and while at it i show my advisor the crack and he got it approved same day and they have part in stock so they sent the car to local glass company to get it done, glass company tried to get it done same day but couldn't so i get it back next day.

WhiteLaramie2020

Reaction score
Yeah, i brought it to them 2 weeks ago to get the approval process going i figured they would have to order the part which they did and of course I had to keep calling to check the status of approval. Pretty sure they were going to lets not do anything and see if he comes back. Got the whole we haven't seen anything like this before story. But they got an approval and took a few days to call back on scheduling. Their giving me a loaner so i guess thats why it so long not sure how many of them they have.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the window appear any different?
That's the rear window that I got last month.

It doesn't look any different other than there's no cracks in the frame, but the slider is quieter when I open/close it.

omamatt

Reaction score
That's the rear window that I got last month.

It doesn't look any different other than there's no cracks in the frame, but the slider is quieter when I open/close it.

Wonder if there is a way to tell what window was installed by factory during production. Mine was produced in Feb 2020 and the slider does seem ‘quiet’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
add me to the list. i have the same crack as everyone else (not talking about my a$$ crack either). mines a summer 2019 build, 2019 model. no leaks yet that im aware of, headliner is dry. going to just keep an eye on it, but i doubt itll stay dry forever. dreading taking it to a dealer

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Count me as another one with the problem. Thanks to this thread I just went and looked at mine. I have the crack on the drivers side of the sliding window and I can see some water spots on the glass. I’ll have to watch it and see if I can catch a picture of it leaking. Then I’ll take it in.

Has anyone had the crack and not had leaking problems? I’m just wondering if it‘s worth the trouble to have anything done, or if they would even do anything if it’s not leaking. I think I’ll watch mine, if it’s not leaking I’ll still let the dealer know so it’s on record.

Attachments

• 6406737D-FE11-4DC0-9E97-D3BFC98F0416.jpeg
    6406737D-FE11-4DC0-9E97-D3BFC98F0416.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
7-2019 build here, no sign of a crack yet but I check everyday as it's only a matter of time

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It doesn't need to be leaking to take it in, it's cracked and shouldn't be. Mine was cracked on both sides and never leaked, but was replaced under warranty without any problems.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
add me to the list. i have the same crack as everyone else (not talking about my a$$ crack either). mines a summer 2019 build, 2019 model. no leaks yet that im aware of, headliner is dry. going to just keep an eye on it, but i doubt itll stay dry forever. dreading taking it to a dealer
Count me as another one with the problem. Thanks to this thread I just went and looked at mine. I have the crack on the drivers side of the sliding window and I can see some water spots on the glass. I’ll have to watch it and see if I can catch a picture of it leaking. Then I’ll take it in.

Has anyone had the crack and not had leaking problems? I’m just wondering if it‘s worth the trouble to have anything done, or if they would even do anything if it’s not leaking. I think I’ll watch mine, if it’s not leaking I’ll still let the dealer know so it’s on record.
You could see the cracks in mine. The driver's one had been propagating for a bit so was noticeable and the passenger's side you could see a hairline in it unless you parked on an uneven surface then it was noticeable.

Mine wouldn't leak unless it rained pretty good or I put it through a car wash. I had no intention of waiting it out and dealing with it later so I took some pictures after a car wash with water on the inside coming from the crack and running down the window. Took it to the dealer, showed them the cracks (and the pictures of it leaking), and they got the approval to replace the rear glass.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It doesn't need to be leaking to take it in, it's cracked and shouldn't be. Mine was cracked on both sides and never leaked, but was replaced under warranty without any problems.

I understand that, my question is if I don’t see it leaking after a hard rain or a car wash can they just replace that plastic piece? I’m saying I’m not sure I want them to replace the whole back window just for that cracked plastic piece.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope would have to replace it all. I didn't have leaks as well but if its cracking you will leak eventually.
I’m going to wait until I can catch it leaking before I bring mine in. I have less than 0 faith in dealerships so I’m not going to bother until I have a picture of water coming through. Don’t want to waste my time arguing with them

Users who are viewing this thread